Register now to get rid of these ads!

•••HAMB DRAGS 2011 PICTORIAL: IRON LORDS Roadtrip!•••

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JeffreyJames, Aug 22, 2011.

1. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

[​IMG]

Well as you all know the HAMB drags was this past weekend and I really had no idea that I'd be attending until Thursday. I mean 19 hours is a lot to drive for a one day show especially when it's in Joplin, MO as place I never really
    thought to go. However I am so glad the stars aligned for me to go because it was a trip I'll always remember.

See on Wednesday I didn't have the money to go and my friend Jeremy as well as Dustin and HippyJosh had planned on going up to to get a '40 Merc that Jeremy had just bought. They planned on getting that car the same weekend as the HAMB Drags so that driving all those hours just for a car didn't seem so bad. But with me trying to finish my '35 the money just wasn't there to spend on "extra" things. Then on Wednesday night Jeremy's truck that he had lined up to tow the car back with fell through. They needed to think quick so I offered my truck to them as long as I could be exempt from paying for gas and a hotel which worked out great for all parties!!!

So we headed out at 3am and began the journey to Missouri first to pick up Jeremy's car. I thought I was going to sleep the first few hours but I think we were all so stoked about the weekend we didn't bother. We pulled out of Huntersville, NC and headed west on I40 through Asheville towards Nashville.

We were like crackheads looking for our next "hit" and our drug of choice is girlie drinks from Starbucks. We couldn't find one once they opened until almost Nashville.
    [​IMG]

Seen some really pretty country on the way up....
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nashville....
    [​IMG]

I packed a DVD player and some required movies for the drive. Everything from Brian Darwas films and Mad Fab videos to the essential stylings of Dalton....
    [​IMG]

Mississippi River. DEEEEEEEEPPPPP RIVER.... The Ol' Missisip!
    [​IMG]

Hit St. Louis at like 4pm I think. Dustin really appreciated the The Gateway Arch.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The '40 Merc that Jeremy bought was about an hour north of St. Louis. It was in a warehouse where Porsche clones were being produced. The gentleman had told Jeremy that someone really fucked this car up by channeling it, raising the fenders, sectioning the hood and installing a '51 Cad with a Ford 3spd behind it. Right then and there we were on edge to see what the hell he bought! This is what we seen when we opened the building.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This car is going to be awesome!!! Not sure if we'll figure out who built it but the last title on the car was from 1962 and I think that's when this gentleman got it. Just like he said the fenders have been raised, the hood sectioned, and channeled 4-6" inches over the hood. I believe the rear tailights were from a 1961 Vette from the hold but that's just a guess. Oddly enough even though this guys dealt with Porsche's he was having a Ardun powered roadster build by a guy in Wisconsin presently which I was super interested to hear about. The old man had a ton of piss and vinegar left in him.

Here were some of his toys...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

We then got to Joplin late at night and were stoked to see all the car in the parking lot and people hootin' and a hollerin' outside our hotel. Said hello to Denise and some Sock Fuckers and decided to get some grub before calling it a night. I was lucky enough to share a bed with Dustin who doesn't wear a t shirt to bed but instead where's a Sweater.
    [​IMG]

Woke up the next morning and headed to Denny's for some breakfast. Had a good meal and decided we needed more Starbucks before heading to the Big Show! As we drove to the Mokan we witnessed some of the destruction that had occurred this year when a tornado ripped through the town. Our hearts really went out to those people as they were all trying to get Joplin back into shape and get on with their lives.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Arrived at Mokan Dragstrip about quarter after 11am. It was already packed and the PA system was already letting people know what's up. Seen a lot of familiar faces and met some new ones. Great day to say the least.

Here's some images from the day. I took a bunch with my Nikon that I'll post up later but I felt like my iPhone would give a cool glimpse into a show that if it were not for the modern trucks pulling some of the car drag cars in would really feel like a time warp back to say the 60's....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My favorite car there hands down. Love it.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cactus1. Really wished I would have caught up and talk to you a bit man. Next time!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think this is my favorite shot with my phone. It looks like a shot that wasn't staged and could have been taken mid 60's.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 22, 2011
  3. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Love this one too!
    [​IMG]

DFTR. Don't Fear the Reaper.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jive Five?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

T Bag the Ripper.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

The Guys from California were awesome. This car just gave me goosebumps.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Talked to KiwiKev for quite a bit and he's really the salt of the earth. Nicest dude and I ended up trading a Iron Lords Support Shirt for one of his Nasty Habits. Thanks Kev!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

301 powered Deucebag.. This thing was a screamer for sure!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Headed back the next morning at 3:30am after a early night of some dinner and then some bench racing. I slept and snored a few of the first hours but woke to some misty mountain tops.

[​IMG]

Back over the Big River...
    [​IMG]

Cairo....
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tight Squeeze
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Watched some of Evel's oldies but goodies and well as some Kenny Fucking Powers....
    [​IMG]

Thought we lost HippyJosh to Kidnappers in this van when we stopped to get pizza with a health code score of 84. He was just in the gas station though...
    [​IMG]

Got home at 8:30pm last night and slept like a baby. I had a great trip and it was one I'll never forget. The guys that I went with were the best and kept me laughing all weekend long. THANK YOU JEREMY, DUSTIN, and HIPPYJOSH, I can't wait to do it again guys!!!!

I would also like to thank Ryan (nice seeing you again bud) and all those that helped to put on what really was the best damn drag racing exhibition on the planet!!!! Also thanks to all the warm welcomes that we got through out the weekend. I loved seeing all of you and can't wait until the next time. Good times had by all.

6. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

These videos were also taken with my phone so the quality isn't great much like the photos but it'll give you an idea of the action....

<iframe width="420" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/FqekNdRRHwY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/V806hJ7uUNI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/sRXuZoCZWNo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/6HIOZxYeZ1k" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/g6fwDJMmEIE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/w9cweYWo5IY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/r4mFrc4vxKo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

7. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

You guys did like your S-bucks. Nice meeting you @ MOKAN as we loaded the 'late model' with our 2 year old son Henry to feed him lunch and nap-time.

Chris

8. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Really glad you guys made it... I'm sure you'll have to go next year now.

9. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

Nice pics JJ! Can't wait to hear all the hairy snuggler details Wednesday night!

10. RalphyBoy161

RalphyBoy161

love the effects on your shots,thanks

11. Great thread! Squeek's sedan rules hard....

12. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

great shots of a great event!!

13. kingpins

kingpins

14. I tried to sell that Merc on here forever, just glan someone bought it and is enjoying it.

15. "Sweater"......priceless!

16. hotdamn

hotdamn

damn I hate I couldnt have made it...

looks like a blast!

and thanks JJ for having such a eye for style, what a rad thread:)

and thanks to apple for making rad apps for JJ to use :D

17. Sparkswillfly

Sparkswillfly
    from Colorado

Cool pictures, thanks for posting.

18. tonkadawg

tonkadawg

great pictures - thanks for sharing!

19. NealinCA

NealinCA

Love the "vintage" photos. Looked like a turnout of great quality cars. Thanks for sharing!

Neal

20. farmer12

farmer12

Cool pics and vids JJ! Thanks.

21. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Cool photos, man. It was good to see you again and meet Jeremy, Dustin, and Josh.
    Wish we had longer to talk and hang out...

Malcolm

22. Church

Church
    from South Bay

Great stuff JJ. Thanks a bunch for sharing... and sometimes over-sharing.

23. ^^^^^That's what Iron Lords do best!

24. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Ahahaha!!! I always do. I can't give you just the gold with out making you work through some shots of "Sweater Vests" and shitholes! I left out the part where I accidentally cradled Dustin's ass all night because I'm used to sleeping with Davina. :D

25. (.....Block the image......)

26. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Don't fight it B Ford C. There was a lot of Man on Man love going on there between the 4 of us even though it was platonic. Those dudes are like Brothers so a little ass grabbing never hurt. Oh god, this thread is going to head south really quick.

Hurry someone comment on the 145mph pass that Zorba's Ghost made!!!!

27. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

ALSO can I just say that the PURPLE PEOPLE'S EATER is the Sketchiest Car I have ever seen go down a track? There's about a beer can size window of visibility and the front end shakes like a leaf down the track but Marky keeps his foot in it and dig dig digs!!!!!

I was really happy to finally see that car in person. Crazy.

28. billys54

billys54

29. coolstuff

coolstuff
    from Bettendorf

wow - great thread- I had to choose....HAMB drags or Relix Riot - it was fun to hang out with friends at Relix Riot - but I do miss the sounds of vintage rides rolling down the strip!!!

LOVELOVELOVE the pix

30. stealthcruiser

stealthcruiser

Good to see your collective asses!!!!