Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Power of the HAMB put to the test... Unsolved Mystery

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SamIyam, Dec 18, 2003.

1. I'm constantly amazed at how many questions get answered on the HAMB... in addition, I think it is safe to say that all HAMB'ers... thanks to the garage that ryan built... are only one person removed from every hot rodder known to man... and probably no more than two removed from every hot rodder to ever walk the face of the earth... think about it... someone here know's somone who can give a first hand account of practically everything you have ever read or seen in a hot rod magazine... or on the internet...

Sooo, as an exercise... and to put this theory to the test... I think it's high time that we solve a little bit of hot rodding history... and maybe put a feather in our cap in the process...

The Stu Hilborn streamliner...
    A recent peice in TRJ got me thinking...
    Stu Hilborn's streamliner hasn't been seen since 1954... when it was last seen... it was run as a dragster in the Tulsa Oaklahoma area...

so, this begs the question... do we have HAMB members in and around Tulsa (duh!) and if so... do they know someone who knows someone who remembers seeing the car run... if so, who ran it and what happened to it after that?

We may also get a tad bit closer to the mystery if one of us HAMB'ers know someone who has researched this a bit already... you guys know how you hunt down tin for a project... just think of this as something similar... only a little more challenging... and remember, we're not looking for people who doubt if it can be done... just for people who think they want to try and help put the puzzle back together (i.e. maybe the car got junked??)

Here's a pic of what we are looking for:

Attached Files:

2. ...and one of the chassis...

Attached Files:

3. ...and one of the front end (if someone can scan better pics... please do).

Also, who knows, maybe someone has a part of this thing, or has seen a piece that a buddy has... a bracket, an axle... a piece of skin... who knows.
    Sam.

Attached Files:

4. Thanks to Lowlife, I was able to get this pic off the Stu Hilborn post...
    So, now we know that some guy named Scott had a speed shop and he was in Tulsa... anyone know of this place?? Or know someone who knows someone... we need a name of the owner of that shop...
    Sam.

Attached Files:

5. Hot Rod To Hell

Hot Rod To Hell
    from Flint MI

Hey Sam... I heard somewhere that his name was Scott... [​IMG]

6. No answers, but maybe this will help.

Attached Files:

7. Thanks Hot Rod TH! [​IMG]

Also, WTF does it say on the hood?

Anyone have an old Tulsa phone book or records that can look up that phone number?
    It also looks as though the car got a new front axle as seen in the color photo... hmmm...
    Sam.

8. Here's a present day speed shop in Tulsa.
    Perhaps a phone call?

Daley's Speed Shop
    2304 Charles Page Blvd
    Tulsa, OK 74127-8421 Phone: (918) 592-7628

9. gettingreasy

gettingreasy

What a noble quest, would be a cool find in barn.
    -Jesse

10. gettingreasy

gettingreasy

It looks to say "Miss" something, if someone could find it's name it might be easier.
    -Jesse

11. gettingreasy

gettingreasy

Okay, i'm bored so i enlarged the pic and made her a lil' less blurry, her name is "Miss Cynthia Ann" never know it could help.
    -Jesse

12. DrJ

DrJ

Looks like Miss Cynthia Dee to mee. [​IMG]

13. tunglegubbin

tunglegubbin

Isn't that every girl's dream?
    To have a race car named after her.
    Wonder if it got him laid?

Stogy likes this.
  14. Deyomatic

Deyomatic
    from CT

Miss Cynthia Dee...
    Maybe it was a race horse he bet on. Or, maybe it was the name of his childhood sled. HMMMMMN.

At any rate, I think that speed shop will be getting alot of phone calls tomorrow morning.

15. gettingreasy

gettingreasy

It's Ann you prople are blind.
    -Jesse

16. Okay, well.... suppose Cynthia Ann was in her late teens, early twenties in the early fifties. (She'd be due to retire any day now, If she hasn't already.)
    And suppose our boy, John Doe "Scott" married his gal! So then, we could look for..."Cynthia Ann SCOTT"!
    Cuz of the Google machine, it turns out there's a Dental Hygienist in Sand Springs, just outside of Tulsa named C. A. S. Is it "Miss C.A." herself? A daughter of the two?
    quote:
    NAME: Scott, Cynthia Ann
    ADDRESS: 407 W. 35th Pl.
    CITY: Sand Springs ST: OK ZIP: 74063
    Coronal Polishing Cert#: 1782 X-Ray Cert#: 2085
    Nitrous Oxide Cert#: 179 Sealant Cert#:

I'm going to leave it for anyone else who wants to take it to the next step.

17. Sorry I can't help more, but you can't get much further away from Kansas than Australia!!! [​IMG]

Anyway, I scanned the pics at great personal peril to my issue of TRJ #24. Apologies to Steve and the crew at TRJ.

Here's the shot of the chassis again...

[​IMG]

A great shot of the profile. Sure was a trick machine. Check out the louvres. Looks like they start narrow then get wider towards the back. I'll have to check that later photo of it...

[​IMG]

That's Mr H. hisself on the left. Lookin' very "Jerry Lee" [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's a shot from dead on in front. Didn't quite get the scan right, but I wasn't prepared to bend my TRJ any more. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

...and finally a shot from the rear. She sure was a skinny little runt. I know a few HAMBers that won't be fitting in that sucker if they ever find it! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Stogy likes this.
  18. Hell,
    I don't know I'm still lookin' for my old Vic.
    Haven't seen it since '71. How 'bout it N Westerners. [​IMG]
    Last known whereabouts North Plains, OR. Wearin' a set of Speed Wheel Indys. And two tone tan 'n' cream.
    Oh, sorry to steel the post. [​IMG] [​IMG]

19. I got a phone # for Cynthia Ann Scott. I'll call here in a few minutes....

While we are waiting, does anyone have a copy of the 1948 Hot Rod Magazine with Hilborn's streamliner on the cover? Don't know if there was a feature inside but it was supposedly on the cover. Got it? Scan it.

JH

20. Lowlife

Lowlife
    from MO. USA

My pic above from the other Hilborn thread is from Genat's & Cox's new book The Birth Of Hot Rodding. Below is the caption that goes with it. If someone has a roster of that event or article, might give a owner's name or even a participant name one of us might recognize. Clearer pic in the book, definitely "Miss Cynthia Ann" and the ph.# is 8-3098.
    Anybody have a Popular Mechanics Hot Rod Handbook and Directory Of America's Finest Speed Shops, might be a lead there?

Attached Files:

Stogy likes this.
  21. Lowlife

Lowlife
    from MO. USA

One more from the Genat/Cox book, tight squeeze indeed!

Attached Files:

Stogy likes this.
  22. Are those wheel covers an off the shelf item? Those are cool.

23. Donzie

Donzie

[ QUOTE ]

And suppose our boy, John Doe "Scott" married his gal! So then, we could look for..."Cynthia Ann SCOTT"!

[/ QUOTE ]
    Couldn't the guy's first name be Scott? Ya know like, Bob's Speed Shop?

24. mr.midnite

mr.midnite

referring to the photo with the lid open and a 4 carb setup in the car as well as the injector setup on top of the hood, a man named Doc owns the carb setup and runs it on his personal ride, a flathead powered T. He purchased it off the wall from Scott's Speed way back when. It is a Miller setup that was used on Ford's Indy endeavor back in the thirties. According to Doc the car was parted out and the rest crushed in Cherryville Kansas a long long time ago. All the big money guys as well as Ford have been after him to sell this setup which he has no intention of doing.
    Sorry, the photo I referred to is in the other Hilborn post.
    Robert

25. Paul

Paul
    Editor

Sam your scan reads that the streamliner was originally owned by Bill Worth.
    Who built it, where was it built and when?

Maybe by going backwards other clues would surface.

Is there more info on the Chevy 4 with the Olds head?
    Was that a common combo?

Paul

26. The # I found for Cynthia Ann Scott was no longer in service.

Maybe I'll call Daley's Speed Shop.

JH

27. CruZer

CruZer

60's style, according to Don Montgomery's books and other sources,the Olds head (4 port) on the Chevy 4 was pretty popular back in the 30-40's.

Sam,this is a neat post.Thanks for asking the questions.I love mysteries.Wish I could help with the answers.

28. The part I find most interesting is that through all the years and changes is that the same front tires remain on the car.

29. voneyeball

voneyeball
    Alliance Vendor

DING! that's right, mr midnite.

i remember that setup! two different kinds of carbs, 3 of 1 ane 1 of the other. runs off the 1 until it's kicked in the head? that right?

docs car is tasty indeed. where is he from? oklahoma i think? dark green with enough cool stuff to give a hamber wood...fiberglass body though, don't get it...

he is usually here in springfield for the world of wheels show which should be coming up, if noone knows how to get in touch with him...

30. Two-Gun Bob

Two-Gun Bob

60's Style, the Oldsmobile head bolts directly onto the Chevy block; the advantage is that the Olds head had three exhaust ports versus the one port (1926 and earlier) or two ports (1927 and 1928) on the Chevy head. There are a couple of guys making adaptor plates to mount the Chevy or Olds head on Ford Model T or A blocks as a relatively cheap OHV conversion. I hope to eventually do that for a Model T speedster which is one of my long-term projects...