Register now to get rid of these ads!

Tech entry, how to build flush skirts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by finkd, Mar 16, 2011.

1. finkd

finkd
    Member Emeritus

Dennis wanted 56 chevy skirts on the 58 truk, but the contours weren't the same and i had this big hole to fill.... so I built new lower bedsides and skirts at the same time. I started by mocking up the skirt in the position that dennis wanted. getting measurements, and formin round rod to do the bottom shape, then english wheel the new panel (with my helper ,son lucas) then fit new panel in place for a test fit. then I used the shinker streatcher to form the lips to fit the skirt. tack weld these to the back of the new piece, tack weld whole panel in place and then cut out the new skirt. I added alignment pins while I was at it so everything will fit right. then I cut out relieve cuts and hammer formed the bottom lip and roll. then you can remove skirt, finish weld all the edges and there you have a nice way to do flush skirts in something that didnt have them.

Attached Files:

2. finkd

finkd
    Member Emeritus

after forming the new panel on the wheel. test fit again, then build the new lips on the shrinker streacher and fit to the back side of new panel, tack weld in place( they will be welded solid after cutting loose) be sure to get a nice gap.

Attached Files:

3. finkd

finkd
    Member Emeritus

between the two pieces, , build and alignment pin so everything fits back together once cut loose. now you can cut out bedside and fit in new piece, weld in place. and cut relieve cuts in bottom to help hammer in the roll you want on the bottom edge, then I used my air hacksaw and cut between the two flanges to remove the new skirt from the bedside.

Attached Files:

zuke likes this.
  4. finkd

finkd
    Member Emeritus

as I was sick the last 3 days i didnt get the edges welded so you will have to use your imagination on that part. but this should get you close to what I am talking about.

Attached Files:

5. finkd

finkd
    Member Emeritus

and the last pics

Attached Files:

6. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

I dig it. Thanks for the info!

7. finkd

finkd
    Member Emeritus

how do I move this to the tech week?

8. studeboy

studeboy

Looks like someone already did. Kool tech, but I wouldn't expect anything less from you:D