Register now to get rid of these ads!

rust in coolant system

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hillbillyhellcat, Dec 2, 2008.

1. hillbillyhellcat

hillbillyhellcat

Bought an old car with 32,000 miles on it (not old enough for this forum) It runs great but the coolant looks to be about 30-40 years old and is rusty water..... The rad also looks pretty rusty...

What's the best way to clean the system out and nuetralize the rust and corrosion?

2. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

They make cooling system cleaners you can buy, or you can use about a gallon of vinegar to save money. Just flush it out, with clean water, VERY well when you're done...and watch for leaks. Sometimes you wind up removing rust, or metal that is thin, and eat right through the tubes. Not a problem in the enigne, but radiator tubes are pretty thin.
    After flushing, just anti freez will do to keep it PH neutral. If you're worried, use some baking soda and water to really neutralize the system. But a good flushing should be enough.

3. kma4444

kma4444

I have reall good success with using dishwasher detergent to clean cooling systems. It is a strong base and rinses out well. Doesn't hurt that it's cheap too besides if you are sneaky, you can get it while the wife's not looking and not even have to go to the store.

4. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Vinegar is your answer..... Aftermarket cleaners are junk.
    Lots of info here on this. Do a search with 'vinegar' as the word.
    After you rinse it out, use baking soda to neutralize.

5. leadsled01

leadsled01

Cool, good info.. My wifes dailey drivers antifreeze looks terrible ever year when I change it. I have tried the auto store conditioners but it didn't help. I will try the vinegar next year.