Register now to get rid of these ads!

Pontiac Tri-Power or Barry Grant Six Shooter?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by slammedchieftan, Jan 10, 2009.

1. slammedchieftan

slammedchieftan

Re building a pontiac 400 engine, really love the look of the Tri-Power set up, but most I have found need rebuilding and are still $$.. Was wondering if the barry grant triple d setup would be better. pros and cons of each. tune-ability? ease of tuning? performance?

Do any alliance members sell Barry Grant Stuff?

2. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

Buddy of mine bought the six-shooter. Didn't work and he took it off. There's a thread on here about BG standing behind his stuff. I posted my friends problem on that thread and BG PM'd me for my friend phone number and name. My buddy returned the system, BG re-worked it and the rod ran fine for about a month. Now he has the old 4 barrel back on.

I have an old 3 deuce set-up on 2 rods. Never let me down, plus it was cheaper than the six-shooter. Check with www.hotrodcarbs.com

3. draggin'GTO

draggin'GTO

Go with the OEM Pontiac stuff. Here's a '66 Tri-power.

[​IMG]

If you want an aluminum intake the '66 unit is repoped. It takes all 3 of the larger 2-barrel Rochesters

[​IMG]

Still cheaper even after a professional rebuild has been done.

Lasting value that aftermarket parts will never have.

4. M_S

M_S
    from SoCal

I ordered a BG old skool for the fordor. Worst decision I ever made. The packaging was terrible, most of the loose parts in the box had rtv all over them from the tube being crushed in shipping (poorly packed), the air cleaner covers looked like they were polished by a three year old, and if it ran anything like the 525 Demon I had I my 'bird the car would never see the road.

I returned it, fed up with BG forever, and am ordering one from Automotion (link already posted).

5. draggin'GTO

draggin'GTO

If you want a REAL Pontiac Tri-Power done right, go here:http://www.Pontiactripower.com

Mike Wasson does 'em about as right as they can be done, honest guy who does excellent work.

These can be jetted and modified for as much power as you'd ever want on the street, and set up for racing they work well too. There's one that I know of running just a tick away from the 9s in the 1/4 mile.

Jim Lehart at CVMS specializes in porting the '66 repop aluminum intakes and can build big power with the Pontiac unit if you want it:http://www.centralvirginiamachine.com/default.htm

Now you know where all the good Pontiac Tri-Power stuff really is.

6. I cant say on the BG units. but I ran the 66 Tri power set up on an a 66 gto and loved it. Easy to adjust and tune, rebuild. ( mechanical secondary) Most stuff is available or EASY EASY to make/addapt. The hardest part to come up with is the very special tri-power only end carbs. (about like hens teeth.) Speedway has a kit to change just about any pair of rochester carbs into the special end carbs, its item # 91011588. about $400 with the linkage. search the site for "tri power"
    The original or reproduction stuff, linkages, lines, yellow return springs, fittings, throttle cable & clamp, BLA BLA BLA .... can get nuts money wise for a concourse pontiac resoration but i wouldn't think thats what your after and you dont really need that stuff to run it.
    That tv show GEARS just aired a show over the holidays featuring this speedway tri-power kit.

7. slammedchieftan

slammedchieftan

WOW! No defenders of the Barry Grant stuff.

8. LUX BLUE

LUX BLUE
    Alliance Vendor
    from AUSTIN,TX

Buy and build the O.E. Tri power set up. You won't regret it.

The Rochester 2G is about the easiest Carb ever built to understand and tune for power.

seriously. it's worth every cent.

9. dragrcr50

dragrcr50

for what its worth i did a barry grant 4 demon set up on a small block chevy on a gold 29 sedan (rod action in feb ) it works great and did from the git go. go figure.........

10. NITRONOVA

NITRONOVA

If you have trouble with the Barry Grant carbs they will insist it is everything else with the car/engine etc. I went through 2 carbs on my 50 454 GMC. First carb had metal debris in the carb and caused an underhood fire! Second carb had "tumbling shot" wedged into the fuel port opening. This carb as I later found out was not the 725 I ordered it was returned as a 650....They said when I complained ..."Oh it will be fine"! I Retuned and recurved the distributer(sent out),and tuned till I was blue in the face for a horrible stumble when pushed WOT. I finaly removed and put a "junk" thermo quad on and it runs like a raped ape. This spring is going on a factory vette tripower.(NEW REpop holleys).
    BG customer service sucks!

11. HotRod33

HotRod33

wow, I was considering buying a sixshooter for a sbf but I guess I will save some money and just run a four barrel..........thanks for the info.....

12. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

My buddy has one on his car (not hamb freindly SBC) and Loves it and he drives the snot out of the car. I picked up one for my wifes car but it's a small block ford one. I didn't end up using it because we went with a blower. I have to say it's a great looking set-up, packed well and the only thing I didn't dig was the look of the High tech aircleaner and the price:D .
    I have seen a few other guy running around with them too? Have they changed anything from when they first came out?

13. Stu_Norman

Stu_Norman
    from Wisconsin

OK, I have a 1963 tripower on a 421. It works well, the Rochester 2CG is simple........BUT........the outer carbs are getting increasingly hard to find these days. If you find two in great shape, expect to pay through the nose for them.

As an alternative, why not go with the Edelbrock P-65 2x4 setup? It works very well, still has great visual impact and the carbs are available everywhere. In the long run it will probably be less expensive than the stock system or the BG.

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_new/mc/manifolds/pontiac/multiple_carbs.shtml

14. I have the original Quadrajet on the GTO it makes the same HP as the tripower and is easyer to tune.

15. NITRONOVA

NITRONOVA

My earlier post regarding the barrygrant on my 454.....I can give better details as to the problems with the last carb they sent. After tuning till I was blue in the face I had the Secondaries stick wide open!!!!These are Vacuum operated. They told me my throttle linkage must be set up wrong!!!!...they insisted on that. I asked how is that possible on a vacuum secondary??? Also I informed them of ALOT of play in the secondary shaft...which they felt was normal!!!! I removed the carb and found The following: #1 Play in primary shaft bore/shaft
    #2 ALOT of play in secondary bore/shaft
    #3 Vacuum secondary appears to allow considerable travel before spring is activated
    #4 And of Big note to the stumble problem I found with the carb adjusted to run the best....The two idle transfer slots were completely different as to how much was uncovered side to side on the primaries...this indicates the crooked primary shaft bore centerline that i measured about .025" difference in depth at the butterflies!

16. griffin533

griffin533
    from Bronson Fl

Think Barry Grant is bad Try Charlie Price and the Wicked Witch of Florida if you really want a hosing Unfortunately I just found this site a little late as Im dealing with that moron as we speak.

17. allstarderrick

allstarderrick

I have a customer's vehicle with a Six Shooter on it, nothing but problems. After it's photoshoot it's coming off.

18. dashman

dashman
    from Viroqua WI

I agree with draggin'GTO, Mike Wasson is the guy.

I've worked together with Mike on some projects in the past and more is lined up for the future. He really knows his stuff, and he's a super nice guy. Mike's Tri Power video is excellent, it applies to many different applications, and is a must have!

Dashman's Hot Rod & Speed Parts

www.dashman.net

Attached Files:

19. brad chevy

brad chevy

Go with the original Pontiac setup,The Barry Grant stuff used to be good,but as all small builders that get to big for their britches quality goes away and its all about the amount of orders and money.