Register now to get rid of these ads!

HO-HO-HO December monthly BANGER meeting

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chris, Dec 1, 2008.

1. Happy holidays everyone! This is the start to a "hopefully" good month in my banger world! I got the "B" in my A over the weekend, and am a fuel line and some linkage away from starting it up. I now have the radiator mounted, but am looking for the perfect length belt so my generator pully will not rub the lower radiator hose. It's a long story but the short version is my block was modified with a lower water jacket (whole drivers side of the block has a plate welded over the side and the water outlet is now on the very bottom), so the generator has to stick out a bit farther than normal. Either way, hoping to have it running by next weekend.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

I have officially joined the fold! Picked up my '28 coupe this weekend, got it home and at my friend's place and hope to start on it next weekend :)

Good too see you got the new banger in you're coupe, Chris. You're car is an inspiration for mine :)

3. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

Looks good Chris.

4. Greasy64

Greasy64

Thanks for the pics. I'm down in So Cal looking to maybe but a modified B in my '31 coupe. let me/us know details about the engine. Unless you have already, then I apologize. Good luck on the start up. That is always the exciting part for me is to hear it run for the first time!

5. VNCduke

VNCduke
    from Washougal

Hey Chris, what are your plans for the A engine you took out?

6. R.Allan

R.Allan
    BANNED
    from Ca

7. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

I've been busy working on the Tudor this month so have got no further with the Weber IDA swap. I've had to relocate the front wishbone mounts and fit a torque arm because of the poor way they fit after having the T5 trans installed.
    I'll get take some photos this week for your perusal....

8. wak53

wak53
    from aus

Been busy getting my bits together got my chasis home picked up an ansen single manifold with a rebuilt 97 finaly got my home made overdrive out of my freind I will post some photos in the next couple of days I want this month to be a busy month in the shed (wife and kids permiting)
    WES

9. Stick Shift

Stick Shift
    from LENA IL

Geez these months go by fast. LOL Can't wait to hear how the B runs Chris. I love that car. :)

10. FORDY 6

FORDY 6

Looks good! What distributor are you using?

11. Wildfire

Wildfire

There is a counter-weighted, inserted A motor sitting in my garage - FINALLY! I have the head, the intake, carbs, FS distributor - she's just about ready to go back together!

I need help understanding what I have to do to the generator and starter to make them 12v, neg ground.

Some say the starter is good to go as is, others say some spacers behind the bolts or bendix or something?

What about the generator? There's a regulator from "Fun Projects" that looks like a cut-out. Will the generator produce enough for the lights and electronic ignition system?

12. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

There is a guy here in So Cal that converts the model A generator over to a 12 v alternator. If you would like to go that route, I'll get you his info.

13. 30 A coupe

30 A coupe

14. 30 A coupe

30 A coupe

Sorry, my reply above should have been posted in another discusion!!

15. No problem. It's a B block with a counter-wieghted crank, lightened flywheel, Winfield SU-1R cam, Winfield head, dual 81's, header and a Mallory distributor. Nothing extreme, but should be quite an improvement over the stocker :D

16. I'm keeping it for another A project. That engine ran excellent and never used a drop of oil! Probably a stupid mistake taking it out ;)

17. It's a Mallory from the early 30's. It is dual point, and takes the factory pop-out ignition and manual spark advance.

18. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

Hey Wildfire, I ran one of those 'Fun Project' cut-outs for a few years. Great little item and the easy way to go 12v. The problem is that the gennie still doesn't put out too many amps, so it depends on how much the electronic ignition draws.

19. SlamCouver

SlamCouver
    from Brazil, IL

Chris your Coupe looks dreamy. If you ever wanna get your hands on my B distributor just find me a mallory A and ill swap ya.

Just wired up the lights on my shitbox A-coupe yesterday so I dont have to be afraid to drive after 4 with the days getting shorter. heres a vid of it running my mallory 2 piece cap.

20. shock

shock

Hi all I've been lurking on this thread for awhile now and decided to introduce myself ........I think I'm hooked.....Last winter I built a 29 tudor
    and have been thrashing on it all summer......its pretty much stock...I laced up a few cracks in the block, replaced the valve springs.......blah blah it runs OK.

So I just bought another engine and trans (old style 28) and will be slowly building a replacement for the tired drivetrain that I've been having so much fun with.

1. Can anyone recommend a machine shop/babbitt service or shop in the Detroit area ?

2. Anyone ever make there own Dizzy from maybee a Pinto or some other common 4 cylinder engines dizzy ?

3. Anyone have any thoughts on lowering a stock A by cutting the second leafs and bending the eyes up (bad or good) ?

4. OK I,ll shut up now !

[​IMG]

21. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

1. no. probably couldn't find detroit on a map, suprised it hasn't fallen into the great lakes by now. ;)

2. Yes: Pinto and Datsun (SOSS has a good write up). It covers both dual point and dual plug set ups if I recall. Some one probably has a scan of it on here.

3. Reversing the eyes can be done by a spring shop. Lowering the car by apprx 1". The springs can be flattened out to gain 1" to 2" in additional lowering. Side note: you cannot use a normal spring spreader when installing reversed eye springs, not so much of an issue on the front but can be a pain on the rear...(though there ar creative ways around it)

4. why?

Last edited: Dec 1, 2008
  22. Wildfire

Wildfire

Shock - great looking tudor!

You can get quite a bit lower reversing eyes and relaxing the front spring. I don't know if going lower will goof up the mechanical brake geometry or not - someone on here probably does. That may be an issue with dropped front axles.... My tudor is about 6" lower than stock, but half is from a stepped rear frame and dropped front axle.

I picked up an FS ignition, I have heard that they are modified mazda pieces - more rumor - sorry.

23. RussTee

RussTee

hi guys just run a thought past you. With new cranks becoming avaliable has anyone thought of running an early AR motor[5 bearing camshaft ] with an overhead Also notice how many old time racers used multi plate clutches we run away from them but they seemed to prefer them ?

24. Welp, almost there. I got my carb linkage made, just need to make a fuel line from the firewall to the fuel pump. I had a good friend make this pipe that bolts to the modified section of the block to the lower radiator hose. It did not leak on my run in stand, but of course now it does, so I also gotta fix that...then it's start up time!!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

25. fordsteel

fordsteel
    from Elkland PA

Im almost in the banger club now got my motor mocked up if you can even call it that much. still need to gather more parts slow and steady one day i'll make it. need to set it in the frame so I can finnish my lake header wile i wait to find a crank.

you tell me if its a step in the right direction

[​IMG]

26. NINE INCH

NINE INCH

Good job, Chris. Lookin good Man. Hey guys, what happened to the t-shirt deal? Last I heard, we were doing a head count. Did I miss it? B

27. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

Brought my coupe home this weekend :)

I plan on running the banger, hop it up of course, can't wait to get started on it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

28. Nice Fencepost- thats a "powerhouse" generator only seen on early Model A's. I like the fan shroud, too...never really seen one on a stock model A. Looks to be a "Special coupe" with the top material going all the way down the back of the roof. Also, the ignition wire from the key is rather large, is it a "pop out"?

Go get em :D

29. PG

PG

Well I'm no where near anything progressive with my vehicle but your words on here have been supportive with ideas. I have joined the ranks, but still rummaging around finding parts. Sometime I'm hoping post pics of stuff I've learned from lurkin. In the mean while, keep up the posts.

Chris- That motor looks killer, saw the clip of it running. Bet your pretty stoked to get that slapped in and ready to run around the streets.

30. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

haha, how many different forums can we talk about my car on Chris?

For the guys who don't post on the Flyers board,

The car is indded a Special Coupe (leatherback), although it has the early style gen, it's not an AR. It also has a '32 tailight (already spoken for)

Now, here is my question... am I best to replace this generator with a 'newer' style one?