Register now to get rid of these ads!

Zip Water Pump Riser

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bib Overalls, Apr 29, 2009.

1. I saw several cars at the LSRU with Zip water pump risers. All the Zip risers that I see advertised have alternator and A/C pump brackets. But these were simply basic risers with out the brackets.

Does anyone know if the Zip riser is available without the alternator and A/C brackets or if the ones I saw were modified?

Most were running a small import alternator on the lower left side. Very clean if not completely traditional set up.

2. squirrel

squirrel

you probably saw old ones?

3. No answer to this Q, but I suck! I just came across a note that you had that pitman and I spaced off sending coin out.............I still suck.

4. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

Just my 2 cents ... :)

But I have 6 or 7 ZIP pumps. There are 3 or 4 different generations of them. I think I have at least one of each. :eek:

First generation was rounded and cast iron
    Second generation was almost exactly like the first but in Aluminum
    Third generation was a complete redo and the water pump cavity is more shallow.
    Fourth and last ... ALL the improvements made into one.

Aluminum, shallow cavity and more pleasing to the eye.

ALL of mine came with the A/C and alternator mount

I believe the one you saw were modified ... like the one on my roadster is.

[​IMG]

I did not remove the brackets on the one for my 3W ...

[​IMG]

I always upgrade the air-bleed off valve with one from General Motors ...

Part number # 10070107

[​IMG]

5. Fogger

Fogger

I've been using the Snow White water pump riser. The ones I have don't have the brackets for the alternator and AC pump. They use a very heavy duty German Opel pump, big bearings and shaft. Check out their web site they're in Calif. The only modification I had to make was removing some of the fins on the back side that hit the Chevy intake manifold. The FOGGER

6. rexrogers

rexrogers

Thanks for the bleeder #

7. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

I had forgot about the Snow White ones ... :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Kits are based on a standard 1900 cc German Opal Water Pump. ...
    I never used one of them because of the Opel water pump. I always figured I could get a 6 cylinder Chevrolet water pump
    ( like the ZIP's use )
    @ almost any parts store. Figured a Opal one MIGHT be a little harder to find :eek:

8. Thanks guys. A lot of good info to digest.

9. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Im probably going to need one of these..to run mechanical fan on my A..
    how pricy are they?
    any HAMB vendors carry them?
    Not something you see every day at the local swap meet..or craigslist..or hell for that matter even on this forums classifieds

10. mow too much

mow too much

I am going to use one on my 35 Ford pickup, I cut the A/C brackets off with a sawsall, this is the third one I have used, I bought it on Evil-Bay for 49.00:D and it had a water pump with it, after I bought it I went on the INTERNET and one of those clearing houses had them for 25.00:eek:, they normally cost 225.00. I have had good luck with mine. had one on a 35 coupe and 29 roadster, puts the fan up to the top of the radiator.

11. Deuce Roadster told me about the zips riser and I have one on my 32 pickuo,,it gets the engine driven fan in the proper location for cooling,,,I can sit in traffic all day and the truck runs cool,,,

Great product. HRP

Last edited: May 12, 2009
  12. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

What internet clearing house had em for $25?:eek:

13. JRODHOTROD

JRODHOTROD
    from Manor, TX

cant say that I have seen them before. Are they for clearance purposes only or do they offer other benifits?

14. Anyone ever do a before and after with the pump risers?

Just curious.

My Big Ol Buick has a fairly low pump hub center, but it cools well with 17" fan.

15. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

The ZIPS raises the fan centerline 5 and 1/2 inches ... so a larger mechanical fan can be used. On Model A's and 32 Fords ... a SBC sits so low in the chassis ... anything over about a 13 inch fan will hit the lower radiator hose :mad:

I can run a 18 inch mechanical on my 32's with a ZIPS. The ZIPS uses standard SBC short water pump pulleys ... because it is the same overall lenght as a short SBC water pump.

My 430 Horsepower SBC runs 180 ... ( right on the 180 thermostat ) ... all the time. Heavy traffic ... stop and go lines at the events ... whatever.

Disclaimer : I do have a fan shroud, a clutch fan with 6 blades and a optional cooling type 25 vent hood :D

16. mow too much

mow too much

Von Rigg, This was around Dec. not sure, I went on the other day because the Zips site has the instruction sheet because mine didn't have the inst. and I wanted the alt. bracket pattern thats in it, and I couldn't find that, wound up using the old reliable cardboard.

17. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Just my luck..day late..dollar short...SOAB!

well if anyone on here sees this and wants to get rid of one..(not for the rediculous price of $250!) than im interested
    Im going to be real bummed out if i have to go electric..not the look i want or reliablity i want to deal with.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2009
  18. mow too much

mow too much

Fink, I went on the I-net, on Craigs list in Grand Rapids a guy has one for 150.00 with pump, listing date is 4-40-09

19. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

thanks I'll check it out..Grand rapids michigan?

thanks Man..I found it..I'll be callin' him thanks for lookin out for me

20. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Got it!
    you rule!

21. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Let me warn you about the snow white design. if you wan to run a factory GM fan, do you not that route unless you want to do some custom work as the snow white uses a metric pattern pulley (not GM compatible) that is custom to it.. I did on the sedan 73roundlight has now (my old ride). I also have two zips units and it looks like you can savely remove the brackets

here is snow white
    [​IMG]

I have several angles on my website (side, top, front and 3/4 angles) as i had to do alot of engineering to work with the 6 carbs..

[​IMG]

you can see where it places the fan in the 29 radiator.. (GM mades at least two sizes of factory steel fans), this is the smaller of the two
    [​IMG]

22. Gotcha on the clearance bit.
    I was thinking more along the lines of better cooling after the move.

Looks like my BB Buick engine sits about the same height as your Chevy.
    No pics available of the front pulley etc.

Here's a view from the front of the 31 on 32 rails roadster.
    [​IMG]

15" Hayden fan with two V-belts.

The 32 is set the same and has a 17" Hayden fan, but only one V-belt due to radiator/crossmember clearance considerations.

Looks like a 17" Hayden fan will fit ok in the 31.

Too bad the SBCs don't have a front distributor - or adapter.
    That would allow them to sit a little further back as my Buicks do.

The 32's right side head is about 1/4" forward of the flat 32 firewall and the 31 sits in a 4" firewall recess.
    Interesting part is, both engines sit in the same fore and aft location on both 32 frames.
    Height is the same.
    The 32 engine sits 1" to the right, the 31 sits on center.
    (Didn't need as much header/steering clearance in the 32 as originally thought.)

Here's a pic that sorta shows engine height.
    [​IMG]

Fwiw, the Walker radiator in the 32 is the one for SBC.

As you said, the 17" fan is fairly close to the lower hose (1") but no probs so far....

Last edited: May 1, 2009
  23. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Glad I ran across this thread! I've been eyeballing my '31 Hiboy on '32 rails with sbc (all Brookville rolling chassis), trying to figure a way out of an electric fan. Didn't want the electric for both the appearance and the fact that I have a small chrome alternator I want to use that only puts out 45 amps, which wouldn't be enough to carry both headlights and fan if cruising at night in hot weather in town.
    Now I gotta start looking around for more info and availability.
    Dave

24. Hot Rod Bob

Hot Rod Bob
    from T-ville Ky

I got the Zips on my A and its worked great!!!

25. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

cool glad to hear this..
    the one i just got, the guy told me it was a cast iron one..with a new 235 - 6 pump in it..is yours the aluminum one or the cast iron one..when did they change from CI to Alm?

26. Hot Rod Bob

Hot Rod Bob
    from T-ville Ky

Mine is aluminum , it takes a 6cyl chevy pump between 63-75. I dont know when they changed from CI to Alm.Good luck with it.

27. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

ahh ok..maybe some one else will chime in and let me know..I dont have it yet so Im just going by what the guy told me

28. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Just did a search with no success on finding a web site on the zip water pump riser.
    Anybody got a link?
    Dave

29. Ed D

Ed D

For those that want to run the ZIP's pump riser there is and aluminum water pump available. I got one from Auto Zone (not pimping their stuff, just were I got mine) part number BWP-386HDA $63.99 lifetime warranty. its kinda semi polished and has the cavitation plate already on the impeller. I running A ZIP's riser also, but I need my butt in gear to actually get it running. Later Ed

sacminiwheels likes this.
  30. maniac

maniac