Welcome to the THE H.A.M.B. forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   THE H.A.M.B. > General Discussion > The Hokey Ass Message Board

Old 05-09-2009, 11:58 PM   #1
xxllmm4@hotmail.com
FNG

Default Kendig Carburetors... Need some help

Hey everyone,

I have 2 brand new vintage Kendig race carburetors in the box with stickers no less! I am wanting to install one on my blown SBC and was wondering if anyone had any experience using them. I'm mostly concerned about the idle speed. I'm looking for around 800 RPM's its a custom twin m90 supercharged Chevy 383.

So before I make them non virgins I would like to know if they can be idled down that low. There is so little information on these I would love to here anything you got!

I know Kendig sold the design, or re design to Predator and in a lot of ways they are the same, the Kendig just looks like a much better put together version.

Thanks
Jordon
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 01:19 PM   #2
xxllmm4@hotmail.com
FNG

Default Re: Kendig Carburetors... Need some help

I just took one apart to get a better feel for it, it looks like there the gaps around the air doors are larger then on the Predator I would guess the air leaking past the air doors is what makes them idle so high. I wonder if some rubber or leather gaskets could be made to tighten up the carb and make it seal better?
Old 05-10-2009, 07:12 PM   #3
twinturbo496
Grenade Inspector

Where in Oregon?

Did you see my 46 ford?
Old 05-10-2009, 07:19 PM   #4
twinturbo496
Grenade Inspector

On the three predators I had, the air door gaps all were different, swapping parts around really didn't seem to improve the gaps. Basic problem is seemed to be the square design. I considered taking a dominator base plate and making a "square to four round" spacer so that it would seal better, but instead I just put on a pair of 750 AFB's and now it idles much better than it ever did with the predators. After about 2000 miles, I can say that the predator's had better throttle response, but not as good on fuel economy.
Old 05-14-2009, 12:58 AM   #5
xxllmm4@hotmail.com
FNG

Thanks for the info, i'm in the big city of Cornelius. I just did a lot of work on my Predator, polishing all pivot points including the fuel cam. Tightening the air door gaps, silicone on the backfire flaps to prevent air leaks, blocking off the end fuel holes on the spray bar ect. An air straightener in the air cleaner adapter. Its supposed to make them run a lot more consistent on the street.

Jordon
Old 05-14-2009, 08:03 AM   #6
32v

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxllmm4@hotmail.com View Post
I just took one apart to get a better feel for it, it looks like there the gaps around the air doors are larger then on the Predator I would guess the air leaking past the air doors is what makes them idle so high. I wonder if some rubber or leather gaskets could be made to tighten up the carb and make it seal better?
i ran apair on a blown small blk hugh idle was a problem ,so i removed the doors and peened them along the edges to strecth them filed for a good fitand reinstalled with locktite . i would install doors and hold up to light to check for gaps it took a few tries
wayne
Old 07-01-2009, 06:23 PM   #7
apound

I know a man who worked for Kendig back in the early days. PM your e-mail address to me if you want and I will forward it to him. He really knows alot about Kendig carbs. If you will look at the photo in the instruction booklet that came with your carb you will see a picture of the engine that was in my Comet back then.
Old 07-01-2009, 06:24 PM   #8
apound

This Comet
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	warehouse_007.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	187.5 KB
ID:	697216  
Old 08-15-2010, 03:48 AM   #9
dutchman
FNG

Have a study of the Kendig in Freepatentsonline. The whole description of how they function is described in detail.
Old 06-28-2011, 01:31 PM   #10
fordsgalore
FNG

Jordan, do you still have that Kendig? Would one be for sale?
Ken