Register now to get rid of these ads!

newbie in chiefland fl, scored a 53 flathead v8 need some help with the history

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by billybonesmusic, Jan 14, 2010.

1. billybonesmusic

billybonesmusic

hey bro's! looks like i scored a 53 ford flattie EAB motor, any info would be helpful about soaking and taking this thing apart, the best place to get rebuild parts etc..never worked on anything this old, so....step one? thanks, bb.

Attached Files:

2. blown49

blown49
    Member Emeritus

Start by removing the tranny, bell housing, pressure plate and clutch disk. Will it turn over with a breaker bar and socket on the crank pulley? If it does then remove the intake manifold, dizzy and heads. If not remove the intake manifold and spark plugs and spray some Kroil in each cylinder and while you're at it spray all the valves and valve guides in the valley below the intake manifold let it sit for a couple of days and try to turn it over again. You may have to rock the crank pulley back and forth once it starts to move. Let us know when you get to this point and we'll help again.

Go your favorite bookstore or amazon.com and buy the Frank Oddo book "Ford Flathead V8 Builders Handbook" you'll be glad you did.

Parts available from various vendors, some on the HAMB. Others are joblot.com and redsheaders.com.

Only history I can help with is the motor is prolly 67 years old!!!!!

Good luck and add to this same thread as you progress.

Jim

Last edited: Jan 14, 2010
  3. billybonesmusic

billybonesmusic

Thanks Jim, i was aware of the Oddo book, but not the Kroil, i will try and find some tonight at the parts store, thanks again, man, there are a lot of people on this forum!
    awesome!

4. Asphalt Outlaw Hero

Asphalt Outlaw Hero
    from Dixie

You may have to get the Kroil via the mail.
    Google Kano labs.
    It is good stuff!

5. blown49

blown49
    Member Emeritus

I ordered a couple of spray cans of Kroil a couple of weeks ago for like $13.00 and it is good stuff; I've used it since around 1958.

Should have mentioned in my initial response to you that before you get too far along look closely on each side of the block, just above where the pan bolts to the block, for any freeze cracks. If any there are you may have a good base for a coffee table but limited use for a rebuild. Most times these cracks are un-repairable.

Jim