Register now to get rid of these ads!

Had a little fun today!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JC_32, Jan 11, 2009.

1. JC_32

JC_32

Well, today I finally got a chance to see what kind of deal I got on an chevy 230 inline 6 I picked up off CL for $100 delivered....The guy said it ran, but you know how that usually goes. The motor didn't have any oil in it so I wasn't hoping for the best outcome.

Anyways, I built a motor stand for it.
    [​IMG]

And mounted it.[​IMG]

We hooked it up to a battery and ran a fuel line from a gas can to the fuel pump and she fired up immediately. I didn't let her run that long, but she ran long enough to know that she sounded great and idled nicely.....

Next time I start her, she should be sitting nicely in her new home...53 HT

But first, it's clean-up time

More to come...

Last edited: Jan 31, 2009
  2. JC_32

JC_32

Well, I got the 6 cleaned up
    [​IMG]

Now that it's ready for the 53 it's time to put it in.

Car goes up to drain the radiator and loosen the bolts underneath
    [​IMG]

Off goes the hood
    [​IMG]

Out goes the 400
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Since the 53 has a Nova clip, we needed to figure out the motor mounts.
    The way the 400 was installed was a bit hokey. The motor mounts were welded 1/2 on the sub frame and 1/2 off.. It seemed to me (I'm no car expert) that the legs on the clip were to long when they installed it causing this problem...Just a guess though.

For clearance of the steering arm the 6 had to be raised quite a bit off the frame. So we built some mounts. The mounts ended up being different heights b/c of the position they needed to be in on the frame for the motor to sit correctly in the car.
    So, for a little mock-up, to figure out the mounts...
    [​IMG]

Once we figured out the lower mounts, we built them,
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Once the mounts were welded in, we got the 6 in.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now it's time to fab up the one into two exhaust, so I can run them straight to the lakes that will be mounted...

More to come........

3. chevyshack

chevyshack

Man!! You work fast. I gota find a new job. I have no time to work on my junk. Looks great.

4. ol'skool29

ol'skool29

thats a cool engine swap, the 53 looks awesome.

5. Nice car and engine both! No patience. Sometimes, that is a very good thing!

Glad to see the belly-button engine out and something kool replacing it!

6. MyEvilTwin

MyEvilTwin

That is cool. It is not often someone goes through the effort to swap an inliner in place of a V8.
    It almost seems a little humorous to me that the car was a I6, then got the subframe swap with the V8.
    You get the car and realize the I6 is actually cooler. Now you have to modify the V8 frame section/mounts etc.. to accommodate a I6.

Kinda comes back full circle-almost.

Well done.

7. JC_32

JC_32

It is funny how that works..... I just like low and slow and obnoxiously loud......with this motor and the lakes I should be able to hit the nail on the head....

patrick66
    It sure looks good sitting in the 53. The only way it would go in with the proper clearances was to incline the motor from front to rear. It kinda has the f' you look to it sitting in there...lol Kind of hard to capture that with the phone camera????

Thanks chevyshack and ol'skool29 I appreciate it.

I also wanted to thank Squirrel for the help with the casting numbers...
    He put together a great tech on reading them and with his help I nailed down exactly what I had..Thanks Squirrel...

8. Fucking great!!!!!

Awesome!!!!

Keep us posted.

BloodyKnuckles

9. JC_32

JC_32

Thinking about it, I'm going to hook up the power steering to the 230 l6 but need to find the right bracket and the pulley for it..Anyone have one they want to sell or can anyone point me in the right direction? I found one on Ebay, but I guess I'm not ready to throw down 2 bills for it....Shit, I'll go to a yard first.... PM me if you got one...

10. chaddilac

chaddilac

That's an awesome deal!! I can't believe no one posted after the very first post back on the 11th??? Looks great!!!

11. thewishartkid

thewishartkid

Damn Fine Job!I'm Impressed.

12. rick finch

rick finch

"Babies" back home where it belongs!;) What a "switch", I do like you're style my man!:cool:

13. JC_32

JC_32

no love bro....no love....
    but, I'm starting to feel some now...lol

Thanks rick finch, I appreciate it...

Went to the pick-n-pull today and scored a power steering bracket set-up out of an old ice cream van...

Got the front part of the exhaust made today. The exhaust studs are so bad off, I'm going to have to try to twist them out of there (there soaking now) or drill them out. Other than that, just some wiring to hook up, and other odds and ends before we are ready to fire her up...Sorry no pics today....
    I'll be back....

14. JC_32

JC_32

Well, I got her running last night. I still need to mount the lakes and build/run the exhaust to them. I did build the 1 into 2 collector that is mounted to the exhaust manifold, and put the hood back on. Right now she sounds like an uncapped 6 banger.....lol but....she is running and I'm digging her with the hood off for now.

Here are some pics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Man, nice job, looking great. That is a sweet looking car, nice and simple and well done.

16. Midwest Rodder

Midwest Rodder

Car looks great, nice engine swap.

17. Mr Haney

Mr Haney

I LOVE that car.....

Last edited: Feb 5, 2009
  18. RAG66

RAG66
    from WASHINGTON

Thanks to this guy I-6's will be more expensive than rockstar autographs! :D No really though that is some great paint & detail on the motor with a good install. How could you not like it? :cool:

19. cavistyle

cavistyle
    from baltimore

That car is awesome.. the I6 looks cool but i dunno about replacing a v8 for it.. none the less looks good nice work

20. JC_32

JC_32

Thanks for the comments....

cavistyle, a guy I know was giving me shit about the same thing. He couldn't understand why I would want to remove a v8 for an l6. After we went back and forth about it, he told me to check out his bike....His bike was a stock road king with some chrome upgrades and of course he had those christmas tree neon lights on it.......

Next, i'll be mounting the lakes...I'll be back with more pics soon....

21. hoggyrubber

hoggyrubber

the 230 is lookin good! i have done that several times. on my 63 c10 out came the 327, in went the 292. i much prefer a inline to service, maintain, or rebuild. are the 250 brackets $200???? i know the 292 ones are pretty high. you could prob find a whole engine for the price of a bracket. i got a 292 with one a year or so ago and sold it on ebay. again, nice lookin six,

22. choppintops

choppintops
    BANNED

23. That 230/250 chevy engine is one helluva engine for a 50s chevy......it'll run forever and give good mileage and power.....all good shit, mon. ....and as was said earlier, it's easy to work on too.

24. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is one sweet looking ride. Thanks for showing.

25. JC_32

JC_32

I saw a guy on ebay trying to get that for a set? I've seen them for a little less but I would rather figure out how to build something that would work than spend that much. I ended up going to a local yard and got lucky and found a set. This was a huge yard with only 3 l6's in the whole yard. The brackets were laying on the ground under the car.....$15 bucks

26. I SMELL SMOKE

I SMELL SMOKE

that car is awsome!!! i love the stance!!! and you can come clean my engine up next!!!!

27. JC_32

JC_32

Rocky, I'm with ya....I'm anxious to see what kind of mpg I get with the 6. The 8 got 8...lol

I Smell Smoke, I'll get right on cleaning your motor as soon as I build that petting zoo out back....or as soon as I drink that case of hot diet apple slice,,,,,lol....
    just messing with ya man...thanks brother...

Thanks again for all the cool comments

28. JC_32

JC_32

I finally got the lakes mounted.

I ended up finishing the part of the exhaust that runs to the lakes. I had to do the moch-up on my back. Damn it suck tig welding with a foot pedal on your back...Anyways, here is a pic of what I made. Once I had it tacked up, I finished the welding on the table.
    [​IMG]

Here are a few pics of the car with the lakes mounted.
    I still am goiing to take them back off so I can sandblast them and coat them black.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

29. RichG

RichG

I wish I could hear that, I bet it sounds sweet! Nice work!