Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Mini Divco Vintage Go Kart Update

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by badshifter, Apr 3, 2011.

1. badshifter

badshifter

Got an original mini Divco body a year or so ago with no chassis. Last year I robbed an old dirt cart of it's wheels and built a frame and there it sat. Last week HAMB member Roadkillontheweb pm'd for a progress report so yesterday and this morning I got busy and built a drive, brakes, seats floor and mounted the body. The girls 2 and 6 are tearing up the track as we speak. Thanks to roadkillontheweb for his motivation, and his website http://www.jrcentral.com/ that I used for building mine.

Attached Files:

2. badshifter

badshifter

This is hot rodding, kid style.

Attached Files:

3. Moondog13

Moondog13

4. badshifter

badshifter

It's a 12 volt motor out of a power gate opener, into a jackshaft via belt, into a chain final drive. Has forward and reverse. I used a Toro snow blower axle that has a open diff that can be locked as well. Scrub brakes, and a mini rack and pinion someone gave me. With 12 volts its about fast walking speed, with 24 volts you can't catch it on foot. I have a few things left to fab, gas pedal (just a push button on the floor right now), bumpers and a dash. I'll tear it down and paint chassis and wood parts but the body will stay as found for now.

Attached Files:

5. roadkillontheweb

roadkillontheweb

Looking great! I like your framework. Glad I and my website could be an inspiration.

I tore a transmission out of a snow blower today to use for my drive train along with a lawnmower style briggs motor. It will have three forward speeds and reverse. and with a live axle under the seat and the motor and transmission sitting low on the frame everything should fit fine?

I decided on a set of new reproduction stainless steel Model A taillights that will give me running and brake lights and the headlights are just a PAR36 bulb so I found a set of trim rings from the local Harley Davidson dealership that they use on the passing lights will work just fine. They even have a frenched version for a little more custom look.

Attached Files:

6. roadkillontheweb

roadkillontheweb

I forgot to mention a good way to do speed control on electric motors like that is to use a PWM (Pulse Wave Modulation) motor controller and a slide potentiometer for the accelerator. Gives you variable speed control and they work great and not that expensive.

7. Pete

Pete

Them are some lucky kids!

8. roadkillontheweb

roadkillontheweb

And it is a great way to get them involved with dad and his hobby/addiction?

9. badshifter

badshifter

Hey roadkill, are those new bodies? Who has the mold? I'm worried that my girls will rough up an original. She ran it almost all day today and it still has battery left. Your gas powered rig will fly!

10. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

11. roadkillontheweb

roadkillontheweb

Yes brand new bodies from the original factory molds. A gentalman on Long Island owns them and makes them. Send me a PM and I will get you his contact info the big problem is shipping because of their size.

12. superchargedill

superchargedill

That's awesome. My buddy Perry out in SoCal has a real one. He's gonna love seeing yours.

Attached Files:

13. violet springs

violet springs

Wow that is Cool!

14. roadkillontheweb

roadkillontheweb

It took me a while but I found he is a user on this forum so you can PM him directly Mightym1dgets

here is a picture of one of mine as they were prepped for shipping by loading it on a pallet they can be easily transferred truck to truck since they have to ship truck freight. Most of my bodies that I produce ship via Greyhound but these are too large and more expensive to ship. I can give you the contact info on the shipping company I used if you are interested.

Attached Files:

15. badshifter

badshifter

Made a dash, added head and tail lights, a parking brake, gas pedal, horn, and most importantly, a seat belt!

Attached Files:

16. Hotrod1959

Hotrod1959

Lucky kids! Bring back memories when my Dad built us a push go cart. All out of wood! That thing was heavier than hell. We had a bunch of fun with it! Nice job.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2011
  17. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

Very,very cool!!!!

18. roadkillontheweb

roadkillontheweb

Looking great! and I bet the girls are still having a good time?
    I see you got the other headlight in and the tails are working, what are you using for taillights?

I did some measuring for my engine and transmission combo the other day trying to determine best placement. The nephew that is in most of my other videos driving the Mustang JR came over and took a look and climbed in (he is 6'4") and can't wait for me to finish it so he can drive it in parades

19. How much are the repro bodies? I wonder if I can convert my granddaughters pink Barbi Jeep to work with the Divco? I wonder how I would explain it to her if I did LOL.

20. kisam

kisam

Now that is cool! Wish I was a kid again!

21. jimmitchell70

jimmitchell70
    from CT

22. badshifter

badshifter

Thanks, yeah we are all having a great time with it. They are wearing out the horn button! That's the big hit. I'm going to take the roll bar out, as it's a head knocker and was for looks anyhow. The headlights are Sylvania 4415's and the tail lights are just cheapie trailer lights from the auto parts store. They went into the same screw holes as the originals. We washed it last night and the gray primer and red paint is fading away leaving more of the original dark green gel coat. It looks really good that color so I am think about a paint job.... The old patina or paint debate. Get yours going! See ya.

Oh and the Barbie Jeep, just an FYI, they run great on 18 volts. Motors get pretty hot on 30 volts and you'll be wearing out rear wheels, and at 36 volts you will be buying motors. First hand experience....

23. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

That's so cool! I need to build one for myself now!

24. Aw crap, thats killer kool

25. roadkillontheweb

roadkillontheweb

Yes, I need to get one of mine done but right now I am doing the finishing touches on an original gas powered 1966 Mustang JR and I also have a partially complete electric powered 1961 Thunderbird JR that I need to finish and sell.

Everyone that sees the Divco loves them and I have plenty of volunteers to drive them for me since I can not (6'6" 350+) I am continuing to gather the parts that will be needed to finish it.

26. That is just too cool!

27. coolbreeze1340

coolbreeze1340
    from Indiana

I love it! I have seen some real cool "mini" over the years but nothing like those Divcos. Wish I had the time and funds to do one but my girls are almost too old and I can barely keep the real rods on the road! LOL

28. I saw one of these being given away on Sandy Becker's NY morning children's show back in the early 60's. No one ever remembered it and I thought I saw it in a dream. Thirty years later I finally found one and traveled half way across the country to get it. Now years later I have yet to restore it. Thanks for putting a fire under my butt. Here is how I found it and as it sits...:eek:

Attached Files:

29. usedautomobiles

usedautomobiles
    from il

I'm in the process of restoring a mini divco, would appreciate any pictures or other information on the mini, I will inturn provide information or pictures of my divco.I'm tring to keep it as original as possible. thanks

30. roadkillontheweb

roadkillontheweb

Tradition around here is that you need to do an introduction first. At the top of the main page New to HAMB introduce yourself. http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18

After you are done with that go to my website and the Divco page. http://www.jrcentral.com/divco.html It has been mentioned here before but just in case you missed it. I have many more images and also own two brand new bodies from the original factory molds.