Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Definitive Carson Top '36 Ford Roadster

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Michelley, Jun 18, 2011.

1. Michelley

Michelley

“Carson Style
    by Michelle M. Yiatras

Timechanic™

Like Clark Gable might have felt before the War started (joyfully married, with an Oscar) and after it ended (drinking with reckless abandon), when a fellow parked his stock roadster to enlist in the Good Fight, he returned with a heightened perspective. Although he may have made the ultimate sacrifices (a limb, a spouse, a brother or uncle), he didn’t sacrifice style. These designs were stirring deep inside and reverberated in many post-War customs that matriculated from the college of WW2. In those days, celebrities didn’t do quaint benefits for foreigners, they joined the ranks and risked it all for the flag and freedoms granted by the U.S.A. Upright men and women capable of responsible livelihood returned to shepherd the most prosperous and dignified era this noblest Country ever realized. And that is after the fratricidal War took the Western World’s best and brightest.
    Eddie Martinez is a funny old guy, and he was a funny young guy. When he was six and his Mama told him to put the scrap boot on the beans, he thought she meant in the pot instead of in the coal stove for fuel. So that night they had “frijoles a la zapata”. When you see him today in his mid-70’s shuffling like Tim Conway and sore arms wrapped in gauze like the Mummy, a lot of it is for dramatic effect. He wants you to feel a little sorry for him because he knows he’s a little annoying. Eddie (Darryl Starbird’s National Rod & Custom Car HoF) has been multi-awarded for his quick draw with the sewing machine. Eddie was always the go to when you wanted upholstery or a correct Carson style top. He furnished a myriad range including from his first ’40 Ford (Car Craft front page & Long Beach Best Upholstery) in the mid-50’s, Barris’ ’29 Ford Model A roadster “Emperor”, Ed Roth’s “Outlaw” & “Beatnik Bandit”, Larry Watson’s ’57 Cadillac Eldorado, Stone-Woods-Cook ’41 Willys Gasser, Dan Houck’s ’46 Ford convertible, to the Duncan Emmons Merc. So when the day arrived for Eddie to pass the torch over to custom and hot rod upholsterer, David Martinez (no relation), of Martinez Industries, there was definitely some fireworks. Eddie shuffled one way across David’s shop and out the door muttering, “I guess I’ll just go kill myself,” from the side of his mouth, and then shuffled back through with, “I forgot something.”
    Martinez Industries is located in Gardena, CA. David Martinez, supplanted from Indiana, is mid-30’s and yet has the sensibilities of a post-WW2 timer. Usually he’s at his bench or in the car’s trenches applying his reet pleats to the tune of Artie Shaw, Jack Benny, or Dragnet, echoing Philco radio shows, not Eminem. He’s clad in vintage coveralls and has an earnest eye and handshake. It’s no wonder that he and David Zivot would become fast friends.
    David Zivot acquired the stock 1936 Ford roadster from AHRF Pioneer, John Wolf of Sherman Oaks, CA. David & I visited John and Virginia several times at their original So-Cal home, surrounded by magnolia trees and hummingbirds, they’ve lived in since they first got married in 1950. They are vigorous and feisty in their late-70’s and regularly attend V8 Club treks. They still look as youthful as they did at the dry lakes when they began courting in 1948. John got the car from Ray Brown (another AHRF Pioneer). Together they built the ’46 Mercury V8 flathead displacing a 3 3/8” bore and 4” stroke, J & E forged pistons, Winfield SU-1A cam, block letter Edelbrock heads, Super-Dual intake, a pair of Chandler-Groves mixers, ’39 trans with Lincoln Zephyr gear set, terminating in a ’40 Ford rear end with 3:54 cogs.
    All of which Zivot freshened up mechanically and made reliable as a daily driver. Before any miles could be racked up, the car was invited to be part of the GNRS 2011 special display “Customs Then and Now”, as representative of an immediate pre-War/post-War California custom. Although the car was stock when David Zivot acquired it, the goal was always an authentic as possible, chopped, black lacquered, tear drop skirted, rolled and pleated, solid hood sided, Carson top padded, boulevard runner.
    Zivot always admired what was once known as a “California Top”, “Which has its genesis in the 1920’s, when middle to upper income owners wanted a smooth, unbroken, contour on their flashy roadsters and cabriolets. This look necessitated that the top be a non-folding, removable as a unit affair, that set the look of these so equipped cars apart from others on the street. The popularity of this style of top reached its apogee in the immediate pre-War period, interrupted by the Second World War, and continued to be popular into the early 50’s. Some of the more renown and accomplished makers of these tops were Hall, Gaylord, Switzer-Fraizer, and of course Carson-Hauser. After diligent research, Eddie Martinez was one of the only craftsmen left who could make the top accurately, with the proper materials and profile.”
    This may well probably be Eddie’s last Carson top, and elderly illnesses interfered with him finishing this top he initiated. So David Martinez, proprietor of the metal fabrication and custom upholstery shop, was enlisted. He was the driving force in completing this Carson style top in a reasonable time, and it wouldn’t have happened if not for his intervention and assistance. You’ll recognize his work on Bugs’ ’35 Ford coupe “Ruby Deluxe”, Ralph Whitworth’s ’16 Ford Model T bucket “Trojan”, Piero De Luca’s ’31 Ford Model A coupe “Live Wire”, Von Franco’s ’22 Ford Model T roadster “Lightening Bug”, and Kurt McCormick’s ’41 Cadillac convertible “Westergard Custom”, among others. The venerable Kennedy Brothers of Pomona, CA, did the preliminary suspension work to bring the car closer to earth, filled the deck and door handles, and chopped the windshield down to a manageable height. The black lacquer job was the finale work of Zivot and Alan Brunson.
    David Zivot is unrelenting, “The Rick Lefeldt ’36 Ford Roadster built in 1946 in Modesto, CA, was a strong influence on the ’41-46 War Years style I was after. As Don Montgomery referred to it in Authentic Hot Rods, ‘This was a very desirable car.’ To build a traditional style car and stay true to the tradition is a distinction difficult to obtain and not always accomplished. The distinction is between proper customization and over customization. There are sins and omissions that are allowable and can be overlooked. However, base coat/clear coat paint is a cardinal sin, and the particular color one chooses to paint their car ought to mirror the photographic evidence of the period. No amount of Hail Mary’s can absolve these. Yet, I didn’t nail it 100%. This car was built to a standard rather than an ideal.”
    Driving this car, or any type of vintage vehicle, in a modern town like Las Vegas (or Los Angeles), represents something that doesn’t exist anymore. It’s like trying to resuscitate the Rat Pack. “Especially one composed with American historical veracity,” Zivot is wistful, “The audience doesn’t get the references.”

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 16, 2014
    EVL401 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  2. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Beautiful car and the master Dave doing the stitching. Beautiful lady also.

3. resqd37Zep

resqd37Zep
    from Nor Cal

Great story and yes a beautiful car!

4. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

cool story,awesome car, beautiful lady

5. carbuilder

carbuilder

Its hard to beat a great looking 36 Roadster.

6. brady1929

brady1929

7. Hubba, hubba, hubba!

8. 296ardun

296ardun

Great story! and great photos also, glad to hear that the car has been so well cared for, looks like it is in very good hands!!

9. CHOP36

CHOP36

Great story and car is perfect. Do you still have the Nitti 32 that Pat Ganahl wrote about in Rodders Journal

10. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

perfect..... whats under the hood?

11. Rikster

Rikster

Great story Michelle... Good to read a bit more about the background how this wonderful car was created.

The car is amazing. I was able to check it out at the GNRS Customs Then & Now gathering. The Padded top... is WOW! a real pleasure to look at.

I love early 1940's styled customs, and this one is certainly one of the better once built in recent days.

12. DYNODANNY

DYNODANNY

13. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Just gorgeous!
    Can someone measure that windshield glass for me!

14. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

Simply stunning ride. A masterpiece

15. Dave Martinez

Dave Martinez
    from California

Rik,

It was great learning how to really make a real Carson padded top.. I've gotten two more inquires on more Carson tops.. especially after doing the ACME Speed Shops cabriolet top.. And as a suggested idea, John is going to be one of the first to have one of the new Carson top tags on his top, just as Carson had with his tops..

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 19, 2011
    kidcampbell71 likes this.
  16. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

I would love for you to do my Victoria Dave. 2" white pleats galore.

17. HotRodDaddy-O

HotRodDaddy-O

Wow. That '36 is awesome!

18. Dave Martinez

Dave Martinez
    from California

You got it Mark.. Let me know when she's ready..

19. Blackroad

Blackroad
    from Sydney

I love this car, this is why 36's are my favourite.

20. koolkemp

koolkemp

This car is perfect !! Thanks for the pics and story ! Sigh..... maybe someday I will have one.

21. froghawk

froghawk

Great story and that car is as perfect as it's possible for anything to be in this world! Not a line out of place on that top. Particularly wonderful are the subtle curves of the side window opening; look at those 3/4 views–just beautiful!

22. Great story and a fantastic custom. I love it.

23. Michelley

Michelley

GNRS 2011 “Customs: Then & Now”
    By Michelle M. Yiatras
    Timechanic™
    The 62nd annual Grand National Roadster Show (aka the Oakland Roadster Show), January 28-30 at the Fairplex in Pomona, CA, Building #9, featured 75 of the most significant historical custom cars in an exclusive indoor display, “Customs: Then & Now”, as the theme for this year. Rik Hoving was one of the organizers of this part of the event, contributing his tremendous graphic design and photojournalist skills to the array. Rounding up in attendance the likes of master builders George Barris, Jack Stewart, Dean Jeffries, Blackie G, Jesse Lopez, Hershel Conway, Gene Winfield, Greg Sharp, among others, including himself, to light up the room. The cars were dazzling jewels in the constellation of customs, the Frank Kurtis Tommmy Lee 37 Ford Speedster, Harry Westergard 32 Ford Roadster, Bob Hirohata 51 Merc, Kurt McCormick 41 Buick Roadmaster, Glenn Johnson 37 Ford Roadster, Mox Miller 58 Chevy Impala, Larry Watson 58 Ford T-Bird, Mark Morton 54 Merc, so many the room was sparkling.
    Organizing administrator, Axle Idzardi, invited David Zivot to display his 1936 Ford roadster with the custom Carson top to represent an accurate pre-War/post-War early custom of the WW2 influenced era. Besides diligently photographing all the exhibited cars for publication reviews and archives of the Show, Rik spent weeks in advance of the Show designing and constructing the brilliant and radiant graphic signage that graced the stages. The first thing one noticed was thetwo large banners that were in the front of Building # Nine. Those were huge photos, with the Show logo on them. He also created 24 ceiling hanging banners, 36” X 60”. All 24 were double-sided, specially selected by Rik to complement on one side an original Business Card, and on the other side one of the cars in the room. On Sunday afternoon the banners were auctioned as collectibles and the proceeds went to charity.
    These Show events don’t manifest with a magic wand. We’re always grateful and astonished at the magnum opus as a result of marvelous effort in this case by Axle Idzardi and Rik Hoving. We trust they keep their cars in the race.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 16, 2014
    kidcampbell71 likes this.
  24. couverkid

couverkid

The best looking 36 roadster I have seen built in recent years. Great car.

25. axle

axle
    from Drag City

David's roadster is beautiful and it was an asset to the 2011 GNRS "Then & Now" prestigious Custom display - as well as the 2011 VLV Custom display. Dave Martinez is a dear friend who i've known for about 12 years now. With all odds against him he came to California on a mission . Now he's one of the coasts top upholsterer's . Congrats to everyone involved. Axle

26. radio_king

radio_king

Absolutely beautiful.Thanks for posting and for the story behind it.

27. Dave Martinez

Dave Martinez
    from California

Thank you Alex for inviting David's car to both of these's great event's. And for being one of my close and dear friends..

And I'm just taking it one day at a time.. I'm very grateful to the people that have stood behind me through all my endeavors. And have told me not to give up.. Thank you..

28. Great story beautiful car.

29. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

Absolutely stunning from any angle. Beautiful craftsmanship on the entire car just the way I love them very subtle and elegant.

30. banditomerc

banditomerc

this is a excellent example of what a '36 Ford should look like.Every detail is right on.