Register now to get rid of these ads!

Spence Murray's 1949 Chevrolet

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Jul 5, 2011.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

2. Asphalt Outlaw Hero

Asphalt Outlaw Hero
    from Dixie

1949 vehicles were kind of a break through in styling.Into 1948 they were still using a pre-war design pad. They also loaned themselves to customizing quite well.
    [​IMG]

3. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I see a widened front license plate gaurd on the back with what looks like another set of pipes coming through the bumper.??

nice looking car

4. Nice car. Probably one of Paola's finest. I read the story about this car years ago, when they bought a new shell for the car and built it, while hiding it from the wife so she wouldn't know it was being customized.

5. tinmann

tinmann

Way back, there was a feature in a mag of Link Paola doing some of the early work on the body shell. Very crude by today's standards..... most cuts were made with a torch, lead was slathered on to smooth out crude welded seams. However that doesn't really take away from what was a tasteful custom from back in the day.

6. jbsgarage

jbsgarage

I remember when I 1st saw Spence's Chevy I was so intrigued by the pipes that at 1st I didn't notice it was chopped. That car is one of my all-time favorites.

7. Curt Six

Curt Six

Agreed...I've always thought the chop on this car achieves what customs are supposed to...improving on the factory lines without destroying the proportions.

Cool article!

8. 296ardun

296ardun

Didn't Spencer Murray take a long road trip with this custom, sort of like Bob Hirohata? I think I remember photos of the car in some small town in Iowa with a crowd of high school kids surrounding the car...Wonder what ever happened to it.

9. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

Alot of his cars were really great. I love this 49. My friend Carl has his old 36 roadster that Rodders Journal did an article on a couple years back.

10. Kaptain Kustom

Kaptain Kustom
    from Finland

Exactly! The chop (along with the drop) makes it look like it was designed that way... It looks better than stock, not like a pancake! When I first saw a picture of this car I loved it immediately.

11. flamingokid

flamingokid

A timeless beauty...

12. Greezeball

Greezeball

I believe those are the tail lights.

13. Lucky444

Lucky444

I was curious about the paint colors on the first and final version of Spence's Chevy.

Does anyone have info on the kind of yellow and purple that was used on the first version? Just a guess from the black and white photo's, but it looks like a medium or light metallic purple on the roof and a solid yellow color on the body. I'm always surprised by some of the wild color choices made on some of the early fifties Customs. I always assumed they were usually subdued, but have seen some daring combos.

And, what was the color of his Chevy after he repainted it?

A friend of mine told me about a 36 Ford Custom that his father had seen in the late 40's-early 50's at a used car lot here in Honolulu. This car dealer would periodically bring in Hot Rods and Customs from the mainland. The color combination on that one was lavender exterior with a dark maroon interior! Not a color combo that comes to mind right away, but the more I think about it, the cooler it sounds.

Thanks to Sondre at Kustomrama and Rik Hoving for these pics...

Attached Files:

14. Lucky444

Lucky444

Bump it up...

Any ideas on the yellow and purple combo?

Attached Files: