Register now to get rid of these ads!

Looking for a thread (cars with 9" rear)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by PAPASMURF, Jun 1, 2009.

1. PAPASMURF

PAPASMURF

There was a thread with a link to what cars had a 9" rear end and I cant find it for the life of me. Help a brother out. Thanks.

2. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

do not know thread title either-lots of info somewhere here. Online try: dfwmotorsport.com Ford 9 inch rearends

3. Bettlejuice

Bettlejuice
    from WV

JUST REMEMBER, lots of the cars that might have 9ers also might have 8ers... The socket test is the easiest way I know to check. Don't wanna get screwed by either a shady or stupid seller!

4. 61TBird

61TBird

Here's one,read post #4,it will give you the Axle code off the Data plate for the "61-'66 Thunderbird 9" rear.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=363662

5. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

What are you planning to use it for and what width do you need ? Inside drum to drum measurement in inches .

6. PAPASMURF

PAPASMURF

At least 57" flange to flange. It is going in a fenderless truck with a 454, has to handle about 500 hp so I need the 9" the 8" will not cut it. Trying to get a list so I can head out to pick n pull and find something to start building up. Going with a new housing is just too much for me right now since I just had a kid.

7. 29NashRod

29NashRod
    from Portland

Here's a page with some good 9" info. I've had a lot of success find 9" in junk yards, but you have to know what you're looking for. There are so many different types of 9's out there. I'd start by looking in 70's trucks and vans, especially since you want a rather wide housing. You're also more likely to find 31 spline axles, as well as reinforced 3rd members. (You want 4 spider gears, not two, and there's a few different options for housings.)

Also, look on the tag. On the second line, Ford put the gear ratio. If there's an "L" in place of the decimal, it's a limited slip. (i.e. 3L50, 2L75, etc.)

Good luck!

http://www.kevinstang.com/Ninecase.htm