Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects StNick's - 1957 Ford Custom 300 Build - Progress Begins!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by StNick, Apr 4, 2010.

1. StNick

StNick

We recently got the car in the Barn, Mike has been helping me to make room for the engine swap.

Got started on the 57 today, task was to get the front clip off the car.
    [​IMG]

Here we are with our tools!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now the Job is done for the day
    [​IMG]

2. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

That's awesome, I love these cars! I'll be paying attention to this build

3. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

Cool car. Keep us updated.

4. NoSurf

NoSurf

Woohoo!!!

Looks great so far guys.

Nothin' better than workin' on stuff with your Dad.

Any pics of the mill that's going in?

5. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

looks good you guys. i love '57s.

6. StNick

StNick

THE MILL..............

A wee little FE Ford 427 cross bolt main beefed up to 486 ci

[​IMG]
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

7. StNick

StNick

Oh - I also want to mention - look at that intake - It's an orig FOMOCO tunnel wedge - very rare - cool stuff - expecting 600+ hp - should get me to the bank and grocery in record time - Uh - and to the gas station - also worth mentioning is the Richmond 5-spd - Mike is real good at locating neat stuff for my Ford - Have an orig set of 50's WWW slicks which will look good for show - don't think I'll runem though - we'll post more as it develops - Stnick

8. 69supercj

69supercj

Cool car and motor for sure. I wish I'd have kept my '57's, I had a couple of 2dr. wagons and a 4dr.wagon. One of the 2drs. was a special order for the US Dept. of Agriculture. I'll keep a close eye on this build also.

9. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

Holy hell that's a sick engine. Only problem with dropping an engine that sweet in is that the rest of the car should be just as nice! Looks like this is gonna be a really high quality build. Love that!

10. NoSurf

NoSurf

Wow. The motor does look awesome!!!

Now I can't wait to hear it run!

It should move that little 300 pretty good....

11. ford51

ford51
    from sweden

12. Gasser57

Gasser57

13. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Oh man, it's great to see an update on your car!! Great story on it, too.

That's a hell of an engine/trans combo - should be a blast to drive!

If there's anything you guys have a hard time finding, let me know... especially when it comes to chassis/suspension/brake rebuild parts.

I'll look forward to updates -- best of luck!

Malcolm

14. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

Badass hot rod motor. Very, very cool.

15. allways cool to see another 57 being done

i'll be watching and maybe learning some more stuff

16. claymore

claymore
    BANNED

That is one Awesome FE you have there. And it will look right at home in your 57. I have always like the post cars better than the hardtops.

17. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

Well what can you say. You have one of the coolest body styles ever and a 427 FE to power it. This is gonna be GOOD.

18. YES, YES, Thanks Malcom!

Front End
    We have been debating over the front end. we picked up an econline axle a while back, Dad's not too keen on the nose being in the air.
    So we are considering rebuilding the front suspension, (ball joints, bushings, springs, tie rod ends, etc) - Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

I priced it out at Macs, they are priced much higher then Napa!
    I've been digging online:

• Upper Ball Joints: Moog(K8212) $25 online
    • Lower Ball Joints: looks like '58's work with a little hole modification
    • A-Arm Bushings - haven't tracked them down yet.
    • Springs: would be nice to find something with a little higher spring rate
    Rear End
    I have a line on a 9" with a factory 3.0 posi, disk brake rear. I think it's a little pricey @ $500 cuz we will have to have it narrowed a bit.

Brakes
    What are our choices for the front? Is there an easy disc swap?

-----
    We really want this car to go and stop straight!
    I think it will out perform dad's high school car for SURE!

Thanks for your help guys!

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

19. This is a great build - I've always loved the '57 Ford's styling (this is coming from a guy that's owned '55-56 CHEVIES! :eek: )

I'd definitely upgrade the brakes to handle all the HP that FE-motor's going to make, and while the Econoline axle would make your ride look like a '60s era gasser, I think rebuilding the front end with some up-to-date shocks, brakes and bushes would mean its more useable (must be getting old, eh?).

Look forward to seeing more as you guys progress.

20. Chalupa55

Chalupa55
    from So-Cal

Starting with a very cool car. Motor looks sinister. Should be fun. Keep the pics comin'.

21. Is that late jim morrison? just kidding. Good luck on the build. Im a sucker for a 57. 59's too!

22. 57Custom300

57Custom300
    from Arizona

Cool car. Mine started out like that. 6 banger and all. I stayed old school with mine but I would love what your doing.
    Engine. 292, 3x2, Comp Cam, Reds Headers, T5 Trans. You'll have to get a new fuel line for it because the 6cyl one runs down the wrong side.

Front End & Chassis. I found some lowers on ebay the rest was in good shape. I got my bushings from Dennis Carpenter, I think he had the best price. Look out for the inner lower control arm bolts, they seize up in the frame. NAPA sells them (about $110 each) comes with the bushing too so dont buy too many if you need the bolts. I put bushings in the rear also.
    I plan on air shocks for the rear and I'm going to Detroit Spring for new front ones. I think they can make what you need.

Rear axle. I just went with a 4:11 and all new bearings back there.

Brakes. I see disc brake kits on ebay all the time for about $500. I think people use Granada componets on these. I kept the drums all around and just rebuilt everything. Plan to go to a dual m/cyl and all new lines when money permits.

Keep up the good work, I'll be following this thread.

23. dirtbag13

dirtbag13

just clicked on here to find that bad ass fe engine , dual quads , aluminum heads , that motors gonna be a torque monster and in a 57 ford , sweet ! gonna be a nice car !

24. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Damn, dude, you have the same knack for getting exceedingly dirty like I do. What a cool car a 57 Ford is, yours will be even cooler when it's kicking Corvette's asses.

25. one37tudor

one37tudor

Scarebird was putting together a kit for the 5-6-7 Ford disk setup.

26. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Front Suspension:
    I've used a Front End Rebuild Kit from Performance Suspension Technology (PST) on my old '57, on my old '62 Galaxie, and a friend used their kit on a '63-1/2 Galaxie.
    http://www.p-s-t.com/pc-917-94-ford-full-size-rwd-1957-02.aspx

I really think that's the way to go. At $219, it's a good deal, compared to buying the components separately.

Front Brakes:
    Like 57Custom300 mentioned, there are disc brake kits and the Granada spindle swap. I really don't know anything about the kits. I did use the Granada spindles on my '62 and was happy with the results. You can easily get calipers, rotors, bearings, etc. from almost any parts store or online. If you find a pair of spindles, you can get everything else new/rebuilt. Rock Auto is a really good site for looking up part numbers and ordering from.
    http://www.rockauto.com/
    If you look up a '79 Granada w/ 6-cyl. or V-8, it should show everything you need.
    Also, those spindles will drop the front 1" to 1-1/2".
    The Granada master cylinder is damn near a bolt-on for the '57, also (I think).

Rear:
    Again, like 57Custom300 mentioned, you can get springs from Eaton Detriot Spring. Front AND Rear, I believe--
    http://www.eatonsprings.com/

You could either rebuild the stock rear brakes -- again, parts can be found on http://www.rockauto.com/ .
    Or, if you want discs on back for a reasonable price, I think people use Ford Explorer parts from the 8.8 rear ends. Here are some examples on Ebay:
    http://motors.shop.ebay.com/__?_from=R40&_trksid=p3841.m39.l1313&_nkw=9"+ford+disc&_sacat=

Hopefully this helps you guys out some!!! Love that car -- wish I still had mine!!

Nick

27. Thank's Nick, that's a great help. Sounds like I might get to go to the junk yard!

I love the junk yard!

28. 57Custom300

57Custom300
    from Arizona

Damn, dude, you have the same knack for getting exceedingly dirty like I do. What a cool car a 57 Ford is, yours will be even cooler when it's kicking Corvette's asses.

I'm in the same group here. Used to call me "Pigpen" whem I first started.