Register now to get rid of these ads!

question about gear drive on a SBC??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bobx, Mar 22, 2005.

1. bobx

bobx
    from Indiana

whose installed a gear drive on a SBC??

they always say 'minor machining may be required'.

what needs to be machined??

also, im looking at a pete jackson gear drive..any comments on it??

thanks.

2. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

:D

I installed one ( a PJ ) a few years ago with NO problems. No grinding, cutting or anything........I took it OUT about a week later...........

it was Noisy........

way too noisy....... :)

3. Dirty2

Dirty2

I use them all the time with no problems !!!

4. jangleguy

jangleguy

Haven't used one myself, but I understand some require grinding the face of the block for cam gear clearance - no big deal. My machinist pal talked me out of using one (a Pete Jackson) because he had so many fail, destroying engines. He says the higher quality (cost) ones are okay, but then you might as well go to belt drive, which is better yet. The above guys had no problem, so what does he know??? I don't care for the noise, anyway - I'll let the exhaust and tires do the talking...

5. I've run Pete Jackson's stuff several times over the years with no problems whatsoever. Of course, they were in WFO race cars. There's a new unit in the 332" SBC that's going in my street-legal sprint car and I'm not sure if I'll leave it in or go to a stock-type cam drive setup.

I've always bought the quiet one....the one he makes for real race cars. :D

6. I had one in this 57 of mine years back. It was a Erson yea, yea, yea the Super Shops crap I know...made in China.. it sucked. Sounded wicked for the first 10 minutes or so then after that I could not wait to get the hell out of it. The whine got old fast..I would have old farts tell me I needed to put power steering fluid in it.

7. tim burns

tim burns
    from Oregon

they also rob power. if you are after precision cam timing you should use a jessel belt drive anyway.

8. Personally I think they sound like shit and are obnoxious as hell. If you want good sound, let the exhaust or big solid lifter cam do the talking. Of course a real blower sounds great, but it is nothing like a shitty gear drive sound that some posers think they are copying. Did I mention that gear drives sound like shit?

Gman0046 likes this.
  9. hotrodsnguns

hotrodsnguns
    from Fresno, CA

They sound like shit, and do nothing for anything but an all out race car. Save your money, better heads. more cam and/or better carberation. Or if your really stupid a bottle.

10. Rusty

Rusty

When I built my first motor the only thing I cared about was having a Pete JAckson noisy Gear Drive. Always remeber cars that had them. Put one in a SBC 350 with now problems or having to modify anything. SUre made poeple ask questions. I need to get me another one for my Coupe.

11. Rusty

Rusty

Or if your really stupid a bottle.[/QUOTE]

Ohh Lahh LAhh. NOw your talking and getting me all excited. Nothing better than some juice

12. harry fabricator

harry fabricator

hey guys dependin on the gear drive . they are pretty much slap in . but it cause cause harmonic`s and bolts can losen off . and dependin if square cut gears are noisy the helical cut gears are queiter . that is my 2 cents

13. colorado51

colorado51

Yup, I put a PJ in my 66 Chevy II with a 383. This was quite a few years ago, but if I remember right I had to shorten the cam button a little, thats about it.

I left it in, but didnt really care for the noise after a while. If you want the noise, put a blower on your engine.

Also, the PJ will actually rob a little HP from the motor.

14. Mass Butcher

Mass Butcher

I put an edelbrock gear drive in a sbc 400 a few years ago, and I as well had to grind the cam button down some for clearance. I think some of the timing chain covers are a bit wider, so you may not have to. I had a crappy mr. gasket chrome one at the time.

15. Arthur

Arthur
    from NC

I used a Pete Jackson "noisy" gear drive on the 350 in my 32,and there was no machining to be done.

16. Arthur

Arthur
    from NC

I used the Summit polished aluminum timing cover with mine. The one with the removeable cover. Like you said,it probably has extra room.

17. tedster

tedster

I installed a quiet Pete Jackson gear drive, had to do some minor grinding on the front of block. It sounded great not annoying like the noisy one. Always got compliments on how good it sounded, the guy that bought the car says it still gets compliments. I would do it again for sure.

18. Danger.......stay away.... i threw mind in the garbage!
    PJ are shit, it was years ago, but at the ripe age of 17, built my first motor, put the PJ in to make a 'cool' noise, motor never started, 2 weeks of fucking around, went and got a double roller chain, lined it up after removing the PJ and guess what, the PJ's timing marks were off about 3 teeth.....talked to someone at PJ and they even admited that they make mistakes now and then
    now i just laugh at them

19. reborn55

reborn55

Installed Pete Jackson in my 283 11 years ago--had to machine a spot on the block--no big deal. Still going strong today.

20. 2R5 Studie

2R5 Studie

I've had a pete jackson in my 50 studebaker pickup since 1992. Someone else installed it before I purchased the engine The trucks now is in it's 3rd renovation. This time I,ve thoroughly insulated and added carpeting. Maybe I,m just getting older. Now, even with diminished hearing, I can't tell you which is more annoying-the "Whine" of the gear drive or the "Drone" of the Flowmaster 40's. Grandpa's old truck is going to be much more user friendly this time around. Going to Magnaflo and Cloyes 9-1100 Double-roller chain.

21. slowmotion

slowmotion

Sounds like a cool truck, and one helluva thread dig!
    Damn near 12 yr old thread, might be a new indoor record! Congrats!:eek::D

turboroadster and lothiandon1940 like this.
  22. Gman0046

Gman0046

Made the gear drive mistake once it sounded like shit. Won't make the same mistake twice.

Gary

henryj1951 likes this.
  23. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

The ONLY tolerable WINE i ENJOY, is the one i heard in 1963 ,
    it was a ShowRoom NEW 63 Impala 4 speed THE "Rockcrusher".
    Don't LIKE the GEAR DRIVES houl.