Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects **** My first Custom '54 Ford Victoria Build Thread ****

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by daddy_o's_diner, Jan 14, 2010.

1. Purchased this Victoria in September because I needed a more kid-friendly car than my '34 Hudson (pics in profile). I immediately lowered it and slapped on some wide whites I had in the shop. Tore into it this winter to go full out on a mild custom build.

Just floated the grill and in gettin it stripped for paint. Car is unbelievable!! Perfect floors, trunk, rockers etc... The first car I have ever stripped and not found any surprises. just gettin ready to french the headlights and tail lights.

Plans are for copper with a pearl white top. I had some photoshop help from some great HAMBers to get me motivated.

Should be in color by February. Then to the interior. After seeing the "all White interior" thread, I think I am going that route. The kids will just have to get used to sitting on seat covers!

The car is powered by a 351w and a C4. Considering an AOD swap, but time and money are pretty limited.

I'm gonna have a very busy this spring getting the car back together in time for some of the early shows.

I'll try to post any major updates as they happen.

Let me know what you think.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 25, 2013
    Kustomline54 likes this.
  2. Looks great,,keep us posted with updates.HRP

3. When you french the headlights , If you already don't know it, put the headlight bucket in from the back so if a headlight goes out you can change it.

4. If you can weld those bezels on, a lot of people will be impressed. They're pot metal if you didn't know. '52-3 ford rings, and '52-4 merc rings fit and are steel.

Car looks nice! I'll take a bunch of pics of my interior when I get it back in, it might be something you could use for inspiration!

5. 76ironhead

76ironhead

Man that car is looking good frenched headlights on that style car looks great.

6. briggs&strattonChev

briggs&strattonChev

Custom Crestline, what are the headlight rings on your car from? The chrome ones.

7. kkoacolonel

kkoacolonel
    from Union,NJ

Looks cool!.Keep us posted.

8. Please do - I'd love to see some interior shots.

Thanks

9. Lowmerc50

Lowmerc50

Cars going to look kool

10. briggs&strattonChev

briggs&strattonChev

Daddy o I looked at your profile album, what are your tail light lenses from? They look different than the 54-55 olds that are normally swapped. Cool tho

11. The lenses are '52 olds set into modified stock Ford lenses. I had the lenses before I had the car!

12. carnut341

carnut341

54 headlight rims have a peak on the top and side and will not enterchange with 52 or 53 because they have a peak only on the tpo and the Mercurys have no peak.

13. travisfromkansas

travisfromkansas

14. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

very cool build!

15. Very cool. The grille looks great!

16. vein

vein

looks good! It doesnt take much to make your 54 a cool kustom! Less is more!

17. Ahah, you aren't kidding, that body panel glue is INTENSE. They should keep the bezels on no problem then.

I figure, it'll be about two weeks until everything is thrown into my car, interior wise atleast. Its not gonna perfect, I need a new dash insert and radio, mine got hacked up in the 80's. I still think you'll enjoy it.

Might I say again, that car is gonna be really nice.

Briggs: They're '55 Olds.

18. desertdroog

desertdroog

You are lucky to start with such a clean car. Saves time to focus on the really neat custom treatments. Good job!

19. Thanks for the kind word guys.

Frenching of headlights and tail lights should be done this weekend.

That is, if Wifey lets me play. Gotta finish the remodel of the bathroom or or I might be sleepin on the couch.

20. Jarzenhotrods

Jarzenhotrods
    from .......

That one on the bottom in the middle is freakin sharp!!! I hope it turns out great for you. Nice color choice.

21. Jarzen,
    Thanks for the complements. The middle one on the bottom is what I'm shooting for. The color is an awsome copper that goes toward gold when the sun hits it.

22. Got a headlight and tail light frenched - looking good. Now to get the other side done.

Getting pretty pumped about the way this project is coming along!

Attached Files:

23. Sorry some of the pics are sideways - they aren't on my computer?????

Last edited: Jan 20, 2010
  24. Kustomline54

Kustomline54

Hey car looks good! How did you french the headlight doors? Did you use the pot metal 54s or the steel 52-53s?

looking 4ward to see more pics:)

25. I used the '54 pot metal headlight rings. We stuck 'em on panel adhesive.

26. I would be concerned about bonding your headlight rings. You might get a bond line where the rings and fender come together. It will more than likely "ghost" through the paint over time. Car does look bitchin. Where did you find such a solid 54 in Michigan? Does it have a good crossmember and innner rockers? Nice find please bring it to some shows this summer

27. 'tiki,

We ground and fitted the headlight ring so it fit very snug to body - very little gap. We then applied the adhesive to the inside edge of the ring and pressed it on. The very little, if any seeped to the out side and any that did was wiped off. we hit the gap witha little duraglass and very thin coat of filler. Done!

I'm confident the rings are not going anywhere and that the filler will be fine.

The car was found in an old guys garage in the little town of Beaverton, MI. Was supposed to have been from Cali originally??? Solid as they come - really nice! most filler sen in pics is due to the trim/emblem holes being welded up.

I hope to have the back together in time for Billetproof, but the earlier date this year may get me. Maybe see you there or at the new Billetproof replacement show at the old venue.

28. No dout they wont be going anywhere, but like I said that " little" gap may ghost eventualty. I just passed through Beaveton this past weekend on my way to Gladwin. I used to pass a junkyard on 18 that had some old stuff, noticed most of it gone this time around. It would be great to see that car at Sins of Steel first Saturday of June 2010. Still got the Y block in it?

29. Ya, Sins of Steel. That's the show I was thinking of.

No on the Y block. I wish it did. The PO installed a 351w and a c4.
    Time and $$ prevent me from switching it back.

30. It's in primer!
    Gonna let it sit a couple weeks before blocking it out and having the color shot.

Hope to get the under hood area and front suspension cleaned up and painted in the mean time.

Also need to figure out what I'm gonna do for an interior so I get going on the dash and garnish moldings. I'm thinking body colored dash (copper) and an all white tuck and roll. May add some copper inserts in the seats ????

Can't wait to see it in color.

Attached Files: