Register now to get rid of these ads!

Please help with id'ing this old 4x2 intake manifold. olds or caddy???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mike hamel, Oct 6, 2009.

1. mike hamel

mike hamel

Hey guys, I just have a quick question about an id on an intake manifold I bought awhile back. I bought it and the guy had no idea what it was for. The intake is NOS and no named. I think it could either be a caddy or olds? What do you think?

Attached Files:

2. I would say caddy as it has no water cross over in the casting, Olds do have the cross over.

3. mike hamel

mike hamel

I thought, that olds also could of had the serperate water cross over??

4. Yeah it could, but the one hanging on my wall has the water cross over and its the Same looking casting as that. I dont see why someone would cast it without, I have never seen it.
    Plus dont the Caddies plum the water cross over into the front of the head rather than the top like the Olds? If I am right here, there would be no need for the cross over.

Someone will know better than me!

5. Dago 88

Dago 88
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Technicly speaking you are right Fly, but I have an olds 6 carb & a blower manifold that need a seperate crossover as well. I am not familia with Caddy ? but that looks close to Olds bolt pattern.

6. could be Stude also

7. mike hamel

mike hamel

I know that oldsmobile and caddy intakes are very similar. I just am not familiar with the differences. Never thought it could be a Studebaker??? It looks like the intake could be made by cragar too or horne... i wish

8. Looks like an Old's to me but no water crossover. I think the Caddy bolt holes are lined up and an olds are staggered more. Here is a couple picture's of a caddy intake, hope these help.

CBB

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 7, 2009
  9. Here is a Smoljan triple for Stude. Very close to Caddy. No water cross over.

[​IMG]

10. RocketDaemon

RocketDaemon
    from Sweden

ears are cut on the front side

cant find an pic of an olds 4x2 with water cross over, my cragar blower intake is attached the whole way not just by water cross overs.. anyone with an 4x2 with water cross over on that know if its just by ears its attached?

anyways, cragar made 471 intakes for olds with or without water crossover
    could be an 4x2 intake intended for racing or just with the water cross over cut off..

11. Paul

Paul
    Editor

definitely Olds

12. It's not a Caddy bolt holes are wrong , looks like Studebaker. If it is a Studebaker manifold by Horne or Cragar you have one rare piece. looks like someone ground off the name then sand blasted it.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2009
  13. mike hamel

mike hamel

so is it safe to say that it is either a studebaker or oldsmobile intake? Does anybody have a picture of either intake anywhere close to those? That would be pretty neat if it was a studebaker. Olds too though.

14. GOATROPER02

GOATROPER02
    from OHIO

Cragar
    Its an Olds with the front sawed off where the water cross over was

Tony

15. GOATROPER02

GOATROPER02
    from OHIO

The crager name was on the cross over

Tony

16. mike hamel

mike hamel

but the water cross over cant just be sawed off. I found a 4x2 cragar that has the water cross over and its fully apart of the casting. The tabs on the mounting holes where just cut off.

17. BLEH

BLEH

Here's a 1959 Midwest catalog shot. I'd say Olds too...wish the prices were still good :)

Attached Files:

18. mike hamel

mike hamel

but the olds has a water cross over and the cadillac does not?? ahhh confusing!!!

19. jroberts

jroberts

I have seen Caddy manifolds modified a little and used on Stude V=8's. I am not sure about the Olds. If it is a Studebaker piece it would be very rare indeed.

20. mike hamel

mike hamel

Ya I know that horne was a precursur to Cragar, that is why those 2 intakes are almost identical. Cragar bought out Horne cause they were such a little business.

21. Here is the one hanging on my wall. It could be a Cragar or Horne with the cross over cut off, but look at the mounting hole next to the top LH carb...............that aint on your manifold. Where is inspector clueso when you need him.

Covers 069.jpg

22. BLEH

BLEH

Can you add a picture of the end where the water crossover would have been? I'm with GOATROPER02 in that the cross over was cut off. That might explain the bolt tabs that were cut. If the aluminum web between the intake and crossover is like my Olds Horne 4 carb, I could see how it could have been cut and ground fairly clean?

Also, if you look at the head flange in the catalog and the one Human Fly posted...they have the same pattern and different from the Caddy.

23. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

looks to me like you got a horne intake, probably for olds.

here is a horne caddy intake, note the different heat riser blockoff.

[​IMG]