Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Paul Reichlin's Survivor 29 Model A coupe

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by hudsoncustom, Dec 14, 2011.

1. ***EDIT - Now with VIDEO***

My buddy, Paul Reichlin, asked me recently to help him out and take some photos of his Model A coupe so he could get it up for sale sometime soon. (**EDIT** He kept the car, and isn't selling it).

I thought you guys might appreciate the chance to see some photos of the car.

Paul bought this car in 1998 out of Mass. in non-runnng condition, and other than adding a running motor and headlights is completely original.

Apparantly, the car originally came out of Riverside CA, and he was told it was raced at Fontana and El Mirage, although no records of its racing history have surfaced to date.

It was built and owned by a Riverside guy named Ray Gonzales. It has a 1956 CA plate, with 59 tags, which was apparantly the last time it was registered in CA.

It's a pretty unique car, flathead powered, with the motor set WAY back in the chassis. Chopped and channelled, a solid mounted rear end, hand-operated rear brakes, with a solo center seat, it's a real challenge to drive! Paul's been known to drive this thing a few hundred miles at a time on the Swindlers' Poker runs, and around western WA to other events.

Enjoy!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

***And a couple VIDEOS for your viewing pleasure. Turn your speakers UP***
    <iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/TrPf3kUsbvY?hl=en&fs=1" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    <iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/VkRgfPT_tGQ?hl=en&fs=1" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    <iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/lxZNoB7Y-6k?hl=en&fs=1" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    <iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Kx3idQOI9Gk?hl=en&fs=1" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited: Mar 4, 2016
  2. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Interesting car. Good luck / have fun in tracking down it's history. Gary

3. castleman1111

castleman1111

wow!! nice period project!!

4. Cam VanDerHorst

Cam VanDerHorst

That thing is way cool. I hope the experts here can find some history on this thing for you.

5. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

I've followed, passed it sort of. But, I've been violently passed by that car. When it was stopped I had a chance to look inside. And that's when it really scared me. Damn, that thing reeks cool!

6. 562roadster

562roadster

Wow! Insanely cool. Let me know when it goes for sale.

7. couverkid

couverkid

Have looked at pauls coupe everytime I see it. Can never get enough. Wish he would keep it,such a neat car and a nice guy.

8. brady1929

brady1929

9. whiskerz

whiskerz
    from Ga.

wow !! I like it

10. RGG

RGG

Bitchin little coupe! I hope it always stays the same.

RGG

11. Mopar Jack

Mopar Jack

Now that some history...

12. CUTITUP53chevy

CUTITUP53chevy

13. deadgearhead

deadgearhead
    from Washington

I checked out this car at Billetproof a couple years ago and was dumbfounded. I had no idea that it had such a history.

14. Race City Rodz

Race City Rodz

Damn that is one awesome coupe, it screams Hot Rod!

15. TIG Man

TIG Man

Good God, that A is nuts! Nice job grabbing that one. Don't do shit to it! Lol

16. No kidding...and the sound of the car...it's unreal. You'd swear that flathead was running nitro.

17. SPEEDBARRONS

SPEEDBARRONS

Check the oil in the rear end!

18. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

That car is so great. All business.

19. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

20. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

Now, why would you say that?

21. draggler

draggler

Awesome is as awesome does!
    Sweet ole survivor!
    Any more history yet?

22. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

nice car... 2 wheel hand-operated rear brakes only?...in traffic, at speed?...braver than I am.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  23. I had the opportunity to drive this car recently. It's the opitme of a true hotrod in my opinion. Loud, fast, and scary as hell, the real deal. It gave me an idea of how things really were, and still should be. Badass little car, and Paul is a great guy.

24. Yep, rear hand-operated brakes only - and a solid mounted rear end to boot!!!

I doubt this thing was ever designed to be driven on the street. It had rear lights only, no headlights, so it may have been a race-only type car that was flat towed to the track / strip.

25. onekoolkat1950

onekoolkat1950

saw a pic of this coupe for the first time the other day and fell in love.this is the definition of a period hot rod.can't beleive someone has the testicular fortitude to run this thing on the street.hand brakes only and no suspension, wow!must be fun on a hill at a traffic light.

26. Joe King

Joe King

NO NO NO NO no No no no no no no nononononononnoooooo I don't want to buy it. Please never let me know when he want's to sell it for real

27. Noland

Noland

that car is awesome. looks wild to drive

28. LB+1

LB+1
    from 71291

I agree flat towed - More of a speed car than a drag car - Then could be early drag car - A must, to have a Good Back or Had - To drive it on a street run - WOW!

29. Man, you should see Paul in action driving this thing! It's like he has 4 arms. One on the wheel, one on the shifter, one on the brake handle, one hand signaling...

ha ha!

30. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Fuck that car is cool.