Register now to get rid of these ads!

evolution of my A sedan

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by steevil, Oct 2, 2005.

1. steevil

steevil

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

it sits a little high right now..I guess that'll be my winter project.

I may channel it, I may chop it....I actually don't mind the high boy look.

I know I'm on the right track when the lawn chair set at cruise nights tell me I'm ruining my car.

eventually I want to end up with;

[​IMG]

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/404943

2. Kustm52

Kustm52

I know it's your car..... but I think pic #1 looked the best...

Brian

3. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

I agree. They all look good but i think you had it nailed at pic #1
    The last pic is reaching a point where the style is getting too overdone although I still like it too. just my opinion.:)

4. I gotta agree with the others,,,IMHO the sedan had the look in the 1st photo,,,,HRP

5. Retroline

Retroline

I don't own a lawn chair, but full fendered for that car looks right to me. Put em back on and build a new hiboy!

6. muffman58

muffman58

Gotta agree with the others, Put her back together! Why not build another one instead? That car is the inspiration for a car where building right now! If you do change anything, repaint it!

7. Skimmer

Skimmer

Put the fenders back on it looks the business with fenders

8. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

Exactly what everyone else says. Leave the fenders and hood on, and build a different car.

9. Kruzer63

Kruzer63

Well I always think differently then most people around here in this part of the country and I gotta say I LIKE IT as a hiboy. I know that car, i remember seeing it at super run in red deer a few years back i think. I am not just sayin that top be different, it looks great with fenders, but i have always been a diehard "non-fender nut". Could be from being brought up driving my dads 28 hiboy roadster until my sled was done. Now I am building a 28 sedan and I have it channelled way low and such. I like yours as a hiboy and dont think you need to channel it. Great look you got goin. You should bring it down to my Hot Rod Hijinx run next july down in southern sask.

10. KnuckleDragger

KnuckleDragger

I also like pic #1 the stance is killer. I think it looks perfect the way it was. I agree with every one else build another one and leave that one full fendered. just my two cents.

Jonney

11. Doug F.

Doug F.

I know I am just a FNG and all, but I am coming to your defense. I like your direction. My favorite is "door #5", your goal. I am crazy over chopped, channelled and z'd Tudors right now.

12. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

You know my preference, full fenders (with or w/o the hood - but with no hood, you need more carbs). Put the car back together and sell it if you want the chopped and channeled look. Starting with a another car if you want a more radical look is a better bet..

Did you have to remove the body to pull the aprons?

if you keep it fenderless, loose the rear nerf bar, just to wide for a fenderless car...

13. Chuck R

Chuck R

I have to admit I like pic #2 the best. I also agree with the others, leave this one alone and build a new one. Your car is great the way it is.
    Opinions are like belly buttons
    chuck

14. El Bombero

El Bombero

Maybe the heat gets to us Arizona guys.....I like the last pic the best. A lot of people bring up a good point, you might think of leaving that car the way it is and buliding another one. It would prob. be more cost effective. Just my thoughts.

15. Derek

Derek

Dude, I like that car. I've told you that before, both here and at other boards. That is one of the ones I always look for. The checkerboard firewall is sweet, and the color is nice too, seafom is a classic, without being gaudy. I like that car with the fenders on it also, if it were mine I would probably keep them on.

That being said, I have a '29, it won't have fenders, I'll probably do a mild channel, just enough to hide the frame and probably about 4 inches of chop. Just enough to bring the tall roof down. Mine is a basket though, not even nice enough to maybe look like yours does some day. I like the massive chop and channel looks, but there sure are lot that look like that nowadays, and to do it with such a nice specimen? I dunno man. It is your car, do what you like. But if it were mine I would not do anything to that car that I couldn't undo if I wanted too. Run it without the fenders for awhile, pull the hood off on occasion. I know you do that, because I've seen it. But I don't think I'd do any serious cutting and welding on that body. It is your ride though, and I will still keep up on it regardless, cause it's just a cool ride.

I think if you really want a seriously chopped and channeled tudor, buy a rusty one and do it up. But Steevil man, it's your car and I will dig whatever you do to it.

16. Flathead Youngin'

Flathead Youngin'

I agree dude, the first one had it! However, the last has it too......two totally different looking cars.....

Put it back together and build another......

I don't like saying anything bad about a guy's car, but pic 1 was one of my all time favorites.....anywhere!

17. Fry

Fry
    from SK, Canada

I like the the first pic has well but I think maybe with some different tires, fenderless would look better. Just not a big fan of the radials on a fenderless rod. Some nice raked rubber would suit it better.

18. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Ditto over here as well... #1 had it nailed...

19. myke

myke
    from SoCal

put it back the way it was and buy a ratty one if you are going to change it that much.

You could probly sell that one for more money than building that other one would cost.

20. SHRUM

SHRUM

Cut it. Channel it. and roast them tires.

21. steevil

steevil

Thanks for your opinions folks.

Yeah, the body had to come off to remove the fenders/splash aprons.

The great thing about Model A's is that you can remove the fenders without butchering the car.

I probably won't channel it in case I ever do want to put the fenders back on. Regardless of fendered or high-boy, it still sits a tad tall for my liking.

I definitely want to chop the top 4".

As for running high-boy, I may just run it as is for a season and get the ya's ya's out out of my system before I really consider doing irreprable damage like channeling it.

the truth is, the frame is a complete disaster.

The suspension is set up wrong, the frame isn't boxed and the engine sits too low on really scarey looking "cross-members".

In my mind, what I have is a really nice body/ fenders.

After lurking for a few years on the HAMB, i've learned the correct way to set up a frame and a closer inspection of what I currently have is hacked together if not borderline unsafe.

I would be embarrased to sell this car to somebody with the current frame under it.

I certainly don't think the car is beyond saving, but I have seen POS "rat-rods" with better engineering than what I have going on here.

This was only my second hot-rod and my first model A. Knowing what I know now, it would be down-right irresponsible for me to pass this car off as anything else but a "learning project".

I really do appreciate your opinions, I guess I have a very long, hard Canadian winter to think about what I should do next.
    Thanks!

22. I too liked the first pic, I miss the nerf bars it had on when you bought it, thought they looked cool but if it turns out like the last pic you posted, it would look equally as good to me as the first. Do your thing brother.

23. steevil

steevil

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

hopfully it'll look like this by next year...

24. Yo Baby

Yo Baby

"I know I'm on the right track when the lawn chair set at cruise nights tell me I'm ruining my car."

Fuck 'em and feed 'em fish heads!LOL
    IMHO,You are should go for what you want(know).You're the one that has to live with it and if you like it,that's what counts:cool: .
    T.OUT

25. DrJ

DrJ

I predict that Shoeboxes, '49-'54 Chevy's and Model A's, all with stock height roofs are going to be going for really big bucks in about 15-20 years because they will be so scarce. :rolleyes:

26. attitudor

attitudor
    from Finland

I have thought the same!!

27. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Steveil, Have you thought about finding another frame and over the winter build one to a better standard then you have now, you could Z the new frame to get it lower and then swap over your good parts from the existing frame and just drop the body on, allowing you do drive it as is for a little longer....

Oh ya, you have to loose the nerf bars if you go fenderless.....

28. Think BIGGER Bigs and LITTLER littles! Something in the 31" tall tire for the rear and a 24" tall in front. VW tires are perfect for the fron 155-70-15 or so. MNost guys dont have the balls to really run rubber rake.

29. spudz

spudz

Fuck Fenders!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

30. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

How long does it take ya to bolt them fenders off and on? You could drive it both ways. Depending on your mood.
    I actually like the way your heading with it. I'm not a fan of fenders on model A's. I don't think you can really go wrong with that car no matter what you do.
    Looks great!!

Josh