Register now to get rid of these ads!

1941 ford pickup project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kage, Nov 21, 2008.

1. Kage

Kage
    from Delano, TN

I wanted to share my latest project with everyone here...I hope you like it. But if you dont thats ok too because I love it..the orginal frame was rotten so i have been building my own out of 2x4 steel tubing. the seats are from an army L.M.T.V.. I have chopped the top 6 inches. should have it all welded up this weekend. the engine is a 66 model 289. its been bored 30 over, heads have been ported, polished, and 3 angle valve job, the cam is and isky with 438 lift and 290 lift, its running a weind stealth intake with a holley 650 double pump and a holley fuel pump. i only plan on running this engine until i can get my 312 y block rebuilt. I should have more pics posted this weekend.

Attached Files:

2. graythirtyford

graythirtyford

Good start bud, and keep the pics coming

3. dannyego

dannyego

Whats your plans for it? Paint? Bed? What are you doing for a front clip?

4. Kage

Kage
    from Delano, TN

I got most of the front suspension in this week plus the radiator. As soon as i finish the chop I will start work on the front clip. I am going to make my own grill because I cant find any that I really like. As far as paint goes I plan on painting the truck a Dark hunter green with a cream white scallop. I also have a set of 35 ford wire wheels for the truck.

5. Jarred Hodges

Jarred Hodges

looks good to me

6. Kage

Kage
    from Delano, TN

a few new pics to check out.

Attached Files:

7. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

sorry, don't like the chop. but, hey, it's yours and as long as you like it

8. Kage

Kage
    from Delano, TN

finally got most of the front suspension in. started mocking up the motor mounts. The next set of pics I post I should have the motor and trans mounted and also the front suspension all mocked up.

Attached Files:

9. dannyego

dannyego

Geez its beeen a couple of weeks, I thought you would be done by now:D Keep up the good work!

10. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Why'd you even leave any rear window opening in it at all? USPS doesn't deliver to pickup cabs and you can't see out of a mailslot.

11. smarg

smarg

a bobber truck kool

12. Kage

Kage
    from Delano, TN

I finally finishe the motor mounts and trans mount. Started mocking up the front end. I also have part of the floorboard finished. I also got the rear crossmember welded up. unfortunatly I ran out of welding gas before I could weld it into place. I should have pics of the floor board and trans tunnel on here by the end of the week. I am still trying to find a bed for the truck. anyways I hope you enjoy the pics.

Attached Files:

13. Guitar Guy

Guitar Guy

motor sure looks nice

14. Kage

Kage
    from Delano, TN

thats just a 302 a buddy of mine had that I could use for mock up the motor going into the truck is a 66 model 289. its been bored 30 over, running 9:1 flattop pistons, isky cam with a 438 lift and 290 duration, heads have been ported polished 3 angle valve job and 351 valve, it has a holley 110gph fuel pump weind stealth intake, holley 650 double pump and comp cam roller rockers. should move this little truck down the road with a purpose...lol

Attached Files:

15. Kage

Kage
    from Delano, TN

Its been a while since I have been online. Thought I would give everyone an update on my truck. Ive got almost everything mocked up. Im trying to get it running for the lonestar round up in austin...its going to get close. since these pics were taken I've shortened the bed 10 inches..I have also included a pic of what I hope the truck will look like when finished. let me know what you think.

Attached Files:

16. Kage;
    VERY cool!! Gett'n er done too !! Bravo!
    Did you use the old front axle or get a new one?
    If you are not using the old axle and spindles, I could use the spindles if they are good.
    PM Me.... Lets talk.
    Thanks,
    Bob :D

17. Kage

Kage
    from Delano, TN

I got a new front axel but i used the orginal spindals. If I wouldnt have you would have been more than welcome to them. I do have a few other parts left over from the truck. let me know what your looking for and Ill see what I can do.

P.S. And by the way I am officially a member of the Hooligans Car Club!!

18. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

You'll need some serious outside rearview mirrors or a panoramic periscope up top to safely drive that truck on the street. When you cut it you could easily have left the rear window usable instead of vestigal.

Be safe.

19. great truck. i like the 6 inch chop. any recent pics?

20. axle

axle
    from Drag City

Put it back on top of the frame and put fenders on it. Trust me.

21. Johnny C.

Johnny C.

Sweet truck. The chop look great. Low and mean, just right.

22. metalman

metalman

I'll second that. To be honest I'm personally tired of late 30's/ 40s PU cabs be done on a heavy Z'ed frame with no fenders and early grills ( or tractor grills). IMHO they lean way more towards "RR" then tradional. 40/41 Ford trucks were one of the best looking Henry put out, they look great hot rodded with a stock body, just a mild chop if anything.

23. I'm with Axle, 40-41 ford trucks, full fendered and subtly/tastefully hot rodded...in my opinion, the coolest trucks ever!! I'll build one my way someday!

But like the fella says, he likes it so that's really all that matters....that and safety!

Best of luck on the project,

Steve

24. bibb86

bibb86

hey man i think the truck looks sweet. my next one will be a 41 chevy built similar to yours. keep it up

25. Ravenwood

Ravenwood
    from Texas

Go easy on Kage about the chop. Everyone is allowed one booboo in his lifetime. One? Heck I've committed dozens of 'em.

Of course, none was the mutilation of a sweet ol' '41 Ford 1/2 ton.

Still, that doesn't mean he'll be condemned to spend eternity on a planet with only Yugos to drive. What am I saying? Of course it does! :D

26. Kage

Kage
    from Delano, TN

Thanks for all of the comments on the truck. I know some of you dont agree with the way I did my truck...but it is my truck and I did it the way I wanted to! I know I could have left a larger back window but i wanted the mail slot instead. I prefer the open fender look myself and just like they early hot rodders I was trying to shed all the extra weight I can. As a matter of fact I still have 3 of the trucks fenders in the back yard if anyone needs them. My truck is a true mixture of traditional built and rat. I have built the whole thing in my garage with very little money and no real help. I use as many orginal parts as I can and only buy what I have to. the orginal frame was to far gone to use and was rusted thru in four diffrent places. The frame I built will be extremly safe. Tho it is heavely zed it is braced all over. I add more support to it almost every week. Evne if my truck is not running in time I plan on towing it down to the Lonestart roundup to show off my work. Thanks again for all the feed back...keep it coming.

27. HotRod33

HotRod33

it is a little different then I would have done but it is a great truck.....

28. Kage

Kage
    from Delano, TN

Its been a while since I have been on here. The army has been keeping me busy. I didnt get my truck ready for the roundup but I should make it to the 1st tx billetproof show. I know it will come down to the wire to get it finished. here are some of the latest pic. i will have more on here by the end of the week. hope to see some of you at billet proof!

Attached Files:

29. Kage

Kage
    from Delano, TN

here are a couple more pics.

Attached Files:

30. manyolcars

manyolcars

I have been driving a 1939 Ford pickup every day for 16 years.
    That thing you are making might be used once in a while, maybe, but not like a real truck :)