Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods I finally got back to making some progress on my Model A

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fordf1trucknut, Apr 24, 2010.

1. fordf1trucknut

fordf1trucknut

I finally got a chance to spend some time metalworking on this hunk of junk. I am making progress but it is slow moving...lots of cutting and welding.

I also picked up a 1942 ford truck open drive banjo rear for it this week. I still have to decide how to do the rear suspension and if I am going to keep the stock frame or buy 32 rails.

Here is a before pic....

[​IMG]

Here is a current pic....

[​IMG]

Greenblade likes this.
  2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is real progress. Same quarter or did you change it?

3. fordf1trucknut

fordf1trucknut

It is mostly the same quarter except for the very back of it (that part was way too gone to try to fix... pinholed and smashed) I cut out the smashed pin holed roof too and made a patch out of new metal, I kept hoping to find a piece to weld in but gave up looking and started hammering on my own patch.

4. twink

twink

Its looking good! John

5. FlamedChevy

FlamedChevy

Nice work...Slow and steady.. It will be worth taking your time...

6. Looking good, I like your wall hanger too.

7. ken1939

ken1939

Greetings from Pittsburgh;)

Hey NICE work there! I know most would say, pile of crap, but I see what you see. Deuce frame? Not a bad choice, they look neat that way, but dont feel bad staying A-bone as well. Cant wait to see more pics of this one.

8. burnt clutch

burnt clutch

That inspires me to do this someday! Post more pics when you can..by the way, what year is your coupe?
    -Karl

9. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looking much better. Nice job.

10. fordf1trucknut

fordf1trucknut

Thanks guys.

the car is a 1930.

I currently have a merc 255 flathead and 48 truck 3 speed transmission that I plan on using but the motor isn't set in stone.

I would consider a y block or and early hemi If I found one for the right price down the road. I also came across a 346 Cadillac Flathead and a lesalle 3 speed that I have been kicking around using but at this point I am leaning towards the 255.

I have a lot of F-1 parts beeing that I drive one daily, have a sleeper f-1 and another that I am restoring.......... so this car will use f-1 front brakes, f-1 tranny crossmember with f-1 pedals, f-1 shock mounts, and I already set up and f-1 steering box and column.

11. temper_mental

temper_mental
    from Texas

Wow that is amazing work. I would love to see more photos.

12. johnnykck

johnnykck

Quality work takes time and it looks like your doing some great work!

13. HotRod33

HotRod33

You are doing some nice metal work... it should make nice hotrod....

14. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

15. fordf1trucknut

fordf1trucknut

I forgot I had this thread started......I figure I will update it instead of posting updated in one of my other question threads....

here are some more pics showing some more of the progress I made.

here are a bunch of the pics I took when I first got it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

here are some of my progress pics I took a while back.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Greenblade likes this.
  16. fordf1trucknut

fordf1trucknut

Now here are the more recent pics..

These are the last pics of it still on the original model A frame right after I welded a better firewall in and got the cowl section all repaired and welded up (I wanted to make sure the metal was repaired and strong enough before I lifted the body off to replace the subrails and frame).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

here were my frame and subrail mockup pics...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here were the pics after I got the subrails welded in and it mocked on the frame.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. fordf1trucknut

fordf1trucknut

Here are some pics of it getting axles mocked up and some of the mounts welded up as well as my modified rear cross member.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

32owner likes this.
  18. 562roadster

562roadster

Great progress! My brother is running the vw box just like you are. They're versatile.

19. fordf1trucknut

fordf1trucknut

I got a little more done and need to take more pics....this hunk of junk is a lot of work but is slowly getting there.

the current pile of parts consists of:
    new 32 rails
    new model A 1 inch drop front crossmember
    model A original rear cross members
    model A front axle and split A wishbones
    1946 ford truck rear axle.
    new reversed eye front spring
    new stock A rear spring
    1948 f-1 tranny crossmember and pedals
    1948 steering box modified for an early VW bus steering box bracket
    1948 f-1 3 speed transmission
    I have a magnafluxed 1950 merc flathead block and crank for it and would love to find a vintage blower setup for it sometime off in the future.
    I have a 1930 grill that I will probably use OR I may go 32 grill...I am still up in the air on this.

I am currently planning on makeing the body pretty much all stock and will run it as a fenderless highboy with the suspension just a little lower than stock.....roads suck in my area so I want some ground clearance..... I am a BIG guy at 6 foot 8 inches tall and just under 250 pounds so although these look cool chopped I gotta leave it tall.

20. Very nice progress, and some inspiration for my 30, which in a few hours time, will be getting some panel work done.
    Im going to be welding new steel in, and at 45, it'll be my first real welding experiance. :eek:
    I hope my work is at least half as nice as yours.

21. The37Kid

The37Kid

That's the first time I've ever seen 30-31 subrails on a '32 chassis,I always thought the kickup was in the way of them laying flat. Thanks, good to see you're making progress. Bob[​IMG]

22. fordf1trucknut

fordf1trucknut

thanks guys...

This is putting the cart before the horse but here are some neat parts I plan on using...

One is a vintage chromed heater from an f-1 that is in nice shape.

[​IMG]

The other is a unique shift knob that a friend of mine sculpted, cast and finished for me.

[​IMG]

23. fordf1trucknut

fordf1trucknut

I am running my frame rails a tad narrower than everyone else to avoid having to hack up my new subrails.....I spent a good bit of cash for them and didn't want to hack them up (except for some minor trimming of the inner flange).

24. cool coupe, nice work, looks like it's in good company also.

25. The37Kid

The37Kid

Ok, I'm piecing together original subrails from 3 different bodies and plan to use a kickup section from a HAMB member in Colorado. The plan is to get the body together and in primer befor starting on the chassis.

26. desertrat1929

desertrat1929
    from Bedias, TX

Way to go! I've done this kind of work for many years and know what you're going through. That is very nice work. It takes a ton of patience and determination just to get it where you are now. Keep up the good work and keep showing us your progress!

27. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Looks like you making real progress.. Good job so far.........

28. fordf1trucknut

fordf1trucknut

I tinkered with it a bit more and mocked up a grill shell and a hood.

I kinda like the way it looks with the hood I wonder if I can somehow manage to fit the Flathead in and keep the hood without cutting the firewall?? It would be nice to have the option of running it with and without the hood.

[​IMG]

29. B-Ray

B-Ray

30. Rehpotsirhcj

Rehpotsirhcj
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Bear with me while I ask some probably stupid questions...I'm really curious about the frame setup. Looks great by the way.

You went a little narrower in the rear to allow the frame to slip within the subrails. And to my eyes it looks like your cowl is sitting pretty square on the frame. Did you alter the width of the front crossmember or no? Also, Whats the location of the front crossmember? I was thinking you'd be an inch or so long to run an A hood if the cross member is in the stock location.