Register now to get rid of these ads!

Essex help!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Sean81, Sep 20, 2010.

1. Sean81

Sean81
    from halifax

Hey everyone! last week I picked up my new project,I was told it is a 28 essex but im not totally sure thats what it is. I thought the essex had suicide doors until 1930? also the cab frame is wood? if anyone can help me identify what i got it would be great! Thanks so much.
    Sean

Attached Files:

• car.zip
      File size:
      129.1 KB
      Views:
  2. Too hard to see anything with those teeny-tiny pics! Un-zip them and post them individually.

3. Sean81

Sean81
    from halifax

hopefully these pics are better!

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      88.5 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      94.9 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      88.7 KB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      67.7 KB
      Views:
  4. Is that a coupe or a pickup cab?

5. Sean81

Sean81
    from halifax

I was told it was originally a sedan (which I am planning on making it into again) but shortened and made into a little truck with a flatdeck.

6. wino01

wino01

The dash, cowl and firewall are Essex '27-'28. If coupe, it should have suicide doors. Unknown if it is a pickup.

7. Send a PM to Ramblur. He just scored a very cool 1930 3 window. All complete and stock. He seems all noted up on them now. Good friend and very nice guy. I am sure he can help.
    JT
    p.s. I will tell him about this thread as well. :cool:

8. Sean81

Sean81
    from halifax

yeah right on, thanks.

9. That appears to be a '27 Essex four-door sedan that has been modded into a truck cab. The 4-door has normal-opening doors in the front, where the 2-dr had the suicide doors, IIRC.

10. Boyd Who

Boyd Who

Doesn't look at all like a '27-29 Essex to me. All Essex cars had suicide doors during those years. '30-31 were the only years they didn't.
    Also, Essex never made a factory p/u cab. Any that you see have been converted from sedans.

11. Gigantor

Gigantor

Looks great and unique. Welcome to the world of Essex! Its too hard to tell from those pics, but is there some pine cone and pine bough filigree on the instrument cluster? If so, that's 29 only and is awfully purdy.

12. Sean81

Sean81
    from halifax

yeah thats what is on the instrument cluster, with "stuart warner" written in the bottom center.

13. Sean, I don't know if you ever determined the make of your vehicle, but I have the answer for you. It's a 1929 Chandler, Model 65.

I have that same gauge panel that I got at a swap meet. I'm putting it in a '28 Ford roadster. I posted up a "can you help identify this" type thread which you can see here: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=536069

Thanks to lowfat48 remembering that he saw one like it in a car named Chandler, we were able to do some additional detective work to confirm that it is in fact a '29 Chandler piece. I got confirmation from an actual Chandler owner on the AACA forum, complete with confirming pictures. And thanks to henry29 for remembering seeing your thread here, and referencing it in my search thread. So, there you go.......

Merry Christmas.