Register now to get rid of these ads!

Jaguar rear end info

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HotRodrookie, Feb 10, 2009.

1. HotRodrookie

HotRodrookie
    from nor cal

I picked up a pretty nice jag irs rear end at picknpull last week, it came out of a 77 xjs with a v12. it looked cool and had 3.30 gears with posi so i thought i might as well snag it. I was think about putting it into a 59 chevy pickup but was wondering if anybody on here has done something similar. Id want to use it with the cage and have it be removable so im guessing id have back half the truck to make it fit. Any info would be great, thanks.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. SS350Sport

SS350Sport
    from Utah

I have a buddy that put one in a 56 Chev PU. I will scrounge up some pics and post them.

3. Did you get the trailing arms and the mounts too? Unless you run big wheels your truck will be really low. Speed bump-pan banging low. Don't ask me how I know. I've got 1 1/2" raising blocks between my Jag rear and the frame on my Hup and I'm always dragging the trailer hitch in and out of driveways.

4. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

5. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

How about that?
    A reverse zee-ing of the frame may be necessary to prevent the car/truck from being too low.

6. aldixie

aldixie

I put one in a 50 F1 pickup, got rid of the cage and used a custom crossmember that I bought from Pop browns in the UK.

7. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

I will say this... the Buick is low...

[​IMG]

But it rides nice & handles good.

8. HotRodrookie

HotRodrookie
    from nor cal

That would be great, thanks SS.

9. HotRodrookie

HotRodrookie
    from nor cal

Sorry i didnt have them in the pics but it does have the trailing arms connected to it in the front and i do have all four mounting brackets. My big concern was wherre to mount the cage so the ride hieght would sit level with the front. At first i was thinking I would have to C notch the frame normally to set the differential at the same hieght as it is now but now that I think about it maybe I can make mounting brackets that hang off the sides and below my frame so the whole cage bolts directly undernieth the frame without cutting it or "reverse" c notching. Any suggestions?

10. flatblackindustries

flatblackindustries
    from Ogden, UT

I have one mocked up in a 52 AD chevy pickup project.
    Perfect width and height for what we are going after with the truck.
    I also am doing like ZMAN and removing the cage and making a top bracket to hang it. It will also require a custom bottom perch and the trailing arms are just about nats ass to the same width as the frame rails so attaching those should be a snap.
    Using all four C/O shocks (undertermined weight ratings yet) the running boards will sit about 4 or 5 inches from the ground.

11. Speedway used to sell a mounting kit to eliminate the tin housing, but that was back in the 80's when Jag IRS was the hot setup in the Street Rod world.
    You might check if they still offer it.

12. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

Got pics?

13. flatblackindustries

flatblackindustries
    from Ogden, UT

Let me dig around when I get home and see if I have any.
    If not, I'll take some. The rear I am using is out of an 83-84 v12 I believe which I have heard has slightly less problems w/ seals and such than the earlier ones althought they look almost identical.
    I have seen folks use two different types of mounts. One mounts a plate & gussets with bushings to the diff via the four bolts. That then mounts to a solid mount cross bar to the frame rails. (so the whole rear can drop out for service.
    Another version in a solid mount via to the cross bar via the bolts. Then the bar goes to gussets & bushings on the frame rails for removability. Either way you can drop the rear out for any type pf service.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2009
  14. raffman

raffman

What is one of these units worth? There is one for sale locally I'm thinking about picking up for a future build. I understand they have a Dana center section???

15. Weasel

Weasel

Two great sources are Snow White in Fresno, CA and Curt Hamilton in Van Nuys, CA - these guys have been working with these and mounting them since the '60s.

Current market around $200-$400 depending on ratio and posi (Powrlok). Most later XJs had 2.88:1. Earlier models had 3.07, 3.31, 3.54 and 3.77. Two widths are common 56" and 61 3/4". 1987 and earlier are the ones you want.

16. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

There are a couple of kits available, but they're $400 or better...

$200 max to me... and that's an XJ12 unit. I can usually find a whole car for a few hundred bucks...

17. SS350Sport

SS350Sport
    from Utah

Here are the pics I promised. It's on a 56 Chev step side.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. HotRodrookie

HotRodrookie
    from nor cal

Sweet setup. I can see why not using the cage would be nice so you could tuck the differential up in between the frame rails. Do happen to know how the stance of the truck is with the bed on it? It looks like it would be really low Thanks for the pics SS

19. flatoz

flatoz

their a very common rear end in Australia

go to

www.ozrodders.com

do a search for Jag rear end and their is a ton of information, most people make mounts for them out of the cage, so you will see a few different designs that might help you

20. SS350Sport

SS350Sport
    from Utah

Here are some with the truck almost complete.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. captain scarlet

captain scarlet
    from Detroit

I have a lot of information on Jag IRS pm me if you would like me to email it to you:D

22. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Why not post it here?

23. captain scarlet

captain scarlet
    from Detroit

I would but it is old magazine articles. If any one wants it I can email it out. 20 pages

24. musicrodder

musicrodder
    from Upstate NY

I have one in a model T using the stock Jaguar cage. It's mounted on the front side of the cage to the frame rails (widened to match stock i.r.s. width), top side of cage, and at the trailing arm locations via rear radius rods. Works good and looks nice also. At some point, I might let it out of its cage and narrow it.

25. HotRodrookie

HotRodrookie
    from nor cal

Thanks for the body pics SS, that truck really has the stance im looking for.

26. HotRodrookie

HotRodrookie
    from nor cal

I want to run the cage in my truck too, so Ill have to branch off some mounting points. Do you have any pics of your setup?

27. Hey there, take a look at the jag rear in my 53 international. If you get rid of cage there is one real important thing you must do ! contact me ,cornbinder 13.Safety issue !!!

28. Adriatic Machine

Adriatic Machine

fyi i read somewhere the later one's (80's?) had vented rotors and dual/multi piston calipers, better stoppage

29. HotRodrookie

HotRodrookie
    from nor cal

I plan on using the cage but even so, whats the real important thing you must do if you dont?

I was wondering about rebuild parts for the thing too, being on a low budget I just want to clean it up and only replace and fix the neccesities, could anyone tell me what to replace and where to find parts?