Register now to get rid of these ads!

My 51 merc a work in process

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oddrod46, Aug 9, 2010.

1. oddrod46

oddrod46
    from Georgia

Well I recently gota 51 Merc a car I have wanted for many years, after doing some work under the hood and addressing some major fluid leaks and basic shakedown I have started doing a few mods just lowered the car 3" and to me it has the perfect lead sled stance slightly lower in the rear. I also had the original laquer paint from 51 buffed out a 5 hour long 3 step process that I left up to a professional and was very pleased with the results. next on the list was changing the street rod style steering wheel for a 15" white Mooneyes vinyl wheel with bullet center, and removing the tach all together.my next plan is installing the skirts I have on the way and a couple other minor mods for now. she's clean has no rot or dough and drives like a dream.I know there are alot of moredoor haters out there but I love it.the factory lines on these cars and the rear suicide doors are reminiscent of a time when cars meant something. anyways here are a couple pics the first is stock ride height and oxidized paint and the other is lowered and buffed.thanks fellas enjoy.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Congrats..looking good.

3. CruZer

CruZer

Wow !!! I told Joe he should keep that car and give it a good buff job. Amazing !!!!

I saw it when Joe had it and was amazed at how solid that car is. No rot anywhere !!!
    Not a bad original interior either.
    I hope you enjoy the car.

I have his '34 Ford roadster !!!!

Glenn

4. sledish

sledish

Sweet ride. Nothing wrong with a four door at all. Cool that you saved the original paint too !

5. Very nice, any side shots?

6. THOMAS31

THOMAS31
    from DALLAS Ga,

looks good bro ,that paint has life still in it.....get by the shop and give me a ride !!!!

7. ricardo_rocha

ricardo_rocha
    from Brazil

I have one Just like this...But made in Canada!

8. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

great start, sweet merc..

9. joee

joee

O MY O MY WHAT DID I DO !!!!!!!! :)........looks great sonny, i'm real glad you like it...

10. That thing rocks!! It looks pretty similar to mine!

How did you lower it?

Attached Files:

11. BBYBMR

BBYBMR

She's a knock-out! Sounds like she's in good hands. Enjoy.

12. SportSedan

SportSedan

Looks great !!, maybe skirts and sunvisor?.

13. oddrod46

oddrod46
    from Georgia

definitely skirts and sunvisor, I lowered it with 3" blocks out back and Ford Aerostar springs up front.She rides very smooth

14. SportSedan

SportSedan

Great, post some picks when you get visor/skrits to Merc.

15. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Very kool, there is a four door rolling around Bartlesville that I would love to
    have. You've done what I would like to do to her. Like what your doing and
    enjoy the time behind the wheel.

Happy Trails,

Mick

16. HRod 50

HRod 50

Yayyyy another 4 door.. Good looking car man, CONGRATS!!!!!!

17. StrickV8

StrickV8

looks great man! what a difference.... will hunt up those parts we talked about

18. oddrod46

oddrod46
    from Georgia

Phase 2 consisted of skirts, lakes,spots, and some mexican blanket seat covering, I used hog rings to pull em tight whare they will stay in place.I also put in a carpet plan a white 15" Moon steering wheel and removed the tach. as well as A new Moon 3 gauge cluster. here are some before and after pics.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. Philbilly

Philbilly

WOW! The car looks amazing! The stance is right on and I think the 4 door Mercs look good.

20. Big Papa

Big Papa
    from Cozad, Ne

Looks Great with the Skirts! I think the Visor will set it off also. Just make it yours!
    Have fun Kruzin!
    Later

21. brady1929

brady1929

22. oddrod46

oddrod46
    from Georgia

Ok here is an update on my Merc, I changed the 427 dana 44 out with a 331 I got from Ether,restored and installed a 50's small aftermarket box style heater.this car was a factory radio delete and heat delete mercomatic car.Now it is time to take it up a notch, I am going with acouple of tastefull body mods before paint. nose, deck shave and fill side trim(leaving beltline and doorhandles) and frenched ant.as well as adding a kustom built steel visor that was built by my good friend Tommy Moore owner of Moore's Hotrods.He will be doing all the bodywork as well as mods and paint prep work, I have had him do 2 other cars for me and was very pleased with his attention to detail and traditional craftsmenship.His work has been in several magazines. This visor flows with the lines of the car better and in my opinion is more subtle then most of the other visor 's on merc's I have seen.I am contomplating a louvered hood. For paint choice I am going with Gloss black.I know there are alot of black Merc's but again my car my choice. black is timeless and classy and will look nice complemented by my choice of interior which will be be black and white tucknroll vinyl. here are a couple pics, 1 is with trim the other is without followed by a first mock up of the visor.This is my daily driver and only car. thanks for lookin.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 29, 2010
  23. mx6262

mx6262

Hey Bro I think your car is near perfect....Great Car great stance great story. And the older I get the more I like doors!!! You can have more fun with more doors:rolleyes:.......

Enjoy :cool:

24. Love it, love the plans. Don't mean to be contrarian, but I would not do a visor though.

25. Otto's

Otto's
    from Tampa

Love the visor!

26. oddrod46

oddrod46
    from Georgia

John no worries everyone is entitled to an opinion.Ill repost pics when the car and visor are all one color and you will see how well it flows.I am not afan of big clunky visors on these cars but I love the lines and style of this one.

27. oddrod46

oddrod46
    from Georgia

thanks guys, sorry forgot to add Im goin active with the lakepipes and removing the rear duals.
    Goin to have a2" glasspack bullet mufflers plumbed in under the car before the lakes.I have used these mufflers before they have a nice deep sound and will eliminate blueing of the pipes and will keep it from lean popping or backfiring. I want to keep it classy and have a clean traditional look to this sled.

28. StrickV8

StrickV8

lookin' good there man. can't wait to see more...

29. hvychvy

hvychvy

Lookin great,keep the updates coming!!

30. BaznJosh

BaznJosh

I'm not a four door fan, but I DO like Mercs!
    I'm with John tho', not keen on the visor, and if it was mine I'd keep the side trim.
    But it's certainly a nice car, and in better shape than my Dodge!