Register now to get rid of these ads!

Aluminum Flathead at Detroit Autorama

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tank, Feb 27, 2010.

1. Tank

Tank

Can anybody give me a bit of info on the Aluminum Flathead block that I saw upstairs at the Autorama? I know that Ford made several as an experimental engine. Guess I didnt know any still existed. I know I read about these in an old issue of HOT ROD. I'll have to see if I can dig it up again.

2. willys1950jeepster

willys1950jeepster
    from pdx

I've seen magazine ads announcing the upcoming release of an alloy flathead block. But I don't remember the vendor.

3. The37Kid

The37Kid

If it is an old block it may be for aircraft use, if it is brand new I think it is from a west coast shop.

4. I know Don Ferguson is working some aluminum flatheads.

5. Tank

Tank

Heres a few pics of it. It has some sweet speed equipment also, SAE heads, Freiman intake, H & C mag.

Attached Files:

6. wingman9

wingman9
    from left coast

There's some guy out here on the west coast manufacturing aluminum flathead blocks. The first time I saw one was at the LA Roadster show two years ago. If I find any more info I will post it.

7. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

8. Tank

Tank

Ive seen the new Aluminum blocks, I don't think this was one of them. Shadow Rods??? This is a 59 style block. Had some nicks and wear here and there. It appeared to be old. I think I do remember the Hot Rod article saying they were experimenting with the possible aircraft powerplant.

9. Tank

Tank

10. That's right. What you see is a polished cast iron block that has been exposed to the hands of a "Master Polisher" with 25 years of experience. NO CHROME... Actually, all the shiny metalwork is bare metal that has been massaged by Glenn Gibbons, owner of R/T Custom Polishing. Glenn's work is second to none; and is one of Metro Detroit's best kept secrets. He is also one of the nicest guys you will ever meet. The display's base was designed and built by Chuck Miller (he also painted all the red goodies) as well as several other of Glenn's friends in the area. Rob

11. Tank

Tank

Wow! Really? Thats amazing work! I never would have guessed it to be cast iron that was polished. I knew of the original aluminum blocks Ford made and just assumed it was one of those few. Thanks!

12. troylee

troylee

I was staring at that flathead like it was a naked lady. I could not tell, should have asked. I like shinny but that looks like a lot of work.

13. J. Fitzhugh

J. Fitzhugh

Wow. That is amazing work. I did a story on the last aluminum flathead for The Rodder's Journal years ago (Issue 18), to follow up on the story that was noted in Hot Rod in like 1952.

You guy's probably know that I am a huge Thickstun fan. An interesting fact is that the ultra rare SAE heads are from the original Thickstun, then Tattersfield patterns. They also made a 2 x 2 intake that was also a Thickstun copy. Look at how the lower bolt holes are scallopped, and the letters across the upper edge. The right side firing order also gives this away as Tattersfield. Dead give-aways.

Useless trivia. This is the first set of SAE heads I have ever seen. Thanks for posting.

14. john walker

john walker

joe whetnall, formerly of whetnall polishing in arlington wa. polished up an old cast iron fire hydrant like that. pretty impressive.

15. I let Glenn know that I posted a reply on the HAMB about his work. He's going to give me some pic's of the build to post to show the process of the build he named FLATLINER. I will post them as soon as they are made available to me. Rob

16. Pretty much any metal can be polished to a shine. Some are simply easier and retain the shine longer than others.