Welcome to the THE H.A.M.B. forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   THE H.A.M.B. > Archives > Tech Archive

Old 07-05-2006, 02:36 PM   #1
scootermcrad
Alliance Member

Default HEMI Tech- INDEX of Tech Articles

EDIT (by Flat Ernie) - Here is a live link to the active thread on the board:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=118764

Just to make things even MORE simple... here's an index of the articles and subjects we've been talking about so far. I will update the "Index" as new ones come in.

NEW! These topics as well as more discussions can be found here:
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/g...hp?groupid=273

HEMI Tech- General parts and info resources

HEMI Tech- Identification

HEMI Tech- What are these engines worth?

HEMI Tech- Gaskets

HEMI Tech- Block, head, porting/polishing, gaskets, mounting

HEMI Tech- Transmission adapters, flywheels, starters

HEMI Tech- Hemi Engine Mounts

HEMI Tech- Intakes and exhaust manifolds

HEMI Tech- Ignition

HEMI Tech- Blowers, Superchargers, fuel injection

HEMI Tech- Rockers, valves, pushrods, springs

HEMI Tech- PISTONS! rods and related

HEMI Tech: Water pump. Change? Rebuild? Run it?

HEMI Tech: Oil systems- filters, pumps, pans

HEMI Tech: Camshafts.. new? Regrind? solid or Hydraulic?

HEMI Tech- Crankshafts. Stock? Billet? Stroker?

HEMI Tech- Harmonic Balancers

HEMI Tech: Alternator? Generator? Acc. Brackets?

HEMI tech- Chevy H2O pump and pulleys?

HEMI Tech- fuel pumps and covers- timing, valley and valve/rocker

HEMI Tech- Examples and specs!

HEMI Tech: Vacuum, Breathing and crank case pressure

HEMI Tech: Machining

HEMI Tech- Daimler Hemis

HEMI Tech- POLY Tech - early poly motor info

HEMI Tech- Rebuilds

HEMI Tech: Machine Shop Reference by State

Please PM me if any of these links don't work or if you have some ideas for new topics. Still have some in mind and will post them and update this list as they happen. In the mean time, let's all help keep the subjects full of up to date useful information.

Hope these topics help everyone!

Scooter

My blog:
scootermcrad.blogspot.com

Last edited by Flat Ernie; 04-09-2011 at 02:41 PM.
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 07:53 PM   #2
BloodyKnuckles
Old School HAMBer

Default Re: HEMI Tech- INDEX

I'm not sure how many people have been benefitting from you threads but I must say that you rock!
I'm working on a Desoto 291 for my "A" and you have unearthed a treasure chest of knowledge and information for all to share.
Thank You!

BloodyKnuckles

Old 07-05-2006, 08:18 PM   #3
axeman39

With my unofficial count of 73 Hemi owners and 150ish Hemis here on the HAMB, I would say that the Hemi tech threads are more than worth the effort put fourth and very much appreciated. Thanks! Axeman39.
Old 07-06-2006, 07:06 AM   #4
scootermcrad
Alliance Member

Thanks guys!! I appreciate the nice words! I'm glad they're helping someone. I know they're certainly helping me!! I've been spending so much time just trying to get the subjects up that I've hardly had time to even read them! I'm excited to sit down and start taking notes myself. The HAMB rules and with the amount of Hemi knowledge on here the HEMI Tech threads should rule too!

Thanks for the help gathering info everyone! We still have a long way to go!

BTW... This isn't just for Chrysler FirePowers! We need info on Dodge, DeSoto, the poly motors, the small cube Hemis... EVERYTHING!

My blog:
Old 07-17-2006, 09:34 AM   #5
scootermcrad
Alliance Member

Just wanted to bump this up for you guys. I added a couple catagories for your viewing pleasure. It will take some time to get all these catagories filled out, but the topics are started. If anyone thinks of a topic that's NOT coverd here, let me know or start it with "HEMI Tech- xxxxxxxx" and I'll add it to the "Index". Just check to make sure it's not covered. Had some thoughts of some other ideas like Video rentals and things of that nature for resources. Have to figure out how to handle those yet. Not sure if that will be addressed in these or not.

We'll get there!

In the mean time, check out Harmonic Balancers and Identification and see if there is any factual information you can add!

Cheers!
Scooter

My blog:
Old 08-22-2006, 03:34 PM   #6
scootermcrad
Alliance Member

Just wanted to bump this up in case it hasn't been seen yet. Let me know if there is any way I can add or improve what's already been started.

Also... there are some subjects still virtually blank. If there is any info anyone can add to those sections, please do so. This seems to have been a great thing for anyone needing Hemi info thus far...

My blog:
Old 08-22-2006, 04:20 PM   #7
skunk victim

right on man. this almost makes me want a hemi...almost!
Old 10-12-2006, 07:25 AM   #8
scootermcrad
Alliance Member

Bumping the Index back up to the top since there has been a lot of Hemi talk lately. Still trying to keep these updated. If anyone sees information that can be linked to under these topics, please add it.

THANKS!
Scooter

My blog:
Old 10-12-2006, 12:25 PM   #9
ward3162
FNG

Hemi Tech is definitely needed. Just getting back into Hot Rodding after a forty year break . Building a 49 Stud P/U w341 Desoto Hemi. Can't get enough info about Desoto Hemis. Thanks for the work.
Old 10-12-2006, 12:35 PM   #10
scootermcrad
Alliance Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ward3162
Hemi Tech is definitely needed. Just getting back into Hot Rodding after a forty year break . Building a 49 Stud P/U w341 Desoto Hemi. Can't get enough info about Desoto Hemis. Thanks for the work.
We need more Desoto Hemi tech stuff! Anything you could add would be great sir!! [thumbs up]

My blog:
Old 11-15-2006, 10:56 AM   #11
scootermcrad
Alliance Member

Going to bump this up so you guys can take a look at the topics and see if there's anything we can add. We have very little in several catagories. Amazingly the HEMI Tech- Examples and specs!
has very little in it. Hopefully those of you with Hemis completed or in the works can kick us down some pictures with specs. Maybe even links to your build or something.

Thanks guys!

Scooter

My blog:
Old 02-15-2007, 08:10 AM   #12
scootermcrad
Alliance Member

Going to bump the Index back up to the top. I updated the intake/exhaust thread with a link to some Offy 6x2 stuff. Maybe some of you will have some fresh new thoughts and info to add somewhere to some of the other topics involving Hemis.

Keep the info coming! Some of these topics are looking pretty bare and need more discussion.

Cheers!
Scooter

My blog:
Old 04-04-2007, 01:48 PM   #13
AHotRod
Alliance Member

Great info and reading Scooter.
Old 04-04-2007, 10:01 PM   #14
strombergs97

Default Re: HEMI Tech- INDEX HELP

Hello..OK..I have a 241 Red Ram and and have HH Flex plate.. The flage on the crank does not have any threads..Wondering if the bolts are special..ie..shoulder diameter..Can I use any 8 point bolt..I believe 7/16"..right or wrong..
I couldn't believe it when I first got ready to put the flex plate on..OH..SHIT..
Duane..
Old 04-04-2007, 10:09 PM   #15
Kerry
Alliance Member

Thread the flange for 1/2-20 and use bolts instead of the oem bolt/nut setup.
Old 04-04-2007, 10:18 PM   #16
4tford

Quote:
Originally Posted by strombergs97 View Post
Hello..OK..I have a 241 Red Ram and and have HH Flex plate.. The flage on the crank does not have any threads..Wondering if the bolts are special..ie..shoulder diameter..Can I use any 8 point bolt..I believe 7/16"..right or wrong..
I couldn't believe it when I first got ready to put the flex plate on..OH..SHIT..
Duane..
Check with HH they have the fex plate bolts which are 7/16 with nuts or the 1/2-20 for tapped cranks. You can tap your crank to use the 1/2-20 the holes are the right size to run the 1/2-20 tap through. Just make sure they are tapped straight.
Old 04-04-2007, 11:58 PM   #17
scootermcrad
Alliance Member

Hey guys, drop these questions and answers about flexplates here:
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...ight=hemi+tech
These are good questions and good answers, but won't help too many people here. Better posted here. THANKS!

My blog:
Old 09-19-2007, 09:44 AM   #18
scootermcrad
Alliance Member

Well... we haven't talked about Hemis enough lately... so let's see bump this Index back up so you guys can add to some of these threads where possible.

Been thinking about adding a reference for machine shops in everyone's area going state by state. Please let me know what you guys think about it. Last time I brought it up it got a good response, but it was brought up very unofficially. So shoot me a PM if you think it's something worthwhile or bump this back up.

Also, I still haven't done much with feature builds for this section and I've been seeing some very nice progress on a few builds. I may need a kick in the rear or a reminder of who's building what so I can get some featured Hemi builds up for everyone's reference and reading pleasure!

Thanks everyone!
Scooter

My blog:
Old 09-19-2007, 10:59 AM   #19
4tford

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootermcrad View Post
Well... we haven't talked about Hemis enough lately... so let's see bump this Index back up so you guys can add to some of these threads where possible.

Been thinking about adding a reference for machine shops in everyone's area going state by state. Please let me know what you guys think about it. Last time I brought it up it got a good response, but it was brought up very unofficially. So shoot me a PM if you think it's something worthwhile or bump this back up.

Also, I still haven't done much with feature builds for this section and I've been seeing some very nice progress on a few builds. I may need a kick in the rear or a reminder of who's building what so I can get some featured Hemi builds up for everyone's reference and reading pleasure!

Thanks everyone!
Scooter
I was doing a search back in 2004 on hotheads swap meet forum for shops in my area SE Michigan and got a few hits which are Thomson Automotive in Redford, Mi (313-538-0044) and also Dowker engines in Charlotte, Mi (517-543-0249) and one finale one is Angelucci Performance Macomb, Mi (586-412-8442) I personally have not done business with any of them just wanted a source if I did need one down the road.
Old 09-19-2007, 11:37 AM   #20
scootermcrad
Alliance Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4tford View Post
I was doing a search back in 2004 on hotheads swap meet forum for shops in my area SE Michigan and got a few hits which are Thomson Automotive in Redford, Mi (313-538-0044) and also Dowker engines in Charlotte, Mi (517-543-0249) and one finale one is Angelucci Performance Macomb, Mi (586-412-8442) I personally have not done business with any of them just wanted a source if I did need one down the road.
Thanks man! It looks like I better start a thread on this so there is a set place to post this info. I'll do it state by state in a few. The thread will probably get VERY big. Let me think about the best way to handle all the info that will be posted. Maybe I'll do it by alphabetic sections or something. It will take a lot of effort to get it filled out and will take everyone's support here. I will get started on it though.

Thanks!

My blog:
Old 09-21-2007, 04:04 AM   #21
Texas Bob
FNG

Right on man! Thank's for all the info! Just picked up a 53 Chrysler 331 here in town. See ya at the RRR?
Old 09-21-2007, 09:36 AM   #22
scootermcrad
Alliance Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Bob View Post
Right on man! Thank's for all the info! Just picked up a 53 Chrysler 331 here in town. See ya at the RRR?
HEY BOB!!! Welcome to Hemis!!

Yeah, hopefully I'll make it out to the RRR. Would be good to catch up!

Oh... there are quite a few good places for Hemi machining in you area. Just can't remember the names. When you find out, PM me the details so I can post them in the Nevada section of the resource list.

Cheers!

My blog:
Old 11-12-2007, 01:49 PM   #23
edgeabilly

Great info

I just got a 53 331 Hemi. This is just what I needed...
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 01-06-2008, 07:48 PM   #24
scootermcrad
Alliance Member

Okay, it's 2008 and 2007 was a good year getting all this together. WE NEED MORE INFO! Desoto Hemis and Dodge Hemis are hardly discussed and I know there are plenty of people out there that have them that can add info to the catagories. Let's keep it going. We're all here as students so anyone that can teach, please stand up so we can learn more about Hemis!

Please, if you have experience and knowledge with any breed of early Hemi, take a little bit and read through the various catagories and add what you know.

Hoping to see more examples and build ups this year. There's a 331 in the works right now that I'm hoping to do a build-up thread on, or at least a build-up series on. Bored&Stroked dropped all our jaws with a build up and hopefully we'll get to see that wrapped up and maybe we can even see some video action from him on the build! (hint, hint!)

BTTT for 2008! Thank everyone for your participation and help keeping the catagories going!

My blog:
Old 02-18-2008, 09:44 AM   #25
scootermcrad
Alliance Member

Okay boys and girls... bumpin' this up again.

Anyone building a hemi this year? Post it up in the examples or post up a build sequence and shoot me the link and I'll make sure it gets added in the right places.

Word has it that I just might be able to get a build progress on two 331's at the same time. Hopefully that will work out. I'll keep you guys posted.

BTTT

My blog:
Old 02-18-2008, 10:03 AM   #26
Ichoptop

Mine is in the machine shop as we speak, getting the block and heads prepped. I dropped the new valves off friday so it should be done late this week or early next. Everything is built and/or bought for the rebuild and sitting in my office. Then my build up will start. It will be a moderate street motor, not to outlandish since it goes in a 2000lb bucket.
Old 02-18-2008, 10:05 AM   #27
scootermcrad
Alliance Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichoptop View Post
Mine is in the machine shop as we speak, getting the block and heads prepped. I dropped the new valves off friday so it should be done late this week or early next. Everything is built and/or bought for the rebuild and sitting in my office. Then my build up will start. It will be a moderate street motor, not to outlandish since it goes in a 2000lb bucket.
If you have the time, PLEASE do a pic progress on the build! I'm more than positive that others (as well as myself) will benefit from it!

Can't wait to see!

My blog:
Old 02-18-2008, 01:56 PM   #28
Ichoptop

this is my first hemi rebuild so I will be figuring out some stuff as I go. I have my best friend helping me do it who has played with a few hemis so I am sure we can get it figured out. I'll take some pix and write down as much as I can. By the way...it is a 1955 331 using a 354 cam.
Old 02-18-2008, 01:58 PM   #29
scootermcrad
Alliance Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichoptop View Post
this is my first hemi rebuild so I will be figuring out some stuff as I go. I have my best friend helping me do it who has played with a few hemis so I am sure we can get it figured out. I'll take some pix and write down as much as I can. By the way...it is a 1955 331 using a 354 cam.
Sounds great! Do it!

My blog:
Old 02-18-2008, 05:45 PM   #30
imperial

This I found on thehemi.com
Did anyone here did this swap?

Kenneth has discovered that by honing the lifter bores (assuming one needs or wants to) approximately 0.017 inches you can now use 1986 Oldsmobile roller lifters. Although this will require the alignment bars to be fabricated, or finding something that will fit. Kenneth is a machinist by trade, so was able to fabricate his own, and is also fabricating his own spring-style retaining device(s). These rollder lifters are considerably cheaper (approx $9 each) as compared to name brand aftermarket parts.
Old 03-18-2008, 03:50 PM   #31
scootermcrad
Alliance Member

Sorry guys! I'm way behind on keeping up on some of this stuff. Got a little busy around here. Keep PMing me info and suggestions and I'll try to figure out where it needs to be. There is seriously some amazing information here and let's keep it growing!

Thanks guys!
Scooter

My blog:
Old 08-31-2008, 10:14 PM   #32
ThomasC
FNG

Thanks for all the great info!!!
Old 09-01-2008, 11:59 AM   #33
spoons

Thanks for all the great Info. It has been really helpful with my Desoto Rebuild.....

Spoons
Old 09-09-2008, 09:17 AM   #34
scootermcrad
Alliance Member

Hey guys! It's been awhile since I've bumped this up. I've been crazy busy and I'm honestly very behind on keeping this up to date. There's been a lot of builds worthy of mentioning as well as some great stuff coming up on the board that should be linked in the related topics.

BTTT... If anyone has anything to add to the topics, send me a PM if it needs to be added or link it up under the correct topic. Seems like early Hemis are getting more popular every day! We still have a TON to add here that has NOT been covered.

Still looking for people's build progress posts as well as people doing progressive build TECH on their Hemis.

Now get back to work on your Hemis!

Thanks for looking and participating!

Cheers!
Scooter

My blog:
Old 11-21-2008, 10:13 AM   #35
scootermcrad
Alliance Member

Okay guys, I've been going through some of the threads on here and I see that I REALLY REALLY need to add a few catagories to the Index including a specific catagory for Industrial and Marine applications. Tons of inquiries on that lately.

Awhile back the boss made a change that eliminated the "EDIT" button and it was never restored. When it's back I will go through all these threads and get things up to speed. I'm overdue and I appologize for that. There has been a ton of new threads that should be linked up in here that are very valuable to the content of this little HAMB school for Hemis.

Since I'm bumping this up, can you guys please add here, any catagories you might like to see covered that haven't been touched on? Also, any suggestions on things that should change?

Thanks for your help guys/gals!

Scooter

My blog:
Old 12-15-2008, 05:39 PM   #36
scootermcrad
Alliance Member

Quote:
Okay guys, I've been going through some of the threads on here and I see that I REALLY REALLY need to add a few catagories to the Index including a specific catagory for Industrial and Marine applications. Tons of inquiries on that lately.

Awhile back the boss made a change that eliminated the "EDIT" button and it was never restored. When it's back I will go through all these threads and get things up to speed. I'm overdue and I appologize for that. There has been a ton of new threads that should be linked up in here that are very valuable to the content of this little HAMB school for Hemis.

Since I'm bumping this up, can you guys please add here, any catagories you might like to see covered that haven't been touched on? Also, any suggestions on things that should change?

Thanks for your help guys/gals!

Scooter
Still getting the PM's with the ideas and input to the above ^^^^. Please post them here so everyone can see them.

One of them discussed awhile back was with Limey Steve and his Daimler Hemi stuff. Here's an example thread to get you guys thinking...

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=151281

Thanks! BTTT

My blog:
Old 12-17-2008, 05:18 PM   #37
spoons

Quote:
Okay, it's 2008 and 2007 was a good year getting all this together. WE NEED MORE INFO! Desoto Hemis and Dodge Hemis are hardly discussed and I know there are plenty of people out there that have them that can add info to the catagories. Let's keep it going. We're all here as students so anyone that can teach, please stand up so we can learn more about Hemis!

Please, if you have experience and knowledge with any breed of early Hemi, take a little bit and read through the various catagories and add what you know.

Hoping to see more examples and build ups this year. There's a 331 in the works right now that I'm hoping to do a build-up thread on, or at least a build-up series on. Bored&Stroked dropped all our jaws with a build up and hopefully we'll get to see that wrapped up and maybe we can even see some video action from him on the build! (hint, hint!)

BTTT for 2008! Thank everyone for your participation and help keeping the catagories going!

I'll have a few pics of mine coming up here in a few days...
Long block is assembled and and have the intake and mag mocked up...
FYI.......060 over 291 Desoto........
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IM003350.jpg
Views:	333
Size:	137.8 KB
ID:	1158712   Click image for larger version

Name:	IM003351.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	138.5 KB
ID:	1158713  
Old 12-17-2008, 10:23 PM   #38
scootermcrad
Alliance Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoons View Post
I'll have a few pics of mine coming up here in a few days...
Long block is assembled and and have the intake and mag mocked up...
FYI.......060 over 291 Desoto........
Cool man! Post them in this thread:
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...ight=HEMI+Tech

Thanks!

So, you guys don't have any more input for what you would like to see??

My blog:
Old 12-17-2008, 11:59 PM   #39
392HEMI4SPEED

Perfect! I did not know this existed. Bookmarked!
Old 01-25-2009, 05:51 PM   #40
Hot Rod Michelle

Some really good info here. Thanks for organizing it in this manner. Bravo.
Old 01-25-2009, 06:09 PM   #41
Little Rat
FNG

Thanks for the info, I have a Desoto 330 that will need this info.
Bob
Old 01-25-2009, 09:01 PM   #42
Flat Ernie
Tech Editor

When you get this "done", let me know and we can copy it to the Tech archives...

T5 Tech
Old 01-26-2009, 07:55 PM   #43
billshari
Alliance Member

This is good stuff. Thanks for the info. Maybe now I can get my 354 to stop blowing oil out of the right side.

Bill
Old 01-27-2009, 08:50 AM   #44
scootermcrad
Alliance Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billshari View Post
This is good stuff. Thanks for the info. Maybe now I can get my 354 to stop blowing oil out of the right side.

Bill
That does not sound good...

Hope it helps! If not, just post up a thread and we'll help you out.

Glad to see more people are using this lately. Seems like there have been a TON of Hemis for sale and tons of threads with questions related to them.

We STILL need more DeSoto and Dodge tech folks! Add knowledge to the topics where you can! Keep it coming!

My blog:
Old 01-30-2009, 04:47 PM   #45
GonzoSS
Grenade Inspector

Damn good reads on here!
Thanks for making this thread possible.
Old 01-30-2009, 04:58 PM   #46
Cabbage
Alliance Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodyKnuckles View Post
I'm not sure how many people have been benefitting from you threads but I must say that you rock!
I'm working on a Desoto 291 for my "A" and you have unearthed a treasure chest of knowledge and information for all to share.
Thank You!

BloodyKnuckles
you DAMN SKIPPY! thanks fer the info, what he said! hows it hanging Ron?
Old 03-13-2009, 06:22 PM   #47
scootermcrad
Alliance Member

I still haven't been able to edit this thread, so I'm just going to add this link to the end for the time being. Some really great images/renderings of early Chrysler brochures. Thanks Cross Rodder! Once I can edit this, I'll add a catagory to support this information and clean up this thread.

Enjoy!

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=342602

My blog:
Old 03-23-2009, 11:08 AM   #48
scootermcrad
Alliance Member

Another subject that needs to be added (but I STILL CAN'T) is engine mounts. Here's an on-going thread for biscuit mounts and early Hemis...

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=326072

My blog:
Old 03-25-2009, 04:22 PM   #49
scootermcrad
Alliance Member

Okay guys! I have some editing rights back, but I've been informed the rights might go away in the future depending on changes that may come to the HAMB. To be safe I've added a "Social Group" just to capture and make it easier for me to edit and moderate the content. That means no drama, only facts and discussions!

Be patient with me while I get caught up one everyone's input from that past few months. It's going to take me a little bit, but I want this to really expand and grow with the HAMB.

Check it out!

My blog:
Old 04-22-2009, 04:55 PM   #50
scootermcrad
Alliance Member

Big thanks to RYAN for fixing me up with an "EDIT" button on this Index so I can add links!

I have added links for:

1) Hemi Engine Mounts
2) Daimler Hemis

Please add to the catagories and help us out!!

If you have anymore suggestions, post them here! I have few more to add, just doing getting back into the grove!

Thanks again for all your support!!

My blog:
Old 05-11-2009, 07:25 PM   #51
Shift_Taste

We need desoto blower manifolds!!!!!! O-E-O...O-O
Old 05-12-2009, 09:36 AM   #52
scootermcrad
Alliance Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shift_Taste View Post
We need desoto blower manifolds!!!!!! O-E-O...O-O
I agree! Bump up the intake and/or blower thread and get people movin!

NOTE! I added some new topics to the INDEX. Check them out! Hope they help!

My blog:
Old 05-12-2009, 04:04 PM   #53
Shift_Taste

Thanks for putting all of the work into this. P.S. We need marine crank conversion kits!!!!!!! NOW!!!!!!!!!!! I think a butthair thick notched sleeve with some jb weld would do it.
Old 05-12-2009, 04:15 PM   #54
scootermcrad
Alliance Member

Quote:
Thanks for putting all of the work into this. P.S. We need marine crank conversion kits!!!!!!! NOW!!!!!!!!!!! I think a butthair thick notched sleeve with some jb weld would do it.
Just throw a standard passenger crank in and you're alllll set!

My blog:
Old 05-13-2009, 03:37 PM   #55
Shift_Taste

Yea, I know but I have sweet marine cranks collecting dust.
Old 05-13-2009, 03:43 PM   #56
scootermcrad
Alliance Member

Quote:
Yea, I know but I have sweet marine cranks collecting dust.
Bump up the topic on Crankshafts or start a new thread regarding the topic and someone should have a solution for you. Sounds like a great topic. If you start a thread I'll link it to the crankshaft section.

Thanks and good luck!

My blog:
Old 05-13-2009, 07:21 PM   #57
73RR
Old School HAMBer

There are considerable differences between the pass car and marine cranks at the snout. The marine piece could be welded up and machined to look like the pass car part but it may be cheaper to just replace it. I'll try to post a pic later unless someone has a marine crank sitting out and can do it sooner.
...and don't forget to plug the oil feed coming out the front end....

http://www.discoverthenetworks.org/Articles/Hansen.pdf
Old 05-14-2009, 09:58 PM   #58
Shift_Taste

I started a marine crank thread, you can punch me in the face if I know how to link it though. It's called Hemi Marine Crank Ho Down.
Old 06-02-2009, 09:49 PM   #59
scootermcrad
Alliance Member

I added a new, more focused topic on just gaskets. This might help clear up a few differences in heads gaskets, intake, etc..

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=367538

My blog:
Old 06-03-2009, 08:00 AM   #60
345 DeSoto

I am, as we speak, putting together a blower intake for a DeSoto Hemi. I'm starting with a generic, cast, aluminum blower intake top half from Dyers. I was originally going to mate it to my Stock 291 4bl intake using a 3/4" thick base plate with the top half, but I have since traded the cast iron 4bl intake for an aluminum 2X2 intake. The 2x2 intake is aluminum (BIG weight savings), will give better distribution, and will provide a better bearing surface to mount the base plate too. If anyone is interested, I will take pictures as I do it...
Old 06-03-2009, 08:30 AM   #61
scootermcrad
Alliance Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 345 DeSoto View Post
I am, as we speak, putting together a blower intake for a DeSoto Hemi. I'm starting with a generic, cast, aluminum blower intake top half from Dyers. I was originally going to mate it to my Stock 291 4bl intake using a 3/4" thick base plate with the top half, but I have since traded the cast iron 4bl intake for an aluminum 2X2 intake. The 2x2 intake is aluminum (BIG weight savings), will give better distribution, and will provide a better bearing surface to mount the base plate too. If anyone is interested, I will take pictures as I do it...
OF COURSE we're interested! Get a thread going for it and drop a link under the blower section of the Index. That will be good information.

My blog:
Old 06-03-2009, 10:24 AM   #62
Dice
Grenade Inspector

Here's a couple of trivia facts I leaned on my 392 while doing a cam swap.

1. If you remove the rocker shaft bolts to remove the pushrods, there's nothing holding the heads on the engine.

2. Hemi heads make a loud noise when they hit the floor.

Ask me how I know.
Old 06-03-2009, 10:42 AM   #63
scootermcrad
Alliance Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dice View Post
Here's a couple of trivia facts I leaned on my 392 while doing a cam swap.

1. If you remove the rocker shaft bolts to remove the pushrods, there's nothing holding the heads on the engine.

2. Hemi heads make a loud noise when they hit the floor.

Ask me how I know.
Did you not have the alignment dowl pins in place??????

OUCH!

My blog:
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 06-03-2009, 01:25 PM   #64
Dice
Grenade Inspector

Quote:
Did you not have the alignment dowl pins in place??????

OUCH!
It was on an engine stand and was rotated a few degrees. The head on the "high" side stayed on the dowel pins just fine. But the head on the side that was rotated kinda downward seemed to be quite happy jumping onto the floor.

Seems like something as awesome as a hemi would have more than just 4 bolts per cylinder holding the heads on. Heck a sbc has almost double the number of bolts holding it on. 10 bolts for hemi vs 17 bolts for Chevy.

Oh well, no harm done and I learned something new.
Old 06-03-2009, 04:26 PM   #65
scootermcrad
Alliance Member

Quote:
It was on an engine stand and was rotated a few degrees. The head on the "high" side stayed on the dowel pins just fine. But the head on the side that was rotated kinda downward seemed to be quite happy jumping onto the floor.

Seems like something as awesome as a hemi would have more than just 4 bolts per cylinder holding the heads on. Heck a sbc has almost double the number of bolts holding it on. 10 bolts for hemi vs 17 bolts for Chevy.

Oh well, no harm done and I learned something new.
This is part of the reason I switched to head studs.

My blog:
Old 06-03-2009, 04:27 PM   #66
czuch
Alliance Member

Dice; Hows yur cement?
I wish I had access to this info when I had my 46 Military Dodge wc-26 that we put a 270 in. It was a red ram and the license plate said SMI ATO.
Old 06-03-2009, 05:23 PM   #67
73RR
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
...and we can still make a couple of thousand horse power with 10 bolts....

Old 08-21-2009, 10:00 AM   #68
Kan Kustom

Default Re: HEMI Tech- INDEX of Tech Articles

Quote:
Just to make things even MORE simple... here's an index of the articles and subjects we've been talking about so far. I will update the "Index" as new ones come in.

HEMI Tech- Gaskets

HEMI Tech- Block, head, porting/polishing, and gaskets

HEMI Tech- Ignition

HEMI Tech- Daimler Hemis

HEMI Tech- Rebuilds

Please PM me if any of these links don't work or if you have some ideas for new topics. Still have some in mind and will post them and update this list as they happen. In the mean time, let's all help keep the subjects full of up to date useful information.

Scooter
Book Mark
Old 08-30-2009, 10:36 PM   #69
Richard D
Old School HAMBer

Here is some info on early Hemis, mostly for racing, but good info none the less.
http://www.thehemi.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2851
I don't know if it has been posted yet or not, I am about to read this thread.
Old 10-16-2009, 10:27 AM   #70
dlbraly
FNG

I have not rebuilt one yet.

What about a thread on specialty tools for Hemis. or suggested tools.
Old 10-16-2009, 11:22 AM   #71
73RR
Old School HAMBer

Very little in the way of 'special' tools are required. That said, if you use adjustable pushrods, you will find it extremely handy to have a couple of purpose bent end wrenches to get into the restricted space.

Old 10-16-2009, 12:01 PM   #72
scootermcrad
Alliance Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlbraly View Post
I have not rebuilt one yet.

What about a thread on specialty tools for Hemis. or suggested tools.
As 73RR mentioned, not a lot needed. Any special or helpful tools I would just put under their specific area of use. For example, if the tool was used for tightening pushrods (which apparently there are some tools that make this easier, sold by Hot Heads) would be put under the related section for pushrods, and other valvetrain components.

Good thinking though! Thankfully nothing special required. If you (or anyone else) DOES find something specific or helpful, please drop it into the related topic of where it would be used!

Glad people are throwing ideas out there for topics! I appreciate it! All feedback is appreciate and hopefully you guys keep it coming. Thanks!

My blog:
Old 11-23-2009, 03:47 PM   #73
jsrail
Grenade Inspector

A quick thanks to scooter for setting up these tech threads! Having just acquired most of a '55 C300 331 Hemi, I'm gathering all kinds of info which is great since I've never own a Hemi before. Now I'm just gathering parts as I can afford them. thanks to robert1 for the oil pump and filter!

Keep these threads going!

Jay in AZ
Old 12-12-2009, 12:21 PM   #74
trakrodstr

Default Hemi spark plug insulator dimensions

Can anyone tell me the length/height of a spark plug insulator for the 426 Hemi?

I am running a 325 KD-500 Dodge in my track roadster and in order to run modern thickness ignition wires the builder fabricated spacers to create more room under the covers. Thus, a longer or taller spark plug insulator might work well if it's not too long.

Thanks,
trakrodstr

See more at my project thread:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...ster&showall=1
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1264.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	209.2 KB
ID:	1158714  
Old 12-12-2009, 01:48 PM   #75
345 DeSoto

I THINK the Hot Heads Site has the measurements for the spark plug tubes...
Old 12-12-2009, 02:29 PM   #76
trakrodstr

Quote:
Originally Posted by 345 DeSoto View Post
I THINK the Hot Heads Site has the measurements for the spark plug tubes...
Thanks 345 DeSoto,

I was asking about the insulator/connector that fits over the spark plug and attaches to the ignition wire.

By the way I have two DeSoto Hemis. One is a 330 drag race engine that was assembled in the 70s and never started. It has zoomies, Hilborns, some really high compression Venolia "pop-up" pistons and who knows what cam. The other is a DeSoto Industrial Hemi, 276, that was used as a water pump engine on a forestry fire truck. I also have a NOS billet steel Moldex crank that was ordered for a racing hydroplane but never used.

I dream of an extreme hi rev small DeSoto Hemi with the crank completely tricked out....maybe someday.

cheers,

trakrodster
aka charlie
Old 08-13-2010, 07:34 PM   #77
354HEMI
FNG

Thought this should be back on top. dare to be different, it will make even a turd look good.
Old 08-14-2010, 03:34 AM   #78
mrstude
FNG

Default Interchangability

Are there any parts from Desoto Hemi's that interchange with Chrysler Hemi's ????
Old 08-14-2010, 08:11 AM   #79
Kerry
Alliance Member

Default Re: Interchangability

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstude View Post
Are there any parts from Desoto Hemi's that interchange with Chrysler Hemi's ????
Starters but there are several different ones depending on the year That's about it.

www.vagabonds.cc
Old 08-14-2010, 09:36 AM   #80
George
Old School HAMBer

Default Re: Interchangability

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstude View Post
I think all the high deck hemis use the same oil pump, @ least according to Leo's book.
Old 08-14-2010, 11:18 AM   #81
73RR
Old School HAMBer

Here are some tid bits of oil pump info...I have also put this in the OIL System folder.
Dodge started out with what we generally consider to be the '392' pump.
Chrysler started out with what is generally called the 'early style' pump.
...and then there is DeSoto...
DeSoto used the design of the early pump, but, they used the 'foot' design of the Dodge. So what you have is an early style pump that will bolt on to a Dodge or a 392. Conversely, you can put a new M-50 on your DeSoto, of course the pick-up tube must be dealt with but, hey, were fabricators, right? Also, the DeSoto shaft is about 0.100" shorter than the rest so some fussing is required if you swap things around.

276-291 DeSoto on left, 331 Chrysler on right, note the casting numbers.

The feet sure 'look' the same...

time to get the tape out...DeSoto

Hopefully I have been able to offer some additional confusion to the issue..

Gary

Old 08-14-2010, 09:04 PM   #82
fauj

Thanks to everyone that have added to this one stop shop for Hemi knowledge. Very impressive. Great work.
Old 08-14-2010, 10:25 PM   #83
concreteman
Alliance Member

Default Re: HEMI Tech- INDEX of Tech Articles

Quote:

HEMI Tech- Gaskets

HEMI Tech- Block, head, porting/polishing, gaskets, mounting

HEMI Tech- Ignition

HEMI Tech- Daimler Hemis

HEMI Tech- Rebuilds

Scooter
Scooter
Thanks so much for the Tech Reference -being a first time Hemi owner
they have been my most and best referance for all my Hemi needs
Thanks
again
Chris
Old 11-12-2010, 08:02 AM   #84
streetcoupe
FNG

I have a early hemi I recently purchased (my first) and the seller described it as a 1958 Dodge 354 Hemi out of a dump truck. I finally got it apart (with alot of patience, 2 cans of PB Blaster and heat,. wheew) and it looks like has never been gone through before.

Headed to the machine shop but wanna make sure I'm on solid ground with the ID.

Valley casting number is # 1619829-7 and number stamped on the front of the left bank is VT576.

Any help??

Thanks, jeff
Old 11-12-2010, 08:21 AM   #85
farmer12
Alliance Member

I just want to thank scootermcrad for the wonderful Hemi tech info/index he has provided for everyone who's into Hemi's. It has certainly helped me in quite a few ways. Fantastic work! Thanks, Eric/farmer12
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC00681.jpg
Views:	388
Size:	349.3 KB
ID:	1158715   Click image for larger version

Name:	Eric-11.jpg
Views:	404
Size:	226.4 KB
ID:	1158716  
Old 11-12-2010, 08:54 AM   #86
scootermcrad
Alliance Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetcoupe View Post
I have a early hemi I recently purchased (my first) and the seller described it as a 1958 Dodge 354 Hemi out of a dump truck. I finally got it apart (with alot of patience, 2 cans of PB Blaster and heat,. wheew) and it looks like has never been gone through before.

Valley casting number is # 1619829-7 and number stamped on the front of the left bank is VT576.

Any help??

Thanks, jeff
Jeff, take a look at the ID thread linked above. You will find plenty of info on that number. At first glance, it does appear to be a truck number.

My blog:
Old 11-12-2010, 08:58 AM   #87
scootermcrad
Alliance Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmer12 View Post
I just want to thank scootermcrad for the wonderful Hemi tech info/index he has provided for everyone who's into Hemi's. It has certainly helped me in quite a few ways. Fantastic work! Thanks, Eric/farmer12
Sweeeett!! That thing is niiiice! Make sure to add a video to your progress!

Glad the tech helped! I have been SUPER busy around here, so I've fallen behind on the organization of it all. I have a bunch to add, including a BUNCH of info on Daimler Hemis, and some much needed links.

In all seriousness, though. This tech is NOTHING without all who have added to it! Keep adding to the tech as you see good links out there!

My blog:
Old 11-12-2010, 09:02 AM   #88
farmer12
Alliance Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bynIPFTZK9Q

Here's the video of its first run. I have already posted this on my build thread a while ago, but I thought you'd enjoy this one.
Old 11-12-2010, 09:55 AM   #89
73RR
Old School HAMBer

Quote:

Any help??

Thanks, jeff
The block casting number is 354! I'll add the vt 576 to the list. Thanks!

Old 11-12-2010, 12:00 PM   #90
streetcoupe
FNG

Thanks, the link is awesome. I dropped the short block at the machine shop here locally this morning,. I've got the heads that came off of the 354 engine which appear to be truck heads with the "tall" heat passages and second set of 392 passenger heads.
I want to run a 2x2 edmunds intake but the 354 truck heads with the tall heat riser passages in the center arent covered by the intake. In the link you sent me it says the 392 heads will work on the 354 short block but I cant use my edmunds 2x2,. Sigh,. Seems like there should a way,.
Old 11-12-2010, 04:28 PM   #91
George
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Thanks, the link is awesome. I dropped the short block at the machine shop here locally this morning,. I've got the heads that came off of the 354 engine which appear to be truck heads with the "tall" heat passages and second set of 392 passenger heads.
I want to run a 2x2 edmunds intake but the 354 truck heads with the tall heat riser passages in the center arent covered by the intake. In the link you sent me it says the 392 heads will work on the 354 short block but I cant use my edmunds 2x2,. Sigh,. Seems like there should a way,.
A good welder could weld up the upper part of the crossover, or use a block off plate. The Edmunds(that I'm aware of) is made for the small port 331s. See how they match up. There are a number of problems trying to use 392 heads on a 354 block.
Old 11-12-2010, 06:58 PM   #92
73RR
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
One piece intakes will not fit if you have tall deck (392) heads on a short deck (331-354) block.
The Edmunds were made for both the small port (51-53) and big port (54) heads. Which do you have? IIRC, all Edmunds have a t-stat so you need to check port size to determine which head matches the intake. You could run the small port intake on large port heads, been done many times, just not the most efficient.
You can still use the truck heads, there are two relatively easy solutions, but you will still have water in the manifold:
...Weld a tab onto the intake to cover the port.
...Once the heads have been cleaned, fill the top portion of the port (in the head) with Devcon or something similar.

This discussion needs to be moved to a project thread.

Old 11-12-2010, 07:14 PM   #93
streetcoupe
FNG

Thanks for the feedback,. jeff