Register now to get rid of these ads!

1953 Ford Convertible - update on earlier thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by vendettaautofab, Jun 5, 2009.

1. vendettaautofab

vendettaautofab
    Member Emeritus

Figured I would give an update...

While back I posted a thread asking about a IFS, Must II set up for a 53 Ford. There are limited options out there. Customer wanted MUST II, and was not interested in spending the money on Jamco stuff... he wanted all new. Long story short, he is 68 years old and had stock, original or restored 53 / 54 Fords since highschool, and still has his first one. He now wants something updated, with new drivetrain and suspension. Simple, practical, and reliable, that he can get in with his wife and hit the key. No real out of the box thinking, just straight forward.

I ended up getting in touch with Jim Weimer Rod Garage, we are a dealer for and installed one of there front ends....

I have ALOT of pics of this all, and the end result, stance, etc... but it may be a bit to "street rod" for some on here cause there is some radials, ididit steering, new shiney parts etc:eek: But I can post if there is enough interest.

HERES THE OLD THREAD, and heres how it worked out....
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=270921

before and after

Attached Files:

• 532.jpg
      532.jpg
      File size:
      141.3 KB
      Views:
    • 531.jpg
      531.jpg
      File size:
      187.5 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2009
  2. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

great work! I'm sure it was a lot of work, but it turned out very well. I am currently updating a 53 Ford convertible as well, but keeping the stock suspension with Jamco coils and disc brake kit - all their parts fit perfect so far, but the car is far from being on the road for a true test.

What engine and trans combo did you use in your customer's convert?

Attached Files:

3. vendettaautofab

vendettaautofab
    Member Emeritus

Thanks for the kind words...

302 / C4 enigne and trans

Like I said, Jamco makes a good product, but this guy, who is well known around here for restored, original cars, wanted a completely new suspension front and rear, with all new drive train and mechanicals top to bottom, front to rear.

4. vendettaautofab

vendettaautofab
    Member Emeritus

heres some more pics of the morning it left... its due back after paint and interior for exhaust....

Attached Files:

• 533.jpg
      533.jpg
      File size:
      138.4 KB
      Views:
    • 534.jpg
      534.jpg
      File size:
      180.8 KB
      Views:

5. rick finch

rick finch

No drama...the customer wants a comfortable & safe driver, you are accommodating him. Nice work, I'd like see it in paint.

6. missysdad1

missysdad1

I'm also looking for a modern and reliable front end for my '52 Victoria. I've explored Jammer's offerings and those of Fatman Fabrications, but am not sold on either approach.

I already have a nice street rod with a MII front end and like it very much, so I'm more disposed towards the MII than the Jammer balljoint conversion. I'd like to see more of what you did on this customer's car as well as some specifics on source, part number and pricing info on the parts, if it's available.

I know that's a lot to ask, but since you offered... :rolleyes:

BTW: I don't think safe, modern hard parts like column supports, universal joints and radial tires are disqualified from use on a "traditional" car as far as HAMBers are concerned. It's the high tech "billet bling" that's the real turnoff, IMHO. I'm all for safety and good engineering. A few minutes with a can of semi-flat black Krylon will fix the appearance. :D

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 6, 2009
  7. vendettaautofab

vendettaautofab
    Member Emeritus

Thanks for your interest, I will try to sit down this evening and get more pictures loaded, and get them up on here.

I can sell you all you need to do just as I did here. Price is very competative and Jim Weimers stuff is well built and engineered.

Thanks again!