Welcome to the THE H.A.M.B. forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   THE H.A.M.B. > General Discussion > The Hokey Ass Message Board

Old 02-11-2010, 01:51 PM   #1
wesleywaldeier
FNG

Default Front Engine Dragster

Looking at building a fed, was wondering if anyone has built an S&W kit or any of the other prebent chassis kits out there. How are they to build if you have built one, and how close to the originals are they? (do they still look like the old school ones?) If buying an actual old chassis is the way to go how much modifying do you have to do to make one NHRA legal?
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 01:57 PM   #2
Gasser1961
BANNED

Default Re: Front Engine Dragster

My altered was built using Mark Williams blue prints. Check out this guy, builds nice stuff.

http://www.kingchassis.net/

http://rocinanteridesagain.wordpress.com/
Old 02-11-2010, 05:34 PM   #3
Candy-Man

"Rooman" here on the hamb/ Keith is the guy for your FED build......

http://candyshotrodsupply.blogspot.com/
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 02-11-2010, 09:12 PM   #4
150J/F
Grenade Inspector

S & W and Mark Williams kits are well designed and the chassis will pass NHRA
certification when you are done BUT it takes some serious tools, equipment and
skills to build at home. Can you TIG weld? Got a long table...alignment bar, etc.?
Talk to some people that have done it. Really old chassis are spooky. Lots of
work to modify for current certs and they tend to rust from the inside.
Old 02-12-2010, 09:28 AM   #5
Richard D
Old School HAMBer

H.A.M.B. member 58FED also builds replicas of the old frames.
Old 02-12-2010, 11:09 AM   #6
HemiRambler
Old School HAMBer

It CAN be done at home - having a bender is a huge PLUS. Having a chassis table is a nicety not requirement - I built mine on saw horses. An alignment bar is definitely required. If you enjoy the journey as much as the destination then I would definitely consider doing the build yourself. If that isn't important to you and you have the dough then there are definitely some great builders here on the HAMB. As has been suggested - you definitely can't go wrong with Rooman!

An old Chassis may be more trouble than it's worth - especially if you want to CERT. Look before you leap!!

Doing one at home is alot more work than you might think - depending on what you are willing to take for granted and what you want to determine for yourself. And then there's all the little brackets and piece parts that can nickle and dime you to death ifd you're buying them. Good Luck!!
Old 02-12-2010, 11:16 AM   #7
H.G. Wells
Grenade Inspector

Yea, what he said.

I bought an old one and updated it to current specs and spent way more than I would have to start with a new one. Yes you can do it at home if you have the tools and skills, and with a little creativity you can do it without a chasssis jig. But it will probably not be as good.

Remember your life may depend on the welds and design. Are you that good?

If you think hiring an expert is expensive, try hiring an amature.
Old 02-12-2010, 11:28 AM   #8
Ruiner
Old School HAMBer

There are plenty of good chassis builders here on the HAMB, along with a wealth of information as to everyone else's hiccups along the way of building their FED's, so you can see what not to do as well as get advice on how to make everything work properly...Dolmetsch is building his own 6 banger FED, Kerry is building a blown hemi one, amongst many others...welcome to the HAMB...

PS, you might want to do an intro in the intro section of the forum, just so we can get to know you a little better...

USA Made Speed Parts
Sold Here
online   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 11:39 AM   #9
Littleman
Alliance Member

You can build one just as good without the jig....the jig is nice for building a bunch of them, you can build in for various lengths........your only as good as your last measurement ! No matter what you build. As far as design, look around, they all follow a perscribed layout, most are the same with slight differences in locations, no voodoo their...If you can build a car at home from the ground up ....more than likely you can build a digger and advance your skills. I just helped a local chassis guy bend and tack one up....He alway's told me diggers were the easiest thing that he built out of his shop...It truely was simple once we got into it..Do you want to learn?....maybe do not have the time and or feel more comfortable having someone else tig it up..do what you have to do if you alway's wanted one............Littleman

...............'' Are we adults.......or just tall children? ''......
Old 02-12-2010, 12:00 PM   #10
bill wallace
Alliance Member

First you need to join NHRA & then purchase a rule book. Second you need to contact SFI & buy the specs from them for a front eng dragster. If you can buy a kit that has all the pre bent parts & meets the curent specs that will save you a lot of work & time. There are several ways of building an accurate jig to build on using a single beam all the way to a chassis plate. As several folks have already said if you have the tools, the experiance,& the time& money go for it.
Old 02-12-2010, 12:01 PM   #11
wesleywaldeier
FNG

Thanks for the help guys. I hang out with about 5 other old hotrodders and weve all tossed around the idea of an old school fed but no one has ever built one. We have built all of our cars so far, and built our own frames. I really would like to try and build the chassis, and with our combined know how i think we can do it. I was just wanting to hear from some guys who had actually done it, to see if its a hudge undertaking.
Old 02-12-2010, 12:08 PM   #12
rooman

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesleywaldeier View Post
Thanks for the help guys. I hang out with about 5 other old hotrodders and weve all tossed around the idea of an old school fed but no one has ever built one. We have built all of our cars so far, and built our own frames. I really would like to try and build the chassis, and with our combined know how i think we can do it. I was just wanting to hear from some guys who had actually done it, to see if its a hudge undertaking.
You are welcome to come and visit at my shop anytime. Indy/Brownsburg is not too far from Iowa and I always have at least one FED in the shop. Right now there are three new ones and a couple of originals here.

Roo
Old 02-12-2010, 12:14 PM   #13
56sedandelivery

Buy a NEW aluminum ladder and quality sawhorses, and you can make your own chassis table. Many of the kits can be bought tack welded together, or the major components finish welded. Butch/56sedandelivery.
Old 02-12-2010, 12:18 PM   #14
Rex Schimmer

If you are looking to build a early style chassis, contact Keith Tardel, he has kits for the early Chassis Research K88 chassis.

Rex
Old 02-13-2010, 09:22 PM   #15
v8 Bake
Grenade Inspector

Hummmm so now I'm old?
Old 02-13-2010, 09:37 PM   #16
Dolmetsch
Old School HAMBer

I am on my second FED build. (with an altered in between these two.) I must say i really enjoy building them. It is very interesting work for me in my retirement. If you work in small steps and dont worry about scheduling the finish it is a very rewarding venture. Not expensive either just time intensive. I make a lot of stuff first in wood or cardboard to see if it is what i want before I finalize it in steel. I build in mild Steel because i personaly work well with it.

Last edited by Dolmetsch; 02-14-2010 at 03:58 PM.
Old 02-21-2010, 09:28 AM   #17
lippy
Old School HAMBer

I'm going to make the next one longer, this one is a little short. Lippy (in the snow today) in Ks.
Old 02-21-2010, 09:42 AM   #18
KRITTERSKUSTOMS

Lippy, can we get more pics of yours. I want to sell my racetruck and build one also.
Old 02-21-2010, 09:52 AM   #19
lippy
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRITTERSKUSTOMS View Post
Lippy, can we get more pics of yours. I want to sell my racetruck and build one also.
I have a bunch. I don't want to step on this thread so, PM me your e-mail I'll send some, any part special? Lippy
Old 02-21-2010, 10:28 AM   #20
mctim64
Alliance Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRITTERSKUSTOMS View Post
Yeah, I'd like to see some of your front. You know for ideas, maybe you could post them on the Eagle Field thread I don't think Rocky would mind.

Now for the guy who started this thread. S&W and Mark Williams are great places for parts and ideas, I bought blueprints from Williams and use them for a guide line. My car is going to be Y-Block powered and you just can't go strictly by the plans with an odd engine (too wide at the starter). If you are going sbc or Hemi the kits would prolly work fine but in my limited expieriance I would say a jig is a must, especially if you are doing your first, I have found how hard it is to keep everything centered and in line.

That being said, go for it! I'm having a blast building mine.

"it looks just like a Tellafunkin U-47"

http://yblockguy.com/