Register now to get rid of these ads!

Neutral Safety Switch TH400

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by KQQLCAT, Oct 2, 2009.

1. KQQLCAT

KQQLCAT
    from Hudson, WI

Does somene make a neutral safety switch with a backup light switch for th400 tranny? I am doing a conversion on my 61 olds from a slim jim with Ross Racing Engines Tranny conversion.
    Thanks

2. squirrel

squirrel

3. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

Actually, General Motors made one and installed them on Chevrolet/GMC Vans and step vans. They are a bracket that is held on by two bolts that also goes to another bracket ( not shown ). The other bracket bolts to the transmission pan. The neutral start switch has Park, Neutral and a back up light function. I have one on my 32 Ford with the Turbo 400 in it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

No picture of the Turbo 400 bracket ... :(
    But here's the switch ... NOS and a used one ( for a spare ).

The old GM part number for the switch is # 1994168

But the switch is for a early 70's Chevrolet/GMC vans ( or a step van ).
    The late 60's and early Chevrolet/GMC pickups also had the switch on ... SOME ... of them.

Sometimes difficult to find
    I get them every time I find a good one in the junk yard.

The used neutral start switch shown actually also came on a same vintage van equipped with a Turbo 350. The Turbo 350's does not require the extra bracket that the 400 does ;) .When looking in the junk yard for the switches ... it is easy to tell which vans came with it ... because the later models have the neutral start switch on the column ( like shown below :D ) ... not under the Van.

[​IMG]

4. KQQLCAT

KQQLCAT
    from Hudson, WI

I new someone here would have an idea of what to do.
    Thanks
    Pat

5. Canuck

Canuck

I think the T350 switch is different. I tried to set up a switch I had in stock, didn't know what it was off. The position of the various contacts in the arch of travel was different than the T400 trans I wanted to put it on. Finally gave up and assumed it was for a T350.

Canuck

6. KQQLCAT

KQQLCAT
    from Hudson, WI

Now I have to find this set up. Does anyone have it for sale?
    Pat

7. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

In the " old " GM parts book catalog ... the part number is the same.
    My book is a 1975 paper book printed for Chevrolet dealers. ( the Chevy place gave it to me about 3o something years ago :) when the new next year one came in ) :D

I have used the T-350 ones on my T-400 ( with the correct GM made T-400 bracket ) a few times.

8. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

PM me ... I have used ones ;)

9. I found this old post...hope someone will see it....MY QUESTION...I have a NOS switch for a 400 tranny ( I guess)....can I use it on the 350 tranny...I have the old 350 switch..SO.... can I use the bracket from that to use on the new 400 switch..???...part number for the new switch I have is #1994168..

Last edited: Jun 1, 2019