Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Progress on my coupe - building a rotisserie.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kevin Lee, Dec 3, 2008.

1. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

I don't think putting a car like this on a rotisserie is normal, but at this point the body and frame are inseparable (welded together) and I have so much work left to do on the sheet metal that it made more sense than jack stands.

First is a shot of the car in it's latest mock-up stage. COS gave a perfect roof filler in the form of a '54 Cadillac decklid. The transition from front to back is perfect for my roof. You'll see more as I weld it in place.

Attached Files:

2. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

You welded the body to the frame? Is that normal? Man, maybe I even more to learn than I thought.

3. Evil in its lair.

4. Unibody, go read up on Metalshapes roadster or the Khougaz cars

5. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

I got pretty lucky and was able to scab nearly all of the materials for this. It was being thrown out for scrap and all I had to do was slice up the big tubing for the pivots, build the mounts for the frame/body, and weld it all together.

Had to find casters too. The "smart shoppaz" might recognize them.

So the body and frame are now stripped as far down as possible and mounted on the rotisserie. This isn't really a how to. I was too busy to take pics and if you can't just look at it and figure it out then I can't help you. :)

Attached Files:

6. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

I thought frame meant it wasn't a unibody. I know what a unibody is. If you have a frame, why weld the body to it? Why not just bolt it on?

Looks definitely cool. Not trying to question the intent, just wondering for my own sake.

7. Ah yes, smart shoppaz!

8. Same idea, the frame becomes part of the body and vice versa.

9. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

I wouldn't say it's normal, but definitely an option. I got the idea from metalshapes' (Alex) roadster. The subfloor was completely cut away and the panels welded directly to the frame. You sit between the frame rails. He's tall, I'm tall, it worked great for him so that's what I did.

Don't know if the Khougaz roadster is technically unibody, but it is welded to the frame at the cowl at least.

10. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

It was a matter of making a stiff chassis and using the room between the framerails to sit. When you're tall you sometimes look like a dork poking out of the top of a roadster. I see what you are saying, but seriously if you ever saw Alex's car in person your questions would be answered.

11. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Here's another pic. You can see the rear kickup and cross member. It kind of looks like a mess right now. Made from a couple of pieces of A frame, some round tubing and plate. Once it's completely welded it will make more sense.

Attached Files:

12. NoSurf

NoSurf

I think I see an oil spot on your driveway.....

13. metalshapes

metalshapes

Early Unibody Cars had frames... Kinda.

Look under a Early Falcon or Cortina..
    ( its just that they are made out of thin steel boxsections, and the front half is usually not connected to the rear )

Welding it on gave me the opportunity to ellininate all Crossmembers except the ones that the Buggy Springs bolt to.
    And I was able to weld the Floor to the underside of the 'Rails.
    ( instead of on top of the lower Body braces )
    That gave me at least 7" more space in the Car, Vertically...

Is it a true Unibody?

I dont know...

Its one piece, so it seemed like a logical way to describe it...

Back to Kevin's Car.

One of my Favorite builds on the HAMB, right now. :) :)

14. VanHorton

VanHorton

i love it, so perfect in every way...

15. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

And a couple more.

As I wheeled it out and stood back I noticed the quarters were sagging a bit and pushing the sheet metal away from the B pillars at the bottom. (you can see the sag in the first pic on the rotisserie) I must not have had the rear end supported very well when I tacked it to the frame. As a result there's a kink at the reveal where the door meets the quarter panel. I'm going to cut the tacks and raise the rear as much as it needs to be to line everything up correctly.

And that's the last of the pics.

Attached Files:

16. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Either way, looks badass and you obviously put some thought into it and sounds like for a good reason. Sounds like it is giving you same extra room and strength maybe.

I guess with a totally custom car built by hand, not much different to cut and grind if needed, verses unbolting to make changes as long as you don't anticipate needing to unbolt in the future anyway.

17. Kevin, think about some sort of safety strap or prop for when you have the car flipped on its side (maybe you have?). I worked around a rotissere that could work its way down if you were not carefull!

18. zach

zach
    from NE KS

Wow is all I can say. What are the rails from?

19. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Awesome Kevin!
    As a fellow tall guy, I can appreciate the direction of yer car, especially with that chop....it's still gonna be tight I bet.....he he
    That first pic rules.....looks like 1950.......

20. This going to be one hell of of a mean looking car. Keep the updates coming.

21. Bullington

Bullington
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

God damn you made my day. Totally makes sense too. I'm 6'4" with a long torso. I think this is a great idea and will emulate it with the next car I build.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2008
  22. metalshapes

metalshapes

23. hemifarris

hemifarris

Very nice, so far......Are you going to chop it? :D

24. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

The only thing I can think of is most people being afraid of the commitment? I was for a while.

I am just shy of 6'2" and this just completely opens up the inside of the car. The chop is over 8.5" and I have plenty of head room left. With the new A pillars and windshield I can see just fine out the front. The side, quarter, and back windows are right at eye level. I was thinking about the ergonomics of it as I was driving to Joplin for Thanksgiving. It's a lot like sitting a my daily driver and covering the bottom of the windows with cardboard.

Every time I look at the chop it seems a little less extreme. It really skews your perspective looking at it every day. Four inch chops look stock and sock tops look like phone booths.

25. MR. FORD

MR. FORD
    from Austin, TX

Im liking it a lot. Keep at it!

26. Lucky Burton

Lucky Burton

Kevin I like the rotisserie. Car is looking bitchin...
    Can I borrow it when your done....Lucky

27. lookin' good...I have a few plans for some "smart shopper" wheels in my shop...cool that even with that chop and your height that you are still going to be comfortable in there

28. Paul

Paul
    Editor

lookin good Kevin

do you have a way to adjust the rotisserie's pivotal axis to match the car's center of gravity?

29. Mat Thrasher

Mat Thrasher

First off the car is totally bad ass. I think it's a very logical way to gain room. Second like metalshapes said it's going to make a more ridgid platform. I did my 34 Olds like this and I'm doing my 34 PU similar. The PU cab will unbolt but I'm dropping the floor down between the rails. Here's a pic of my ghetto rotisserie I did for the Olds.
    Mat

[​IMG]

30. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

lookin good!
    wish i had made one of those to weld my tubular frame together.....lots and lots of flipping it over around all those round joints