Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Roadster Project update!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sygreaser, Jul 15, 2011.

1. sygreaser

sygreaser
    from SO-CAL

just wanted to update anyone who was interested on my lil plymouth boattail roadster i was scratch building. i just finished kicking up the back of the frame and fab'd some body mounts for the back half. I also picked up some firestones! 670-15s up front, 890-15s in back. hopefully this weekend i will pick up a '90 dodge truck rearend from the junkyard, it has finned drums kinda like a buick it looks pretty sharp. got a free keg from one of my dads friends so im gonna try to use that for the fuel cell. i got a lead on a cheap model a motor with a trans. got a 40 ford axle that needs to be dropped and made some split wishbones, i just need to scrape together some spindles and front brakes. i have only started on this 4 weeks ago and almost have a roller! I only have 'bout $500 invested into it so far... not including tires. as soon as i get the front end together i will begin Z'in the front of the frame.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 5, 2012
  2. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Very nice job.. All it takes is a little vision.......

3. hozem396

hozem396
    from ohio

Dude, that is one of a kind for sure!

4. sygreaser

sygreaser
    from SO-CAL

thanks man.

just need a motor/trans and doors and ill be good to go!

5. kiwiandy

kiwiandy

Looks great, nice work. And you're still in school.... I mean skool!!!

6. COOL!

keep us updated.

7. fleetside66

fleetside66

I really like it. The body lines look like they're really going flow nicely. This is one time where then tractor grill won't be fighting the rest of the body. You might be starting a new fad with those drums. My only suggestion is to starting using caps in your sentences..it's traditional you know.

8. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Nice! Looks like you really thought this out. VERY impressive!

9. peav34

peav34
    from webb city

Looking good, keep up the good work.

10. Nice work!!!

Great to see some fresh ideas, and a get it done attitude!

Sent from my iPhone using TJJ!!!

11. Never know, your english teacher might be H.A.M.B. member! Pretty cool low-buck project.

12. sygreaser

sygreaser
    from SO-CAL

Now i just need some doors and ill have a complete body for under $500!!

13. kingpins

kingpins

very cool project! looks really good with the grill hood and sides on. what grill is that?

14. johnny bondo

johnny bondo
    from illinois

damn! that looks cool! it reminds me of a pedal car/soapbox derby car for some reason. has an airplane and train look to it also. cant wait to see how it turns out!

15. chop50chevy

chop50chevy
    from upstate ny

It is possible - I am a reading teacher (but, on the opposite coast)! Nice work on a unique roadster. Not many of my students really know what they think they know about old cars. Subscribed - I want to see how it turns out!

Andy (Chop50Chevy)

16. sygreaser

sygreaser
    from SO-CAL

the grill is off an oliver tractor, not sure what year..

17. OLLIN

OLLIN

damn, this is looking really good so far. Keep it up man!

18. toolman1967

toolman1967

Very cool, I used to build motorcycles the same way. Scratch built and with whatever parts I could scrounge up. The rear deck looks like a F1 hood 48-50 I think, who knew it would look as good going as coming:)

Very nice job, definitely subscribing.

19. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Finally a car that a tractor grill looks right on. The whole car is really looking like things will flow together pretty well.

20. I agree - I usually REALLY do not like the direction that builds featuring tractor grilles tend to go in, but this looks really right. In the front shots showing the full hood (which has a great fit by the way) and mocked up split windshield, the car really has a vintage pedal car look - keep it up, it's a great looking, low buck build!

Steve

21. Ghost of ElMirage

Ghost of ElMirage

Sweet job!! I love that thing

22. sygreaser

sygreaser
    from SO-CAL

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

well after loosing steam on my roadster i finally decided to get back on it! tonights mission was to fab up a working trunk lid with the ww2 military hinges i got from the swap meet... i was successful

23. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

to cooool keep up the good work

24. sygreaser

sygreaser
    from SO-CAL

SO.. I needed a one of kind steering wheel for my one of a kind roadster. Im going with a heavy WWII Aviation theme. So the obvious choise was to find a wheel that resembled a bomber's yoke or along those lines... I was staring at my wall in deep thought when my eyes ran across a spare 1957 Plymouth wheel i had bought a few years back. I immediately saw the potential.

[​IMG]

So I busted out the cut-off wheel and with in a few minutes my I had a rough idea what it would look like.

[​IMG]

After I correct the few imperfections its time to give it the final coat of gloss black.

25. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

WOW........REALLY UNSAFE DUDE, please don't actually drive with that on the road:eek:

26. neat project...

27. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

I really like what you are doing. But, exactly what part makes it a Plymouth? Gary

28. sygreaser

sygreaser
    from SO-CAL

@Frankie47- Ill be just fine on the road, it will only be a pain when i'm in parking lots. I've talked to other guys at shows with similar wheels and they didn't have any complaints aside from parking..

@gnichols- I'm only calling it a Plymouth because I have a complete set of 30s Plymouth hubcaps and some other little emblems that have the Plymouth script on them.

29. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

so, what are the pieces-parts that make up the body?

neat car so far. good job.

30. AntiBling

AntiBling