Register now to get rid of these ads!

Found my dads ol truck!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrodderhaag, Aug 6, 2012.

1. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

so,
    im a young guy, only 25... but back in the day my dad always drove the old trucks.. i was 2 when he came home with a texas 65 ford f-100 custom cab... a real sofft cream white...mom had taken a few pictures of it then... i remember my days of being a child, so young i couldnt see over the dash, but there i was, on the old hard bench seat, no car seat, staring at my dad as he held the truck on the road... listening to that 352 hum with its half worn out mufflers and the oil bath air cleaner.... my memories are a shiney white dash with red and chrome and knobs all over.... we had this truck till we move to town from out place in the country.. the last picture i had of this truck was my dad had shot a large 8 point in archery season, and he had the buck in the bed of this truck. well while attending a car cruise at our local antique power show a guy approached me and said " i know where your dads ol truck is" this gentleman had worked with my dad for years and he remembered me from way back.. it turns out his brother has it sitting in a garage. been in there for 20 years, never moved...... he told me his brother would more than likely part with it. he needed room in the garage....... so off i went that next weekend.. pulled in the drive and my heart was racing... i had finally found dads truck. the one vehicle i always wanted and could never have... the gentleman came walking out, as i introduced myself he said " i already know why your here".. so he walked over and flung up the garage door.. and there she sat..... twenty some years of dirt and garage junk.... sat my dads truck. the only thing that really stuck with me my entire life was that ol white ford... he told me.. "you want it? its your family truck, not mine.. hows $3500 sound.? " i studdered and just nodded my head.. i poked around for bout ten mins before he said well im going fishing. stop back next weekend.......... so i took some pics and wanted to share the story.. its the most exciting thing for me..

her it is 22 years ago
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

here it is now
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. TexasDart

TexasDart

and the rest of the story....you gonna get it...

3. hemifalcon

hemifalcon

I don't know how this is going to sound to you.. But, $3500 sounds quite high for the truck.. Don't let your emotional attachment pull on your wallet too hard.

4. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

Very cool!!!!
    What did your dad sell it for?

5. Trophydash

Trophydash
    from Tulsa, OK

That is too damn cool!
    It needs to come home.
    I have often wondered what happened to my dads '72 Ford truck, still have scars from sliding out of it onto those scaldin' hot side pipes!

6. The guys ripping you off! :eek:

7. shadams

shadams

Awesome story! I agree, not a $3500 dollar truck. More like $1000. Hope it all works out.

8. willymakeit

willymakeit

Con grats. There is no price on memories.
    My Daad had a 50 chevy convertible, lowered, baby blue with white walls. The engine and transmission were built at Ace machine shop in Whicata Ks. He sais stoplight to stoplight he could give V8's fits.
    He sold it in 57 and said the last time he saw it was in Forsyth Mo. All I have are pictures and the memories of him talking about it.
    I found another here a while back and thought about building it, but it wouldnt be the same. Dont let it get away.

9. oldiron73

oldiron73
    from WISCONSIN

Offer him less. Bring cash and wave it in his face and see what he says.
    Would be neat to keep it in the family.......

10. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

ok guys,, here it is, i bought it... $4000.. what was un said is it has a brand new with papers 352 engine... also it has a new rebuilt with papers trans.. and the truck is rock solid.... very very clean underneath. no dents . its just missing the molding... which it was when my dad had it too... and yes it is coming home for sure.. thats a 10,000$ truck in my eyes. cause when it comes home, my mom and dad with both love it. my dad sold it for 2500 back in the day.. but he was trying to help out a friend that had a new family and new wife and needed a truck to move. so he sold it to him.. this truck will be a perminant member of my family and my garage... it will enjoy the a.c. and heat in the shop

Last edited: Aug 6, 2012
  11. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

i gave him $4000 for some spare parts i wanted.

12. chopt49

chopt49

Glad you found the truck and bought it. Your parents will be emotional I am sure.

Make sure you video the first drive with your dad once its back on the road.

Wish I could find my dad's old cars...would not even know how to start.

13. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

few more pics guys

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Koz

Koz

Man! You are so lucky! I agree with some of the guys above the memories are worth way more than a couple of bucks which will be soon forgotten. I'd love to own one of my Dads old cars but the chances are pretty much non existant as they would be unaffordable to me at todays prices.

Congratulations on your good fortune.

15. oldolds

oldolds

Nice find, glad you got it.
    Just a note to all you down south guys. Those trucks were rust buckets here in the rust belt. Most of them didn't make it past 1970. So to find one at all let alone your pops old truck is just luck.

16. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

thanks.. you are very correct... we have one at home, a 62 ford short bed with the solid front axle and leaf springs that came from tenn... and its nice.. but not this nice.. this truck will be gorgeous with a wash job and get the junk off her.. but all that junk protected it from bird shit and kids with dads hammer and bikes.. lol.

17. Babar40

Babar40
    from Florida

Nice to continue the legacy of your Dad. Some things are worth more then money. Good luck with it!

18. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

We can't by shit in CT for $1000
    I think I need to move

19. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

we pay $1000 for a solid cab or bed up here, now if u want an odd one, like a late 70s supercab ford cab, your up about 1800 -2000 .... so thats how i look at things.... and its my dads truck.. when he is long gone and my family has fought over his belongings,i wont need anything cause ill always have his truck... always

20. 1934coupe

1934coupe

My sentiments exactly. Congratulations on buying it and not listening to your wallet. Some chances only come around once in life. Enjoy it and life while you can.

Pat

21. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

^ agreed. $1,000 doesn't get you any sort of a decent vehicle in the NY/NJ/Ct area. $4,000 for all of that is well-bought, I'd say.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2012
  22. mj40's

mj40's

x100 If it was mine I would have given it to you just to get it out of my way. :D

23. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

try living in pennsylvania some time.... trucks that are just starting to get rusty in your area have been a pile of dust here for twenty years

24. The 65-66 Ford trucks are still desirable in the deep South,,and finding and bringing home a old family piece is icing on the cake,,Congratulations! HRP

25. hallrods

hallrods

If you plan on keeping it the money is no big deal. You could find one cheaper But that wouldn't be your dads old truck. Glad you got it have fun with it don't worry what others say about the price. I paid 14000.00 for my fathers hot rod that was worth about 9000.00 so I think it was a good deal. I could have built a replica of the car but it's not the same.

26. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

thats exactly it.. a replica is not the same.. i have run across many long bed trucks like this, easily ready to drive and ones even the same color.
    but there not the same.. there not the one my dad drove, there not the one i rode in as a kid, and they sure as heck arent the same truck with a bed full of deer blood from the night my dad brought home the monster he had killed with a bow

27. Colville

Colville

That is great man!! Love the story, Congrats!!

28. I'm in the same boat...just got my dad's first car...the feeling of seeing it in my own garage is worth 10x what i payed for it. I looked at many simular, but waited 18 years for this original....well worth the wait and $. Congrats! Now get her home, clean her up and take Pops for a ride!

29. shadams

shadams

Sorry, I didnt even look at where you were at. I just assume everything I read on here is right down the street. But round here, no hood, non-running long bed trucks just dont bring that kinda money. But with a new engine and trans, and being my dads old truck, you bet I woulda paid out the ass for it....even here.

30. twistedridez

twistedridez

That's cool, good story!!!