Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Custom 1940 Mercury- Westergard - Bertolucci - Ohanesian - Hegarty at Vintage Ford

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by oldmankohout, Apr 21, 2011.

1. oldmankohout

oldmankohout

Finally moved the two 1940 Mercs owned by Ed Hegarty into the showroom. One original and the other.... full custom. Seeing these cars side by side and the amount of work these legendary craftsmen did back in the day to create the custom version is amazing. When we get Dick Bertolucci over here we want to ask him if he recalls just how they recessed those headlamps. Word is they used no filler or lead...all metal work.

Sorry.....The top is removable, but it's not coming off any time soon.:)

Thanks to Butch Gardner for the 1975 Sacramento Autorama Program with this Merc on the cover.

1975 Entry NA-402 Nostalgia Division
    Dennis Nash and Louie Martin, Sacramento

"1940 Mercury 4-Door convertible sedan with a removable steel top. Grille from a 1946 Chevy as are the bumpers, taillights are a 1946 Ford. Has sunken license plate and frenched headlights in front.

This car was built in 1948 and has some outstanding body work by Dick Bertolucci who built the steel top and cut down the deck lid. The late Harry Westergard installed the grille and did the license job. The car has a 1941 Cadillac dash board. The engine is a flathed Merc with belond headers. Ron Lago did the interior while Dennis Nash did the painting. Howard Yamamoto did the striping. Chrome by Capitol Plating."

This was one of the 1975 Sacramento Autorama's feature nostalgic cars.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 21, 2011
  2. oldmankohout

oldmankohout

More photos:

Attached Files:

3. backyardbeliever

backyardbeliever

I love that car... I saw it coming up in my rear view on 80 east bound Ed passed me in my COE and we merged on to 37 and his pass side sombrero shot off into the bushes he kept going i pulled off and picked it up. its in great shape i have it hung up next to a big pic of the merc in my garage thanks for the wall hanger Ed. I love it

4. So cool to see them side by side for comparison. Amazing modifications on the custom. That top is crazy... wow!

5. Rikster

Rikster

Thanks for the great pics.... I would come to work early and leave late.... every day for as long as the car was in that shop... if I would work there.

One small correction.
    Dick Bertolucci did use a small amount of lead on the top.
    Where the top meets the rest of the body there is a home made metal structure on the inside of the top to make it stronger and ridged. So there was not way he could metal finish the body at the edges. So he used a small portion of lead there.

6. hotrodmemories

hotrodmemories
    from cali

Did Ed Hegarty go by the name 'Smokey'? Wild Ron was my dad. thanks.

7. I Recently had the honour of meeting Dick in his home shop last month with my family and spent a couple of hours talking kustoms and motobikes then later in the day went to Vintage Ford to take a look at the Ohanesian Merc. Great guy and a Beautiful car.

8. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

Beautiful ride but unusual at the same time.

9. Ron Lago

Ron Lago
    from Oregon

How great to see the car again..Thanks for the great article and pictures.
    Now retired in Oregon after helping another man learn the trade...you will soon hear of Jim
    Valenzuela...remember that name. He's one of the best I have ever seen
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/V34-Custom-Interiors/498301803598149
    A special thanks to Mack and to Kenny Foster for their teachings
    Regards and thanks again.
    A shout out to Al Lindstrom, Baggy, Blackie
    Ron Lago
    Oregon

Last edited: Feb 17, 2014