Register now to get rid of these ads!

*Tech Week* Building oversized oilpan for hv oil pump

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 47flyer, Sep 10, 2012.

1. 47flyer

47flyer

Ok this is a first for me on here so, go easy on me.

I am in the process of building a 6-71 blown 351w for my 47 pickup. I am running larger than spec bearing clearances and a hv oilpump. To feed the pump I need a oversized oil pan but really dont want to spend $300 for an aftermarket pan and pickup. So, I pulled a rear sump oil pan from a 97 Ford F150 truck with the pickup tube for $20 at a salvage yard.

1. I started by leveling the pan and filled it with 5qts of water and marked the depth in the pan.
    2. I then measured the engine bay to get an idea of what would fit dimensionally, finally ariving at 11" x 12" and a depth of 5".
    3. I calculated the volume of the pan (width x length x height) and converted the cubic inches to quarts. I then subtracted the volume of the factory sump (amount I poured in to hit the depth mark of the added sump) to determine the additional volume being added. This turned out to be 3 quarts.
    4. I knew I wanted the factor sump to be the bottom of the pan so I could retain the factor drain plug and pickup tube, so with paper, pencil and a scale I laid out the shape of the sump on paper. I then transfered this to a cardboard pattern to check fit.
    [​IMG]

5. I then transfered this to my steel (already 11" x 12"), sawed it out and checked fit.
    6. I then checked level both ways and marked a line around the pan to mark where the bottom "sat" on the sump.
    [​IMG]

7. I then drilled 1 1/2" holes (6 total) around the factory sump to allow the oil into the sump. I also believe the factory sump remaining will control the "slosh" of the oil.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. I then tacked it in place. I also ground the holes closer to the new sump bottom so that all the oil will drain from the pan. I have a handy form tool that makes fitting the curves of the pan closely a littler faster than the measure and trial method.
    [​IMG]

9. I then fit the "ends" and "sides" of the pan and tacked them in place, taking care to measure and square things as I went.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. After all the sides were ready to weld, I bolted the pan back to an engine block while I welded it, and left it there until it completely cooled to ensure the pan did not warp.

There you go, I used the factory in-block dip stick and and factory pickup tube. Hope this helps sombody else save $$$ on an oil pan.

2. ottoman

ottoman
    from Wisconsin

I have no problem with adding oil capacity and you did a nice job but its not needed just because you added a HV Pump. Just to prove it to some of my customers we put a HV big block pump on a small block circle track car in a lower class that had a "stock appearing" pan rule... no kickouts for extra capacity. Ran all season with no bearing problems. All it did was waste HP turning it.

3. 1950heavymetal

1950heavymetal

Now thats a creative oil pan! nice job.

4. 47flyer

47flyer

Thanks guys! I'll try to post up a pic with the painted pan and home made dipstick when I get it mounted up.

5. 47flyer

47flyer

What kind of bearing clearances did you run? I am running 0.0032" on the mains and 0.0025" on the rods. This is my first "competition" engine build and I have a good friend helping me out with it. He is a drag racer from way back and I made this pan based on his reccomendations. Thanks for the feedback.