Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Looking for Bonneville HAMB guys help.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CG, Aug 15, 2011.

1. I guess this is a little off topic, but there is really no where else for me to get the help Im looking for.

Got in line to buy souvenir Speed Week shirts for my sons and granddaughter. Probably in line for close to half an hour. A few of us were shooting the shit. One guy was from Ontario, rode his bike down, first trip to the salt. The other guy was from Montana. He was helping crew for someone, I believe they were out of California?

So I was almost to the front of the line and the lady announces they cant take debit or credit because of a bad signal to the machine. Well that sucked huge for me since I had no cash left (spent it buying shirts from racers) ... The fella from Montana says he has cash he can give me, I say hey that's great. Ill run into town and grab the cash and bring it back to you right away.

So he gives me 60 bucks. His line moves a little faster than mine. He grabs his shirts and starts to leave. I yell out to him, hey where are you guys in the pits? Then the lady wants my order. I grab my shirts and the guy is gone.

I couldnt find him anywhere. I walked the entire pits from the shirt stand to the five mile end of the pits and back. Let me tell you that's a helluva walk, especially in the sun lol.

Sunday, I do the same thing. Start at one end walk to the other and back down again. I looked for him, for Montana plates and forking nothing. I feel like shit now cause I have this guys money that he was kind enough to lend to me.

So if you know this guy tell him I'm looking for him. He's probably around 6'3" (give or take) Brown hair. Crewing for someone. And he's from Montana.

I know its hardly any info and huge longshot, but I have seen some crazy stuff happen here on the HAMB.

Thanks for any help ...

Mark

2. brady1929

brady1929

It's really nice that you are trying to track this guy down.

3. edweird

edweird

i dont know you or him.but damn i do admire your honesty. we need more of that in this world.my hat is off to you!..................and i do hope you find him.

4. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

5. I see a bunch of guys are just getting home so I'm gonna bump this, thanks.

Mark

Im too slow lol, Thanks JJ

6. resqd37Zep

resqd37Zep
    from Nor Cal

Thats what the HAMB is all about in my eye's. Nothing hurts worse than getting screwed by a fellow HAMB member. I commend you for your efforts!

7. Morning bump

8. Nother bump. Looks like Im going to have to keep an extra 60 bucks in my pocket every year on my Bonneville trip.

I feel like such a shit that this happened!

9. Hey thanks C&C. Ill try those when I get home tonight. Really appreciate your input!

Mark

10. RidgeRunner

RidgeRunner
    from Western MA

You might try a notice over on one of the www.landracing.com forum threads, maybe Bonneville 2011 specific. He or one of his fellow crewmember buddies might pick up on it there. Might also get some clues from the program if they were preregistered and you know what type of car or bike they were running.

I applaud your honesty and effort to keep things right!

Ed

11. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

Check the 'landracing' board & post on the "Landspeed" email list. I can almost bet that they guy is still on the salt til' this afternoon.

Chris Nelson
    Kansas

Oh yea, good on ya' for trying to track down the guy. I have done the "pay it forward" many of times. I helped a guy with gas in his car (I keep an empty gas can in my trunk of the daily) & some guy ran outta' gas once on his way to work & I went to get him a 'gallon' & he told me that he only had $3.00 cash on him & I told him to put it back in his pocket and "A man should always have a couple of bucks in his pocket"........My grandfather passed that saying down to me & he used to help others out back in the day during some hard times.

12. Take this from an old guy he wasn't loaning you the money. Be Thankful and pay it forward.

13. barqsnut

barqsnut
    from Pearl, MS

This was my first year at Bonneville and I can see that happening. I did not see one surly face, saw no acts of unkindness in word or deed and was met with openess and cheerfulness through out the pits, vendor area, or anywhere I went. One thing that stood out in my mind after I left and was reflecting as I drove the 1800 miles back home was the fact that I never saw a cop of any kind on the salt (of course the BLM guys were at the Bend). I think that speaks volumes about the kind of folks the event attracts.

14. I'm not a member of the land racing forum. If someone that is a member there reads this thread, would you please post a link to this thread over there? I would really appreciate it ... thanks!

Mark

15. BadbeatFactory

BadbeatFactory

Thats because everyone is an adult and is there to have a good time = no assholes...and what has the BLM done...NOTHING!!

(had to be at saturday morning meeting to understand BLM joke)

16. Will do,nice chatting with you!:)

17. I'll post a link to-from the NW Hambers Social Group

Movin/on

18. Bobby Green

Bobby Green

The Dodge boys that usually run a 30's Dodge 4 banger are from Montana. They didn't run this year but were out there crewing for another team. Dan, I believe is his name. Fit's your description. Could be him. I don't have his contact info........ but here is his site: http://www.fastfourspecial.com/

19. iammarvin

iammarvin
    BANNED
    from Tulare, Ca

BTTT. Good on all...............

20. Morrisman

Morrisman
    from England

I was in some sleaze-hole bar in Singapore about twenty years ago, went for a dump, and as I dropped my pants I heard a crack. Yes, my credit card was bust in two. I had no cash, and already had a bar tab, and an American dude at the bar gave me fifty bucks to get drunk with. Not a loan, not a 'give it back next time you see me', but a gift.

I still appreciate that act of generosity between two fellow drunks in the ass-end of the world. :D

21. NINE INCH

NINE INCH

This thread says it all. My EXACT feelings of the Bonneville experience. Great place, and people from the best side of life. I totally dig it, and the people you meet?........The Greatest. The way we we're treated there by strangers, I could get all mushy about. One BIG family.:) I think you'll find your man, here. But....He will probably deny he gave you the $$$. If the whole world was this way......

22. Well I looked through all the pics on that website and non of those guys looked like him to me, but Im sure going to send them an email and see if I can turn anything up. I really appreciate everyone's input.

And as far as the Bonneville experience goes, in my mind you wont find a better group of people. I cant tell you how many times I was asked to come on in and have a beverage or even have lunch with people I had just met. Salt of the earth I tell you =)

Mark

23. VonWegener

VonWegener

Dear Hamb
    I just got back from Bonneville and I will never go there again. I loaned some kid $60 so he could pay for his shirts and not hold up the line any longer. That was money I had saved to buy Brasso to polish my dead Granma's urn like I do every sunday. Now the poor lady has to live in an oxidized hell. She was always so proper.
    Signed
    Disappointed in Montana

24. firingorder1

firingorder1

Shit like that happens all the time at Bonneville. Where else can you tow to the start to make a run and leave all your tools, spares etc. laying out in the open and KNOW they will be there when you get back? I don't take the keys out of my RV because I might lose them. My tool box sat on my trailer all week. That's the beauty of Bonneville. Cool people only. Assholes need not apply.

25. NV rodr

NV rodr
    from Reno, NV

Not only do we leave our stuff out during a run but we leave our car and everything out overnight for the whole week. It is easier than loading the trailer every night. Thats the beauty of Bonneville

26. thirdstreettito

thirdstreettito

Dang Mark, you get nicer everytime I talk to you. It's a helluva good thing tracking the guy down. Mad props to you Mark. :)

27. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

A few years ago on the way to Bonn. I saw an old pickup and camper on the side of the road. It was pulling a trailer with a K model Harley. I stopped behind it and asked if I could help. A big dude with a long white beard introduced himself as Fritz. He said he had a friend going into town for a rebuilt starter but couldn't get the old one off because all he had was 1/2 inch sockets. I pulled out a 3/8 in set and handed it to him and said I would pick them up at the salt. That night at the hotel car show he found me and returned them. I just found out last week at the salt that he had died.
    RIP Fritz. You were a good man.

28. mtkawboy

mtkawboy

4 guys & a girl in their late 20s from Oregon parked by us with no shade with a rented motor home, 3 of them were double engineers, one an ex marine. We let them use the shade of both canopies, ride the bike thru the pits etc. I told them we would leave the shade for them when we left for the day. All I asked was that they drop the frames down & put the tops in the motorhome. I explained to them how fast the wind & rain could come up and how bad it could get. Did they do what I asked, no they lied to me and said they did. They left the frame up and stuffed the tops under the ground tarps. That worked Ok saturday so they did the same sunday. Monday we come out there and everything but the frames is gone from the storm, both tops and the ground tarp were history. Some people you just cant be nice to. We had to scrounge thru the dumpster to find some shade to put up. They were sorry and we are out $250 worth of canopys. Im sure the 3 engineers made the decision to do it. As a retired lineman I have a lot of experience with engineers. Yes, there are good people at Bonneville, I was one of them & thats the thanks I got for it. Im from Montana too

Last edited: Aug 21, 2011