Register now to get rid of these ads!

stereo flathead manifold help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by guffey, Aug 2, 2009.

1. guffey

guffey

I picked up this 2x2 flathead manifold at the Red Barn Spectacular swap meet and it has no name or numbers that I can find. It has had some material added to a few runners but I am wondering what engine it will fit and who probably made it Thanks in advance

[​IMG]

Moriarity likes this.
  2. 1950Effie

1950Effie
    from no where

No road draft tube, no front oil fill. '48 and earlier. On the 8BA ('49-53) there would be a draft tube hole at the front corner pass side, also just behind that would be the oill fille tube spot. The back opening would be for the fuel pump.
    The back opening on this one serves for the vent and oil fill. Looks like a Fenton but not. The added material concerns me. I wonder why they added this.

What are the dimension? Is there any markings on the underside or in the runners under the carb bases? Numbers or anything?

I know it's not a Edmunds, Navarro or Thickstun. I have quite a few of those and thye look nothing like this one.

3. Straightpipes

Straightpipes

Looks like they got a little carried away with the porting. Lets see the bottom side of that sucker.

4. 1950Effie

1950Effie
    from no where

Damn, I didn't even think about that being the porting worm virus!

5. guffey

guffey

Here is one set of ports[​IMG]

Moriarity likes this.
  6. 31ACoupe

31ACoupe

Will fit 32-53 flathead V8's. probably just an aftermarket product, someone might have removed any markings. As to the added material, it is a mystery right now that pics of the ports might help clear up. I like it, it is different and kind of weird and would look good on a ratrod.

7. 1950Effie

1950Effie
    from no where

'31's right, the intake will fit any Flatty 32-53. If it is a vintage intake made right after WWII the aluminum was pretty poor about that time. The porting issues looks more like it could have been warpage and they were trying to correct the intake seating. If you realy want to use it, throw a straight edge down on it and see what feeler gauge size fits under it and see what she tells ya! It maybe so out of square you may want to use it for wall art.

8. FoMoCoPower

FoMoCoPower

Is that just casting fllash?

9. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Only backwards manifold I was aware of was the Hexagon Tool one (and its racing ancestor)...I don't think that is one, but I can't for the life of me remember details of Hexagon appearance even though I own one. Anyone have a Hexagon pic?? I don't think this is a ground down Hexagon, which would make it something REALLY odd!
    Vac setup is about 1939 and back...welding must surely just be a poor and scabby repair of damage in that area?

10. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

11. guffey

guffey

Bruce Lancaster, many thanks for your insight. I think I owe you lunch sometime. You will see why shortly. I am not too addept at flatheads but I am learning.

[​IMG]

I think I was suppose to find that manifold.

Moriarity likes this.
  12. guffey

guffey

It turns out there is a photo in Mark Dees' Miller Dynasty book that shows that version of the Hexagon tool manifold on Ted Horn's Miller Ford.

Moriarity likes this.
  13. banjorear

banjorear

It may indeed still be a Hexagon Tool, albeit an earlier version. I own a Hexagon Tool as well. The one you have has the "D" -style carb pads. The one that Bruce and I have has the more traditional shaped style for Holley 94 carbs.

I believe I read somewhere that Hexagon Tool did make one like the one you found. What has me miffed is the thread vaccuum ports on some of the runners and the crazy amount of casting flash.

Either way, great find if the price was right.

14. guffey

guffey

I think there is an answer for both the vacum ports The Miller Fords had a vacum guage in the dash and the heighth of the manifold was an issue to keep the carbs under the hood and if the manifold was milled on the bottom for height concerns then the added material might be for sealing purposes?

Moriarity likes this.
  15. banjorear

banjorear

OK, now that I look at it, it's not flash but material. You can see where it was certainly cut down at the base.

The mystery grows deeper.

16. RAY With

RAY With

Looking at the first picture that added aluminum where the vac port is or has been added. Looking at the second picture is also has the added weld at the same ports so maybe this was done so it could be used on other applications. It could also be a casting flaw and this was the factory correction on those ports. Very strange to say the least.. OK my bad!!!--Thats the same intake-Ok time for that cup of coffee but any way you look at it its weird--LOL

17. banjorear

banjorear

I thought it was flash at first as well. But if you look closely, you can see the bead.

18. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Maybe someone had a block that had been severely ported then found this intake and being an early one had too small of ports to cover the block ports and welded the outside of the manifold to make the gasket seal on that particular block? Like the old 265- chev 3duece intake trying to be used on big 327 heads? Vac leak city. Lippy

19. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Guffey...that picture means you HAVE one of those front drive Fords??
    I have only scraps of info, I think from Dees, on those motors...things like the cooler on the intake side of pump. Would love to know more about the insides of those and of the "stock" '32-4 Elgin stock car motors.

20. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

If I remember some old readings correctly, the Miller with the Bass Ackward manifold and 2 Ford carbs, presumably Model 40's or 48's, had a bit more power and speed than the ones with the 4 Miller carbs.

21. guffey

guffey

[​IMG]

I don't know much about the details as you can tell, I didn't realize that manifold was backwards, but I thought it odd to have no markings. The car has a Hexagon marked manifold on it now. It is supposed to be the one Andy Granatelli about killed himself in.

Moriarity likes this.
  22. banjorear

banjorear

OK, more details NOW! Offy motor as your avatar, a front wheel drive Miller race car and another race car next to it and what appears to be a Rolls parked on the other side.

C'Mon, man. What's the deal with your stash.

23. guffey

guffey

It is actually just a 64 dodge 330. I have been pals with Mark Moriarity for years and everything I know I learned from him.

Moriarity likes this.
  24. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Ha Ha Ha, you need to pay your tuition....

25. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

what? no wiseguy response?

26. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

just goes to show that even a blind squirrel can find an acorn sometimes

27. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

There aren't very many FWD cars that are HAMB appropriate...I think this one qualifies!
    Obviously an early design study leading up to the Ford Taurus...

28. banjorear

banjorear

Maybe Ford should re-issue the Miller race car. May do better sales wise than the GT-40's.

Those Millers were simply beautiful.

29. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

How many are still around?? The Granatelli one is fairly well known and was flogged for many years. I think it is the reason the Novi engine had an early Ford bolt circle (Yo! Easy engine swap for your Ford!).
    I would really like to find out more about the original 1935 race engines, as well as the '33-4 stock racing engines. What were Ford's speed secrets for the earliest racing flatheads??

30. guffey

guffey

Granatelli eventually ended up with 3 of the Miller Fords. Out of the 10 initally ordered, only 4 or 5 were completed in time to be at Indianapolis in 1935 from what I read. Of the cars Granatelli had 1 is this one, 1 at Zakaris Garage, and 1 at the IMS museum.

Moriarity likes this.