Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects This is not a build thread...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by WM3, May 3, 2011.

1. WM3

WM3

...yet.

After lurking for a few years and only posting the occasional “nice build” or “btt” I decided it’s time to throw my hat in too. So last night I drug home this 1949 Ford F1. The kids thought it looked like Mater from Cars.

[​IMG]

So what’s the plan? Not much at the moment. I’ll probably take the summer slowly taking the whole thing apart, taking inventory, and finding what’s missing (which is most everything). I should probably get a big drum of vinegar to start the de-rusting.

[​IMG]

And what’s my experience and skill level? Nothing. I know the basics, but haven’t done much. My father was never the mechanical type and I never seemed to pay attention as a kid. Over the past decade I’ve fallen in love with these old cars, and the HAMB’s been a big part of that. I’m tired of being a spectator so I’ve decided to jump in feet first. Besides, the truck only cost me $100 so if I muck it up I won’t be out too much. In fact, I’ve invested more in books at this point than anything else (How to Restore Your Ford Pick-Up - Motorbooks Workshop and How to Build Ford Flathead V-8 Horsepower - Motorbooks Workshop) I also work 2 blocks from Honest Charley’s in Chattanooga, so getting some pros involved is definitely in the cards.

I’ve been following a lot of the threads on F1s:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=317676

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=545958

And Hotrod95’s the one who finally got me inspired to get off my ass and buy the truck I’ve been eying for the past 10 months:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=528261

So, with that introduction, what possibilities do you guys see with the truck? What ideas come to mind (besides OMG, look at that rust!). I’m probably going with flatbed due to the state of the rear.

I’m also looking for ideas on the engine. This is really where I need some schooling. I’ve thought a lot about what type of engine build I’d go with on an A or 32, but haven’t thought much about a truck engine build. I have no idea if the engine that came with it will run or not, but we’ll get it out of there and see what we have.

[​IMG]

Anyway, just throwing it out there to see how many directions you guys can point me. I’m just looking to learn and have fun.

Thanks

2. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

That's not rusty at all. I could show you rust.
    Just work your plan sounds like a good start.
    Enjoy it man.

3. Joey7319

Joey7319

Good score on the $100 f-1. Now the fun begins.:D

4. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

Not bad for that kind of money. From what I can see looks like the Windshield, Vent Windows, and Rear Window are okay...are they ? What about the "roll ups" ? Good glass all-around will save you a lot of time & money.

Good luck puttin' it together !

Jonnie King www.legends.thewwbc.net

5. WM3

WM3

Thanks guys.

The windshield has two small chips in it, but not too bad. The rear window is good and one vent window is good. The other vent is busted and there is no glass for the roll ups.

The dash appears to be in good shape. I need to clean alot of junk out of the cab and I'll have a closer look and snap some pics.

6. If at all possible, I would try to rebuild the flatty! Cool start ,rust what rust?

7. Pharouh

Pharouh

X2! Are the rear wheels locked up? I see skid marks.:D
    Clean it out and get rid of the old wasp nests and crawly things.
    Nice score.

8. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Looks like you got a pretty good deal. As for the drivetrain, the flatty is pretty cool. Lots of parts sources and it would be more cool than an sbc. I just picked up a '51 in March that has an sbc but I'd rather have a flathead or Y-block. As for your experience level, focus and motivation will help you there. Sounds like you're off to a pretty good start, just break the project down into sections and complete one at a time. Every part you fix, every bloody knuckle you get and every dollar that departs the wallet will add to the truck. I'm currently trying to get my '51 together enough to drive it and patience can be elusive for sure. In the end though its miles of smiles when you're cruising down the road in your project.

9. I started with a lower fender and went from there. I looked for better parts and upgraded as I could. Looks like a good starting point. Best of luck.

10. Well, congrats. I'd start with answering a few questions, that will dictate direction. You've shared your skill level, so that's known, but what styles do you like? What's your budget (you don't have to share with us, but should think about it), and what's your time frame? You sound like you want to dive in and do the work yourself, so that will save you a lot of money. But you also sound like this is new to you, so I'd think reliable on the drivetrain. As much as I love a flathead, I'd consider an overhead that you can buy parts from anywhere. I'm not much of a chevy guy, but it's hard to argue their merits. I'd probably go with a 302 myself.

11. old_dan

old_dan

That flattie is cool. I'm working on a 52 & didn't have that much to work with, so I went with a 351w. It's still a project, but here's a pic:

Attached Files:

12. WM3

WM3

Pharouh, the rear is locked, but haven't dug into it yet. Here in the East Tennessee Mountains there's any number of things that have called this truck home (I have done a quick snake check).

If she's still good I'll probably go with the flatty since I already have it.

Great suggestions Comet. I'm not in a rush to get anything done. With 4 kids I don't always have a lot of time. Budget wise I'm not going to do this on the cheap, but it's not going to be a show winner either. Somewhere in the middle (granted that's a pretty wide range depending on who you ask). The 302 makes sense, but I've got some time before I really dig into that. That gives me some time to read up and figure out what I can handle.

Thanks again everyone.

13. yea it only counts as rust of you can see what's on the other side of the metal. :D

Looks like a good starting place, may it will feel like a major undertaking but well worth it when you get done.

F-1s are a good learning tool. About everything on them is easy and straight forward.

14. You are way ahead for $100, just bag and tag, clean the parts up bag by bag, then reassemble... the pictures you take with your digital camera can help be your assembly manual.

Oh, best advice I ever got, get an assortment of bolts and nuts and washers, and a rack to put them in... Keep it stocked. Keep in mind that Henry used fine threads a lot.

Before you sell off or junk the flathead, try and get it running, those things are such low compression that they almost run on flat Pepsi

15. kwmpa

kwmpa
    Member Emeritus
    from Pa

Please don't ruin it by not putting a flathead back in..

16. dmikulec

dmikulec

Jumping in feet first, no experience. Sounds familiar. :D

Neat old Ford too, best of luck with her. I'll be watching. :cool:

(and yeah, keep the flattie)

17. ricktard

ricktard
    from spokane

looks like fun dude

18. We actually had a '49 Shop truck in the '60s that we put a 394 Olds and a hydro in. The olds was a common swap on those old trucks back then. A good fit and lots and lots of torque.

But to each his own. Flattys are cool too.

19. WM3

WM3

Don't get me wrong, I like the flatty, too. I just like to think about my options and consider all the possibilities (especially when I only have an inkling of a clue as to what I'm doing). :rolleyes: Besides, as I mentioned earlier, there are plenty of flathead supplies in stock 2 blocks away from my office:

http://viewer.zmags.com/publication/848bb33c#/848bb33c/1

As far as style, this F1 always stuck in my mind.

[​IMG]

I'm not doing a R@&rod, period restoration, trailer queen or some overly kitted build by some ricer. Just a clean build, fixing what needs to be fixed and tweaking what needs to be tweaked, and if I can add a little HP along the way all the better. Of course, I think that's most people here, which is why I'm here. :D

Alright, time to take some stuff apart....

20. Hotrod95

Hotrod95

That's what I used for insperation too!! I can't wait to see your progress! Glad I could be help
    :D

21. WM3

WM3

Well, I've got the truck in the garage now and starting to clean it up and seeing what I have. Getting a good idea of the direction I'll probably go with it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The problem with having so many pieces missing is not knowing what should be there.

In looking at the back of the frame it appears someone previously extended the fram about a foot and welded a bumper directly to it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Does anyone have some good pictures of the stock frame is supposed to look like? I fould a couple shots at http://systemv.us/clemmie/index.html, which had some good links and descriptions of brake comversions, etc. I'm also curious about different methods of how to attach a flat bed, though I'll dig into that later (and no, I haven't searched on flat beds yet, so don't yell at me too much).

22. _ogre

_ogre
    from Motown

those inverted u-bolts held on wood rails for a flat bed.
    you can make a nice wood flatbed for cheap if it suits your taste.
    i'd still shorten the frame to stock

check here for rearend widths http://www.chevytrucks.org/tech/ifs&rearend.htm
    scroll down for rearend section.

when i started my 58 chevy,
    someone suggested a factory assembly manual
    maybe they have similar book for your ford?
    i found it valuable for my truck build.

nice start
    better price

Last edited: May 16, 2011
  23. That green one is nice. I don't think it'd be nearly as nice as a flatbed.

Maybe it's me, but I see a future "Basket case for sale" ad whenever I hear someone is going to disassemble, bag, and tag a project. I don't intend for that to sound bad, it's just something to consider.

24. atch

atch

photobucket is blocked here at work, so i can't view your pix.

if the rear really is locked and you want to replace it a ford 8" from mustangs is about a perfect width. fairlanes/comets are probably the same. that'll change your lug bolt pattern to 4.5 on 5", though. clarence (see my avitar) has a '73 8" in it.

many hambers will criticize me for it, but i replaced the flatty in clarence with a 283 chevy in '91. best move i've ever made with it. i'll not get into all the reasons here; this is a topic that's been beaten to death repeatedly on this forum. however, i'd highly recommend finding a late model overdrive tranny and a v-8 that it can be connected to for use in your truck.

glass is all flat; simply make a pattern from cardboard and take it to your local glass shop. window channel felt is available from many sources.

door gaskets (rubber) is available, too.

one thing that is worn out on nearly all of those trucks (as well as most old cars) is the strike plate that the door latch grabs when shutting. they are available.

you probably want to snag a dennis carpenter catalog. maybe a bob drake and a couple of others, too. about all of the above items can be found there.

wheel cylinder and master cylinder rebuild kits are also available if you choose to stay with the stock stuff.

recomend you replace the fuel and brake lines entirely.

i probably didn't say anything you haven't already heard, but maybe not.