Register now to get rid of these ads!

Just bought the Black Panther custom

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gup, Nov 30, 2008.

1. gup

gup
    from Washington

I have known about this car being up for sale for a while now and last week the owner listed it on craigslist with a real resonable price tag. After looking at it ,and some phone negotiations, the Panther was mine. With some help from Paul and Sam, we picked it up yesterday and hauled her home. Its in need of some extensive rust repair, but luckily i have a decent parts car to cut up. As far as the cars history goes all i know is that it was built by Chuck Rogers who was Joe Bailons chief bodyman and it was featured in the Aug 1956 issue of Rod and Custom and the 1957 Custom Cars Annual. I am downloading some pics right now, if anybody has any more pics or info please share.

2. gup

gup
    from Washington

3. Lucky guy. Good luck on the rebuild, and keep us informed...

4. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

The sideways car behind it looks like a Caddy Sedanette 49 or so

So what was this car originally ?? Looks pretty neat

5. Wow, what a find! Lucky guy!

Max

6. FoMoCoPower

FoMoCoPower

I see it already has red wheels...someone started modernizing it huh?

Spooky likes this.
  7. gup

gup
    from Washington

it was a 49 or 50 buick that some one started to chop (poorly)but couldn't figure out the back window/trunk area so they quit. It was a complete piece of shit!!

8. Sure hope you dont leave the rear wheels radiused!!Looks goofy on a full custom.My2c

9. Lefty51

Lefty51

The Panther is totally tasteful and worth the effort to save. Good Luck. I also have a question. The yellow car in front of it? For old model building guys, it looks a lot like the first issue AMT 50 Ford conv't. With the chopped windshield, and the Crestliner top. I can tell the C pillars are not Crestliner, still the whole thing looks removable and very familiar. What about it old model car dudes?? Thanks Steve.

10. gup

gup
    from Washington

If i was to guess i would say small body, but i m not a buick guy, so i cant say for sure. the car is in the seattle area.

11. gup

gup
    from Washington

It was a chopped and sectioned 1951 ford crown victoria

12. belair

belair

Somebody save those 2 studebakers.

13. Gup, Cool man! If anyone will do that car justice it will be you. Keep us updated and make it happen. Do you have my phone number here in Tucson? Any pics of it in it glory days?Was the car black? You gonna start a new civil rights movement? Dale

14. Ol Blue

Ol Blue
    from In

From the 1957 Custom Cars annual:
    BLACK PANTHER '49 CHEVY
    Chuck Rodgers of Gridley, Calif is owner of the Black Panther Chevycustom on this page. Modified completely the jet black and dechromed coupe featurs a chopped top, a frenched, rolld front grille opening with a rather unusual grille consisting of a molded grille shell, two Olds bumper guards fitted into a rolled panel of the grille and two short pieces of chrome running from the grille opening to the directional lights. The rear view shows the elimination of a bumper bar and the vertical guards in it's place. Other fearures include rear fender scoops, frenched taillights, bucket seats and complete bar setup.

Sorry, no scanner and my computer was just rebuilt and for now I cannot load pictures. The front seat looks like a wrap-around bucket similar to the seats on a standard 37 Chevy.
    Ol Blue

15. Kustombuick

Kustombuick

Gup, Looks pretty cool, would like to see some pics of it back in the day....Did you find this in Sumner (looks like that area) or up north by you??? Keep us updated, Alan

16. gup

gup
    from Washington

17. skyrodder

skyrodder

Nice! what kind of back window is that out of?

18. gup

gup
    from Washington

They chopped down the stock window.

19. Right arm ed

Right arm ed
    from new jersey

its funny when a nice car is found people think its a barris car.

20. That's very cool Gup, Are you gonna put the full bar back in it?

21. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

cool looking car glad you saved it and hope you post some redo pictures as you progress that 4th picture down the front end shot made me chuckle the grill hole is puckered like the car ate a giant sour lemon

22. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

I was wondering when someone was going to buy that car. I seen it on craigslist for a week or so now and was hoping a HAMBer would buy it. how were the other cars he had listed for sale. looks like he about a half dozen or so..

23. henry29

henry29

Who said anything about Barris?

24. Right arm ed

Right arm ed
    from new jersey

its on the other post.

25. belair

belair

Didn't Barris invent the internet?

26. gup

gup
    from Washington

The car was kept in a private storage yard. Yes, most everything in there was for sale. The only car worth getting would be that chopped and sectioned shoebox ford, every thing else was absolute junk!!!!

27. Would the guy let someone cut parts like headlite buckets or tail light buckets off cars or does he want to sell them whole? There has to be some useable parts for a full custom connected to the junk.

28. RodP

RodP

Good to see this one is still around. It was one of the first full customs I remember seeing on the street.The owner was driving it into Douglas Samuels Used Cars on N. Main St. here in Salinas. I think what he did was take it to different businesses as an attraction. He probably had it for sale then too. It was all black and was kind of out of place at the time because custom painting and candy colors were just coming into play. The guy was primarily a bodyman and back then a Black lacquer was noted as a way to show off your body skills. The dark color hid a lot of the detail but the work was good and the basic style is not bad for that time. I think it was 1956????? I remember it being painted Yellow Pearl but I only saw pictures of that and it did not look good. I may have them somewhere I will have to take a look.

In my opinion it would be a real shame to see it get restyled from the original version that was in Car Craft or Rod & Custom back in the mid fifties. This would be a great car to restore authentically. Examples of work from Bailon's shop are fairly rare. Straighten up the body, paint it back black lacquer and redo the interior. It was fairly simple black & white with no pleats. There were Panther head designs sewed into the door panels and a very basic console with a wet bar. The motor was a six with some speed equipment and a bit of chrome. I remember it had a nice set of pipes. Thanks for bringing back some memories.
    RodP

29. Good info RodP. I know Gup is hoping some more photos of the car surface.