Register now to get rid of these ads!

28-29 "A" on 32 frame rails question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by decker, Oct 2, 2009.

1. I've decided to put my "A" on 32 frame rails and am wondering about the "contour" as seen in this picture.

[​IMG]

I understand the rear cut off and crossmember pinch... but hadn't ran across this notation of a "contour" previously. I'm assuming that's right where the cowl is.

I'll most likely be using these rails part # 03-1058A as Jim is "local" and I'll be able to go and pick them up rather than having to pay for shipping.
    http://www.jimweimerrodgarage.com/crossmem.htm

Thanks... and if there are some handy HAMB links availible for this I'd appreciate it as well.

This is all Bass's fault... :)
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=336494

Last edited: Oct 5, 2009
  2. F&J

F&J

The 32 is a swayback frame, meaning it's not flat like the bottom of an A body.

I guess we can assume you are going highboy?

old time way was to make a wood shim to mate the flatbottom sills to a swayback 32 curve from cowl front to the rear tire.

I believe someone makes "flat" 32 rails that only fit the A.

3. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

We've done them in our shop every way possible. I have contoured them, just pinched them at the cowl, several customers have wanted just the stock 32 deminsions, and we have done them with fabricated rails that are flat on top and contoured to the body. Over the years it's kinda what the personal preference of the customer has been and how many different opinions he has been told?

4. colorado kid

colorado kid
    BANNED
    from Colorado

i think its all in what want, and have to spend,my 28 is going on 32 frame with stock deminsions

5. I've got no problem cutting into the floor... because there isn't much of one on this coupe at the moment. Kinda hoping to get the body to sit on the frame much like this one... minus the front up-sweep on the chassis.

[​IMG]

(This car has been on my screensaver for a l-o-n-g time btw)

I was going to go the chopped, channeled and kicked route... but I really like the visual height of the '32 frame sides... and a little added comfort inside never killed anyone right?

Here's a few more 28-29's on Deuce rails I like... just for reference. :)

this lower stance...
    [​IMG]

this chop...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I just added this one cuz' I like it... :)
    [​IMG]

The front end including a hood and the 28-29 shell very much like Clark's...
    [​IMG]

22 JR
    [​IMG]

I'm adding this one because I like the way the body sits just a smidgen over the rails...
    [​IMG]

this car... well... it's just the shit...
    [​IMG]

What's ironic is that there are a crapload of 30-31 coupe's on '32 frames to visualize from here on the HAMB and elsewhere... but very few 28-29 coupe's to do the same from... ton's of roadsters... few coupes.

Added...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 4, 2009
  6. HotRodMicky

HotRodMicky

I don't like the So-Cal speed shop frames.The pinch looks goofy...
    McFly on here has a nice example for a 28-29 on 32 rails.
    I like them the way Clark did it.

On the pics you can see how i did it.
    Michael

Attached Files:

7. Thanks :)

Any shots from the side... and what's the deal with your x-member?

McFly's car is quite nice... http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/album.php?albumid=8653
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 2, 2009
  8. hr31hr

hr31hr
    from PA

I have been considering this as well. Does anyone know if the suspension from the A can be used on the 32? I have a Pete and Jakes chassis with hairpins upfront and the long lladder bars in the rear with coil overs.

9. dang that rear quarter panel on the right looks HUGE

10. HotRodMicky

HotRodMicky

I finished the crossmember with holes that i cut with a plasmacutter.
    I also put a top plate on there another brace and the trns mount.
    Sorry no other pics.
    Michael

I decided on the build after a phone call to Brian Bass and looked on Jimmy White
    website for pics of McFlys build

11. redsteely

redsteely
    from Phoenix az

Check out Black board hot rods. He builds 32 frames set up for A's. I have one of his for my 30 sedan. His work is exceptional he has lots of these frames under his belt and his jig set up is primo. Show quality parts at home builders budget.

http://www.blackboardhr.com/