Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anybody know anything about Carson tops, chime in please

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Verbal Kint, Sep 25, 2005.

1. Alright,

Any HAMBers done your own window work on a carson top or seen it done?

Anybody done sedan post to hardtop door window sill swap/extensions or seen it done? I need a Winfield beginners class!

I had/have a plan, aw shit - well more of an idea for my '52 Pontiac 2dr post.

2 out of the 3 of us tend to drink as we plan but the sober is the actual instigator.

I have a line on a '52 chevy hardtop roof, complete dash mid/low cowl to 3" below the rear 3 pc glass. The hardtop rear side window sill channels are there but itll take some straightening, I'm told the wedge/cam block that takes the side rear windows up and over is absolutely essential for rear windows to function.

The plan is to take the above mentioned hunk of twisted crap and strip the top of the windshield (has catch rail for a vert, under the skin?), the side window upper rails, rear lower sill and blocks - and make a Carson Top for my pontiac.

Am I going to be able to fab/swap on some window rails/find a set of wing window frames/slot the back door edge - ah hell here is where the train of thought derails.

Thanks,
    s....

2. I'd take any advice or articles, anybody got one in the works

BTTT,

3. Docfranknstein

Docfranknstein

My 50 Chevy started out a sedan, it now has one of Gene's fiberglass carson tops, I used a chunk of old garnish molding ( from a ford no less) to add to the door tops to do away with the post sections. Are You going to build Your own carson topp? I'll post a picture of My Chevy. Doc

4. Docfranknstein

Docfranknstein

Car looks like this now, top was made from Merc rear section and shoe box Ford front section( as Gene has no Chevy carson tops) as far as windows go I'm gonna go with slide in rear qrers and roll ups in the doors. Doc

Attached Files:

5. Doc,

I'm planning on making my own top, actually a friend who makes fiberglass bodies is probably going to do the work, I'll stand around fetch tools and try not to get in the way.

So as far as windows go, you planning on making your own quarter windows and window frames? If I find/collect several GM hardtop window setups from the 50's I might get lucky and get enough to scab together.

I'd really like to find everything that I need for roll up rears.

Thanks for the info.

swdobbs.....

6. I asked the same thing a few months ago and got great responses. I think this is the thread http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=59711 If the link doesn't work you can click on my screen-name and it'll take you to my profile. Look for "Search for threads started by oldcarmike" and click on that. It'll be in there.

7. i want a carsontop for a 29 Roadster pickup! any pics or tips??

8. PONY

PONY

I cut the rusted out top off my 53 Ford 4 door earlier this spring. I had hoped for a dry summer to design and build a nice looking top. I hadn't seen one done for a 4 door but I thought "It can't be that hard?" (yea Right!!). It started raining two days later, I put fast plan togather and a faster top. I learned: It ain't easy, Plan way ahead, Windows are your enemy and anything that can go wrong, WILL! I have a top, It's Butt Ugly but it keeps out the rain. Deal with the windows First, Get the shape of the top right Before you commit, my frame looked good to me so I welded it up solid, but when I covered it, It got Ugly fast. I delt with the windows last almost as an afterthought and it shows. The thing looks like a Russian Hearst. Here's a couple pics of the frame early on, I posted finished pics on an earlier post but everyone had me for lunch. Good Luck and plan ahead..

Attached Files:

9. I going to have to have one of the '34 Carsons done by Ravon's, put on something.

Pony, the windows are going to kick my ass (I just have a feeling) thanks for the info, . I'm originally from Seattle.

swdobbs....