Register now to get rid of these ads!

Morton wads up a Scarab

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rootie Kazoootie, Aug 17, 2010.

1. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

He's gonna be ok, but me thinks this could be EXPENSIVE!

<SCRIPT language=JavaScript> var requestedWidth = 0; </SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=JavaScript type=text/javascript src="http://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/js/article/viewerControls.js"></SCRIPT><SCRIPT type=text/javascript> viewer_currentlySelected = 1; viewer_lastIndex = 1; viewer_images = ['http://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/media/site570/2010/0815/20100815__b1.coffin.0815~1_VIEWER.jpg']; viewer_widths = ['200']; viewer_heights = ['130']; viewer_captions = ["Emergency crews clean up the remains of a 1958 Scarab Sports Racer after... (DAVID ROYAL/The Herald)"]; viewer_galleryUrl = '/portlet/article/html/render_gallery.jsp'; viewer_articleId = '15785282'; viewer_siteId = '570'; viewer_isPreviewing = 'false'; viewer_isEmbedded = ''; viewer_activeButtonLead = 2; viewer_visibleButtonCount = 5; viewer_allowEnlargement = !isEmpty(viewer_galleryUrl); selectImage(1); function addToDimension(dim, val){ index = dim.indexOf('px'); if(index != -1){ dim = dim.substring(0, index); } dim = parseInt(dim) + val; return dim; } if(navigator.userAgent.indexOf("MSIE") != -1){ $('photoviewer').style.width = addToDimension($('photoviewer').style.width, 2); $('caption').style.height = addToDimension($('caption').style.height, 2); } requestedWidth = 202; </SCRIPT>[​IMG]
    <SCRIPT language=JavaScript> if(requestedWidth > 0){ document.getElementById('articleViewerGroup').style.width = requestedWidth + "px"; document.getElementById('articleViewerGroup').style.margin = "0px 0px 10px 10px"; } </SCRIPT>Popular American race car driver John Morton was involved in a scary crash on the opening lap of Group 3A for 1955-1961 Sports Cars over 2000cc that silenced a large and sun-baked crowd at the Rolex Monterey Motorsports Reunion Saturday at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca.

But Morton was able to climb out of his car and wave to the crowd as he entered an ambulance to be transported to Community Hospital of the Monterey Peninsula. Morton, of El Segundo, was driving his dream car, a 1958 Scarab Sports Racer, when he wound up sideways in the entrance to Turn 2 and was broadsided on the driver's side, sending the car rolling and landing in the dirt on the side of the track wheels up.

2. panheadguy

panheadguy
    from S.E. WI

Who owns the Scarab?

3. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

I think maybe I saw coverage of that on tv?? Was there a camera in the car?

4. I was under the impression it belongs to John,,I could be wrong.:rolleyes:

This is what the car did look like before the crash.HRP

[​IMG]

5. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

jillion dollar car - they'll fix it - regardless.

Glad the driver walked away (albeit with some assistance).

dj

6. Jay Ess

Jay Ess
    from New York

Car belongs to the Collier collection.

7. Probably already at Bruce Canepas shop in Scotts Valley

8. panheadguy

panheadguy
    from S.E. WI

Just got an e-mail Collier Collection Miles C. Collier

9. 32Steel

32Steel
    from NorCal

Hey guy's...I shot a series of 25 pics of the accident from the hill overlooking turn #1. Here's just a few pics... :)

10. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

if at first you don't succeed...

kidcampbell71 likes this.

11. Wow, snow must have caused the accident cause all i see is white !!!:cool:

12. '46SuperDeluxe

'46SuperDeluxe
    from Clovis, CA

With something like that, even if they re-build it from scratch or with just some original parts $$$$$$$$$, they will let it run again. I think the original Old Yeller was just a twisted mess that sat in somebody's yard here in Fresno for years, and was "recreated." They let that in their little "club" just on Legend. I am really glad to hear that the driver walked away, they didn't usually make it in the old days.

13. 32Steel

32Steel
    from NorCal

Just a few pics of the accident from the hill overlooking turn #1. I have 25 in the set.

14. the-rodster

the-rodster

You're killin' us, man.

Rich

15. 32Steel

32Steel
    from NorCal

Sorry about that technical error. It keeps saying something about a lack of a "security token" is preventing my download...If someone want's me to email them directly to them, maybe they can post them??? windows vistas sucks by the way, just my .02 cents though! [email protected]

16. 32Steel

32Steel
    from NorCal

I poster a few pics on facebook as well...Look for Dean Burnside-Machado.

17. If I remember correctly, wasn't that Revenlow's personal car???

18. Toner283

Toner283

Email them to me & I will get them posted up for you.

[email protected]

19. Four Banger

Four Banger

Scarey stuff. That Scarab is a sad loss, but I'm just happy John Morton is okay. He is one of my heros from the BRE 2.5 Trans Am days. Great driver, and a nice guy too!

20. 32Steel

32Steel
    from NorCal

Thanks Toner...You should have quite a few by now!

21. Toner283

Toner283

Here are the pic's from 32Steel. I think I got them in the right order.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Granted, the car is upside down in the pic's, but it does not look to be too badly destroyed IMO. I can see that one being fixed for sure.

22. 32Steel

32Steel
    from NorCal

Thank's Toner! You got them in the right order...Through all that, the #08 Ol'Yeller car did a full 360' without being touched!

23. Is #2 a Lister? Glad to hear no serious injuries, but it's a shame to see those cars banged around.

24. Toner283

Toner283

So what exactly happened? just pushing them a little too hard & broke the back end loose? (#2 & #08)

did Morton drive right into the middle of it?

Looks like a wild ride for a few seconds.

25. metalshapes

metalshapes

Looks like he started the chain reaction by spinning in front of everybody?

Big A, yes, that's a Lister.
    Going by the Exhaust, Chevy powered.

26. Shit - that'll buff right out.

Cosmo

27. We were there Friday, when all the classes were doing time trials to set the grid for Saturday. To say the least, none of them looked like they were in any hurry, and being a drag racer, I got bored pretty quick.
    Very sorry to see any cool vehicle get wadded up!

28. COOP666

COOP666
    from Austin TX

Was that one of the Scarabs that was on display at the GNRS this year?

29. The37Kid

The37Kid

Glad the driver walked away. I think I've seen that car at the Lime Rock Labor Day event, I'm sure it will get a full rebuild and be as good or better than new.

30. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

I met John a few times, too. Really a great guy and driver. The best thing about vintage race cars is that regardless of when they were damaged, either racing back in the day or at historic events, is that you just repair them and they don't "loose" any value. Try that after you drop your "collectible" Picaso ceramics or Ming dynasty vase. Gary