Register now to get rid of these ads!

46 ford Coupe build..

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bbr, Aug 10, 2011.

1. bbr

bbr
    from Missouri

hi i am 26, i have been in to sand racing atv's for 8 years, and have a couple of late model mustangs. i recently decided it is time to get out of the atv racing and actually build an older car...i had the chopped pickup in my avatar for a while but could not get into fixing it up...so i swapped it for this car...i have been trying to buy the car for 6 years and the guy finally decided he would come off of it..when i first looked at it then it was not beat up in the front end and in better shape rust wise of course since it was a true "field car". i had to put a different axle under the front and straighten up the "tacked in" but busted loose and crooked s-10 rear suspension that he had stuck up underneath the rear after robbing front spindles, rear end and spring...after that....one drum was locked up on the front axle...so we tugged it up on the trailer with another truck.....got it home and spent 2 hours and finally got the drum loosened up enough it will roll now...sand blasted the rear fender and primed it. i am lucky because a guy on my way home from work has a 48 2 door sedan with some good parts left for the pickin and he has been treating me real right on the parts i need ( and some i dont)lol i figure it is good to have spares...i picked the whole front clip minus hood,both complete doors, tail lights and all the stainless but the hood peices for the belt line. i am selling/parting my atv so as money comes in i will be ordering mustang 2 parts to start with. i have a complete 5 speed and accessories out of a 97 mustang to go in it along with a stock 5.0, master cylinder and booster included. Here are the pics...

Attached Files:

• 46F.jpg
      46F.jpg
      File size:
      458.7 KB
      Views:
    • 46FF.jpg
      46FF.jpg
      File size:
      487.7 KB
      Views:
    • 46FL.jpg
      46FL.jpg
      File size:
      472.9 KB
      Views:
    • 46FLR.jpg
      46FLR.jpg
      File size:
      466.5 KB
      Views:
    • 46FP.jpg
      46FP.jpg
      File size:
      468.2 KB
      Views:
    • 46FR.jpg
      46FR.jpg
      File size:
      446.6 KB
      Views:
  2. oldspert

oldspert
    from Texas

I don't know what you are looking at for rear suspension but I have a thread on here about how to put a metric chassis GM rear end under your 46. This gives you a triangulated four bar setup that is a factory design, coil springs, and a terrific ride. Most people go with a parallel leaf spring setup, but if you will search my thread you will see how easy it is to graft this rear suspension into your frame.

3. bbr

bbr
    from Missouri

i will have to do that thank you. i was looking on here for different ideas of what to do but had not found any yet.

car still has the factory flat head and 3 speed in it so i have to pull that out.....

4. koolkemp

koolkemp

I wish I had that much to start with lol! Looks like you got lots to work with ,looking forward to your progress!

5. bbr

bbr
    from Missouri

koolkemp i was admiring your build topic the other day. i have a lot of work ahead of me and a minimal budget so mine will be a slow one. i have been doing a little sand blasting here and there.i hope to make a little progress you can see in pictures this weekend....

6. koolkemp

koolkemp

You can still do alot with no money ...get all the dirty work out of the way , cleaning, grinding ,patching, sandblasting etc . Looking forward to some new pics!

7. bbr

bbr
    from Missouri

i got a little accomplished this weekend...the rusty bolts/cage nuts have given me a huge fit...got the smashed up front end off of the car finally after many hours of fighting it. then disassembled it...there is some salvageable of it that i will put back for safe keeping. pulled off all 4 of the lever action shocks and the front sway bar that looked to be in decent shape still also. took the time and sand blasted the deck lid and put some primer on it. this week i plan on taking it to a buddys shop where we will have a lift and concrete floor to pull the motor and tranny out. i just bought this house i am at about 3 months ago and my 30x50 shop has a gravel floor in it yet. here are the pics...my dog, clutch is my pack rat killer and my little helpers pic included also.

Attached Files:

8. Good to see you're getting started. Lots of work you can do without spending a ton of money. You're little guy will be more help than you might think-sometimes those little arms and hands can be pretty handy (no pun intended) to get into places when you need to start a nut or hold a wrench.;)
    You also won't believe what those little guys can remember-just loose patience and swear once....

9. bbr

bbr
    from Missouri

debating if i should get a bigger truck.....getting ready to take the original heart out.....

Attached Files:

10. koolkemp

koolkemp

You arent messin around ! Looking good ,and I really think you should have a bigger truck if yer gonna be towing anything on that car trailer!

11. Hot Rod Elvis

Hot Rod Elvis

If you're not gonna use that old piece of trash flattie...I know a good home:D:rolleyes:

12. bbr

bbr
    from Missouri

i will have to agree that the trailer and car do tend to throw the little ranger around abit......40mph is not uncommon on these ozark hills...got a phone call from my friend with the lift and we had to go pick up a guys broke down chevy pickup with a ford saving the day towing it home. we finally got both the chevy truck and my car over to his house around 930 and got started. after unloading/loading we were done by about 11:30 and destroy anything so it was a good night.

Attached Files:

13. chopitdano

chopitdano

The front parallel leafs from a late 60's early 70's dodge d100 truck work perfectly for the rear of that car. Chassis engineering sells the leaf mounts. In fact that is what they are selling you when you buy their complete kit.

As for your build good luck. Also I have lots of thing for 41-8 fords so if ya need stuff let me know.

14. roadkiII

roadkiII
    from charlotte

we built a 46 coupe back in the late 60s. had the running gear from a 57 nash ambassador 327. ford straight axle with coil suspension in front. seems like it ended up being hauled away for scrap. wish i could have kept all the old lumps that went through my hands over the years.

15. bbr

bbr
    from Missouri

any of you guys tried to put a 4.6L in one of these?? i have the one availible out of the car i am getting my 5 speed from, with all of the wiring. i didnt know if it would be too wide or not.....

16. Plung

Plung
    from San Diego

Looking good so far, keep up the good work. As for the 4.6L question, I don't think you're going to get the answer on this board. Guys here use more traditional engines. Good luck.

17. bbr

bbr
    from Missouri

i had that idea about the 4.6l.lol i have a 302 for it but the 4.6 is availible to me cheap enough i wouldnt be able to rebuild the 302 for the same money. i am def, not a "mod motor" fan at all but i was thinking $$ to get me down the road faster.

18. banditomerc

banditomerc

I am like you...stuck on the older motor set.I put a 350 in my customized '47,price was the main factor .I am about ready to lay some paint on mine.are you going custom?

19. styleline

styleline
    from so-hol

good luck whit the build 46 coups are stunning cars when ready,i have a jag conversion from a xj6 in it drive,s great.

20. bbr

bbr
    from Missouri

no chop or anything drastic for it is planned. i just want a good driver that way i can enjoy it if i decide to either drive it daily to work, or hop in it and go on a long haul to a show. it wont be the slickest car by any means but it will be a driver. it will be more along the lines of a street rod.

21. bbr

bbr
    from Missouri

found my donor car today. i picked up a 91 mustang lx hatchback 302 h.p. with small cam, 5 speed, disc brake rear with 4:10's long tube headers and flow masters.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2011
  22. Bart78

Bart78

The 4.6 is prety wide, its wider than the 5.0. Saw a guy put one in a early bronco had to cut a bunch to get it in. He says its been a good motor but took more work than the 5.0 swaps he has done in others.

23. bbr

bbr
    from Missouri

few pics of a little progress....both front fenders,hood,grille,fender extentions, and hood latch have been chemically dipped N stripped. the rear quarter by the decklid was smashed in from something falling acrossed it over the years and i got it pretty well straightened out. still need to do finishing there. KOOLKEMP!!! i like how you did your rockers on your car...we need to talk....Pic of my mustang donor car i picked up for a whopping 400 bones. 5.0, 5speed, 4.10 geared disc brake rear end. pic of a few extra parts i picked up. i spot welded up the holes from the Super Deluxe trim around the windows...still have to pull the GOOD trim from the passenger side. I traded my 95 mustang for a truck to pull with so now i have a 95 F350 powerstroke 5 speed.

Attached Files:

24. bbr

bbr
    from Missouri

i have been slowly doing some work, i sold my sand drag atv which allowed me to purchase a new car trailer,buy my M2 front end and a previously installed but never left the garage CE rear suspension kit. here are some pics as i loaded it up to take it to get ready for the motor/tranny install this week. disc brake rear was too wide, just went with a standard drum brake rear out of a fox mustang.

Attached Files:

25. Johnny C.

Johnny C.

Look forward to seeing more of your build. I have a 46 Merc Coupe that I am about to start on.

26. n847

n847

nice work so far...Keep it up!

27. mikebrodsky

mikebrodsky

hey im mike need headlight bukets for my 47ford project let me where to go thanks

28. Nice job on that front end-
    Just remember-Rome wasn't built in a day and hotrods dont go together as fast in real life as they do on TV
    Project is looking great! Keep up the good work:)

29. chevy54man

chevy54man
    from NC

Man you're doing some great work, keep it up!