Register now to get rid of these ads!

Magnum’-brand I-beam Axle Safety Warning

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by KUZTOM, Aug 1, 2012.

1. KUZTOM

KUZTOM

2. greazy john

greazy john

how can you tell if its a magnum axle?? i have a used 4" that i want to use under my 40 coupe and has no id marks on it ..any help would be useful to alot of us

3. Shhhhiiiiitttttttttt!

4. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

Yet anouther reason to ONLY run stock dropped axles

5. Yip there was one broken in Oz as well, apparently the metal wasn't mixed right giving it the structure or less of that of grey cast iron.

6. Here is the problem, Magnum evidently knows about the problem and should have a recall. That is the responsible thing to do, but they have no markings or lot numbers on the axles. This is poor manufacturing practice and anyone who has been around manufacturing for any amount of time knows that this is a poor manufacturing practice. Even your toaster has an identifiable sequence or batch number as well as a nomenclature tag of some sort to identify it as what it is and who built it.

Now this is going to sound political so if you may be offended by this sort of talk you should stop reading now:

In the United States we have an organization that claims to monitor the manufacture and sale of after market specialty automitive parts. This organization is called the SEMA and they are real good at touting manufacturers and in the past they have been real good at monitoring what is being done in the manufacture of the bits and pieces that we as rodders depend on.

Many of the people here on the HAMB are involved with the SEMA and this would be a good time to put a bug in their ear. It would be a simple thing for them to promote a simple manufacture practice like putting serial or lot numbers on the materials that they sell to us to as well as to put some sort of identification on the parts so that one can tell who's parts they have on their cars. Then when there is a problem with a batch of parts, which is inevitable with anything manufactured, there can be a recall and we can rest easy knowing that the parts that we have are not going to fail us at speed.

So contact the SEMA and put a bug in their ear.

OK off my soap box, sorry for the political rhetoric.

Benno

7. willymakeit

willymakeit

X2 pn pbeans comments.

8. willymakeit

willymakeit

X2 on pb 's comments. Have dyslecic fingers.

9. Harms Way

Harms Way

It's been covered,... in fact it looks like the same picture of the snapped off end.

10. I have no clue if they share the same casting facilities, but another well known axel manufacturer/ marketeer was selling "unusable seconds quality and for display only" axles as wall hangers garage art. Those had a logo in the center.

There's a few other threads about cast parts, not just axles although there are those too, failing from incorrect manufacturing processes. At least one is a "Ford factory licenced product"

Another yeah beaner !
    Who's the sema guys here ?

11. Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the Magnum axles are cast and not forged,Henry's & Chassis Engineering are the only axles I will use. HRP

12. Magnums as well as Bell are cast. According to the article there was a bad run of about 500 axles and magnum was aware of it but they have no way of knowing if they are getting all the bad axles back. Which is no doubt the truth.

I don't know where magnum axles are casty, Bell axles are cast close to home in Kansas.

13. Harms Way

Harms Way

14. Ole don

Ole don

Any good part like a crankshaft will ring like a bell when struck. I never tried it on an axle. Try standing an axle on end on a concrete floor, holding the top and balancing it with one finger. Rap it hard with a hammer. If it rings like a bell, its a good part. If it goes "Thunk", its cracked, or made of inferior metal.

15. someone is going to start talking about how cast axles are perfectly fine.....:rolleyes:

16. 19Fordy

19Fordy

The PDF file would not open when I clicked on it. Does anyone have a way of posting it so that it can be read. I would like to read it as I have a Magnum axle purchased on 12/27/2001 on my car. Is that one of the "bad batch" of castings? Thanks Jim

17. budd

budd

i bet somewhere in the US there are a bunch of guys sitting around a table, nice clean finger nails, dressed real nice, working on making a whole bunch of rules for all aftermarket hot rod parts, be careful what you wish for.

18. Harms Way

Harms Way

[​IMG]

19. Larry T

Larry T

20. After January 2008 could be potentially dangerous,
    after march 2009 is not necessarily safe.

Is what it says.

21. Hey Benno. I agree with you 100% on this one. Take that.

22. Now you are taking the fun out of it, I'll have to go back and change everythig that I said. :D

That is exactly why we need to police ourselves, which is what the SEMA started out to be. I believe that for the most part they still do it is just that instead of glad handing people at the convention they could be teaching them good solid manufacturing practice.

This is not out of desrespect for the SEMA it is just a suggested practice that could keep us from getting legislated out of existence.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2012
  23. Naw. You are a pretty smart guy and I have big shoulders. I think we are ok.

24. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

25. We both have big shoulders and have been around long enough to not get shook over much.

I have actually read a paper that showed that showed me to be intellegent. I don't know that it makes me very smart. If I were smart I could figure out a way to trade all these good looks in on wealth. :D:D