Register now to get rid of these ads!

My positve experience with Howell Sheetmetal

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Richard D, Dec 12, 2009.

1. Finally got started doing the patch panels on my T. I'd heard both good and bad here on the H.A.M.B. about Howell. They aren't too terribly far from where I live, so to play it safe I drove out there to pick up the panels myself. I have to say, I haven't met a bunch of nicer folks. I had called a few days prior, just asking about availibility; I didn't give them a credit card number, or even my name, just said I'd have a friend who live nearby come get the stuff. When I called yesterday before going out there, I found that they had already made up my parts, they were sitting aside waiting. When I got there, they showed me around, and explained how they make their parts. The place is a cool old-time shop; no fancy CNC controlled mega-buck equipment, just a hand full of guys with a few brakes, bead rollers, power hammers, and various purpose-built machines. Althouh they do distribute some machine-stamped parts for other manufacturers, most of their stuff(including my patches) are hand made on demand. Jim and Lee, the employees I talked to, were very polite. I ended up hanging around for a half hour or so shooting the shit, and looking at the guy's own projects they had in the shop. I would definitely go back, and highly recommend Howell Sheetmetal.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Looks good. hey man if you need some help with bodywork give me a holla im right down the street from you.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2009
  3. 5window

5window

That's just shocking! But so good to hear. It's always better one on one.

4. jhnarial

jhnarial
    from MISSOURI

I would have trimed it back and but welded it.

5. We would have, but I have a MIG; no Argon for Levi's TIG as of yet. Once we get his TIG unit set up, we'll be doing lots of TIG welding as opposed to MIG.

6. Streetwerkz

Streetwerkz

I've read the horror story's on here too...
    When I ordered all my parts, about 12 total I had them in about a week, and you cant beat the price and quality

7. flatford39

flatford39

The quality and the price is above average. They are also made in the USA. You guys that are local that can pick up have a good deal going. If you rely on Ryan to ship it to you, well that's another can of worms. You will get it, but you're going to wait. I had shipping problems with my order but I finally did receive the parts. Will I order again. Absolutely. Just order about two months prior to needing the parts.

8. I you want to go back, can you pick some up for me and send them to Seattle :) I am scared to ordrer them from here :/

9. BBobb

BBobb

Mig...tig........stitch it up grind it and skim it out and go for a ride...just my two cents!!

10. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

I called Howell several years ago to discus some stretched '29 CCPU corner panels. Got a price that was a tad more than the standard panels. Called Bert's in Denver, a Howell dealer, and ordered them at the same price I was quoted by the manufacturer. I did the louvers with my machine

Buying through a dealer, even if it's a little more money, makes sense.

11. I just ordered a pair of bun panels (behind doors) and a rear panel below the decklid for my 27 T (that the seller told me "won't need patch panels").

They shipped them within 48 hours, and UPS tracking says they are received and in transit to LA.

Will be a month or so before they land here, as they are going via sea freight from LA

Once I get them, I will decided if I want his decklid inner and outer....... anyone used Howells 27 Roadster deck lid ??

12. I have always had good service from these guys..sorry about all you guys that have had bad luck.....Maybe it was your attitude when you talked to them.....

13. troylee

troylee

I just ordered sheet metal for two 33-34 truck cabs. First time doing bussiness with them. I also read the other post but I will give them a shot. Small guy making good parts for old tin. Beats givin the cash to the commies.

14. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

Chili dog doesent need any stinking help.....just kidding...he loves help..maybe he will finish this project

15. Joe Tx

Joe Tx

I'm in south Texas and have ordered quite a few patches on different orders and I've never had a problem getting the stuff. I even called Ryan one time and told him the back panel on my '30 A pu was really bad and needed a wider piece than the stock piece they offered. Asked if he could do it 12" tall and he said "sure". Charged me $10. extra. Quite a deal. Highly recomended. Joe.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. draggin breath

draggin breath

The whiners usually have the podium. I've bought several times and the orders arrived in a timely manner,just like from Brookeville. Sometime the guys on here need cheese with their whine.

17. nailheadroadster

nailheadroadster

"Whiners"??? Having your card charged up front, not receiving the parts, several phone calls, gettin the run around, promises of it "shipped out yesterday", more phone calls, won't give out a tracking number, refuses to cancel the order cuz it "already shipped", more lies and 7 weeks later get some panels that are damaged from no packing material inside the box and don't fit... WHINERS???!!! Are you serious??

Outright terrible business practices and lies do not warrant a shining review for Howell's from me. And I'm pretty sure if you were treated in the same manner, draggin breath, you wouldn't be so quick to throw out the snide comment about what you think of people who have had the countless bad experiences you may have read about.

How about you send me about $450 bucks for some promised parts then I give you the same treatment that I recieved? I'm pretty sure you'd change your tune in a hurry and become one of the "whiners"!

Last edited: Dec 13, 2009
  18. RustDust 29

RustDust 29

My 29' A sedan had bad rot on the rear panel and the patch they have in their cataog was not enough, so I called Ryan and he said he could make a complete panel from the belt line down for me if I didnt mind waiting awhile...that he had about 4 other guys that needed the same peice, so he was going to make them all at one time. When I asked how much (kinda of concerned about what he was going to say), He replied $140 bucks, I said make it! I got it about 3 months later and didnt get charged until they shipped it. The piece was great and I would recomend them to anyone.

19. Kyle (Tcoupekyle here on the HAMB) used a decklid skin on his coupe, not a complete decklid; he welded it solid, doesn't open. I wish I'd looked at one of their decklids while I was there, I'll need one eventually.

20. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Do they only make panels for Ford products or do they make them for others too and what are the years that the make the parts for.

21. troylee

troylee

I ordered on 12/4 and recived My sheet metal in about 10 days. The pieces look good. Have to say I am happy with them and will order again.

Attached Files:

22. mattblack52

mattblack52
    from Ohio

I just got my bun panels and rockers for my 27 T roadster. Price and shipping time is GREAT!! However they crammed them in the smallest box they could muster and the bun panels have creases in them I'll have to hammer out. But better than rust holes I guess.

23. ShiftyRat

ShiftyRat

The guys at Howells just sent me about seven pieces for a 30-31 model a. The pieces arrived at my door four days after ordering. I am only about 2 hrs from them, but that is still good service. Parts were awesome!!!

24. I guess response time is getting better.