Register now to get rid of these ads!

HELP! '40 Ford brake problems

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Big Mac, Apr 7, 2010.

1. Big Mac

Big Mac
    1. Utah HAMBers

I've got early style front brakes ('39-'41 Ford) on my model A. I just bought new shoes, and the drums won't go back on. I've made sure of the following:

1) small shoe to the front, large on rear.
    2) backing plate adjusters are turned so the shoes are all the way "in".

Drums would spin freely with the old shoes. Drums won't even go back on with the new shoes. There's not even that big of a difference between the size of the old and new shoes. Is there something I'm missing? There's got to be a trick to this. One side went on OK. It was tight, but it went on. That said, my gut tells me it shouldn't even be tight. Shouldn't the drum spin freely even with new shoes? The other side wasn't even close. I could probably pound the drum on, but I know something's not right so I figured I should ask the pro's before I really screw something up. Can anyone help? Thanks in advance. By the way, I've only spent 3 hours trying to put these new shoes on, and my favorite wrench is now in the gully behind my neighbors house. Man that was a good throw. It's been frustrating to say the least.

2. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

Do you have both the bottom and side adjusters turned all the way in?

3. roundvalley

roundvalley

On a '40 I think the small shoe goes to the rear. Bendix is reversed. When you turn the adjusters make sure the inside cam is moving. Did you change brake cylinders. Did you maybe get oversized shoes? Are the cylinders relaxed?

4. did you buy standard or over sized shoes ? i seen the oversized the first time last time i looked on macs

5. Big shoe should go to the front as they do most of the work on these set ups.
    The brakes have two mechanisms for adjustment. In the old manuals they talk about major and minor adjustments.

In your case you need to do both. The anchor points for the shoes are mounted on an eccentric. This is where you do the major adjustment in a situation where you fit new shoes. Firstly however you should back off the cam adjusters . Then release the lock nut for the studs on the anchor points and then rotate the studs which will move the shoes in and out on the eccentric. Bring the shoes in as far as they can go then attempt to fit the drum. You may need to push the shoes up or down a bit to make them concentric.

Some other questions. You may have fitted over-size shoes and this will cause problems as described. Also, is there a ridge on the edge of the drum ? Have the drums been machined to suit the new shoes?

6. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Ok 1 The short shoe goes to the REAR on 39-48 Ford brakes. 2 You MUST readjust the 2 anchor pins on the bottom of the backing plate.
    Short consists adjustment procedure.
    1 before you put the drums back on turn those bottom cams to move the shoe end in towards the spindle.
    2 replace the drums and tighten the upper adjusters till the wheel will not turn,then turn the bottom cams out towards the drum until the wheel frees up.
    Repeat this several times until moving the cams no longer frees the wheel.
    3 finally back of the upper adjusters till the wheel rotates with a LIGHT drag.
    There should be a dot punched in one end of the wrench flat on the cam to help you posistion it .

7. Good one about the wrench in the gully - a few years ago I was helping my neighbor build a new shop. I drove in the driveway right after work to put in a few hours and he was just driving out. I asked him where he was goin and he just grinned and said "Fleet Farm - need a new tape measure" I didn't have to ask where the other one went - I knew it flew into the hay field.

8. Big Mac

Big Mac
    1. Utah HAMBers

Good question about the brake shoes. Not sure if they're oversized or not. I got them from Vaphead here on the HAMB and I think I have the standard size, but not sure.

I did not change cylinders, and I don't think they're relaxed. I know that the shoes are making contact with the cylinders, and when I turn the adjusters to move the shoes in, the cylinders get pushed in a little, but it seems like there's more room for them to "collapse"....

Bottom adjusters? I only saw the two adjusters on the top on the backing plate (side adjusters?). Maybe this is what I'm missing?! Where are the bottom adjusters?

Man, the HAMB is a life saver for things like this. Thanks everyone....

9. CheaterCarl

CheaterCarl

Bottom adjusters? I only saw the two adjusters on the top on the backing plate (side adjusters?). Maybe this is what I'm missing?! Where are the bottom adjusters?

Man, the HAMB is a life saver for things like this. Thanks everyone....[/QUOTE]

if you don't see bottom adjusters you may have 42-48 Ford backing plates... they used a pin style anchor w/ no provision for adjustment. Could you post a picture of your backing plate?

The wheel cylnders sound like more of the issue, open the bleeder & push both shoes into the cylinder (be careful not to shoot all the brake fluid on you like a money shot), this may be enough to get the shoes in & the drum on.

Sincerely,
    Cheatercarl

10. Here is my story that may be the answer to your problem. Thirty seven Ford with later hydraulics. NOS drums. Drums would not go on. Problem turned out that the supplier arbitrarily arced all shoes to thirty thousandths over assuming all drums would be at least that far over. Had the shoes arced correctly and the problem was solved. Now your only problem is finding someone to arc the shoes. OSHA and the EPA eliminated most of the machines in small shops. I may have sent mine back to the retailer to be returned to the manufacturer for arcing but I don't remember.

Charlie Stephens

11. Big Mac

Big Mac
    1. Utah HAMBers

All great info. Thanks so much. I think I'll try moving the bottom adjusters first, then if that doesn't work I will probably be angry enough to arch those suckers by hand.

I watched my dad put on a hubcap one time. Hit the bottom and the top popped out, hit the top and the bottom popped out, and so on.... This continued until he snapped and threw the hubcap like a frisbee. Could of set a world record for distance! To this day I don't think I've ever seen anything as funny as that...

12. striper

striper

To summarise:

1. Release side adjusters

2. Release lower adjusters (unless you have the later brakes that only have pin locators)

3. Push pistons back into brake cylinders.

I think that is what is said above. Sounds right to me.

13. Big Mac

Big Mac
    1. Utah HAMBers

OK, problem solved. I really appreciate the help. I'm a little embarrassed to admit I had no idea those bottom bolts were adjusters. Funny thing, when you adjust those properly it REALLY helps! lol. Done, put back together, cleaned up, and ready for a whole new set of problems tomorrow! Thanks guys, I really appreciate it.

Big Mac

14. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

If you follow the proper adjusting instructions, '40 Ford front brakes are very good, just remember to periodically readjust just the top ones for best braking performance.

15. Big Mac

Big Mac
    1. Utah HAMBers

Hey, I just remembered it's TECH WEEK! Does my thread qualify!?!?! lol....

16. Just to round off the discussion on this thread I have scanned some old Ford Factory Bulletins on the subject .
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Big Mac

Big Mac
    1. Utah HAMBers

Awesome stuff.... Thanks!