Register now to get rid of these ads!

TECH-----Trunk lid skin removal----TECH

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Topless Ford, Oct 2, 2008.

1. Topless Ford

Topless Ford

After a two year search I finally acquired a trunk lid that was in better shape than anything else I have found. Problem is, a some point it sat upside down in the weather and filled with water. When you pick it up it sounds like there is popcorn in there. I decided that the skin needed to come off and the inside metal needed work before the outside did. There are no skins out there so I couldn't grind it off and replace it so here is what I came up with.

I welded two pieces of 1/8 strap at a 90* angle and sharpened the edges, see pic.
    [​IMG]

Start tapping the wedge into and under the crimp and it will raise slightly as you go.
    [​IMG]

This is as far as you should go with the wedge.
    [​IMG]

Now pry the wedge back and forth moving the metal a little bit at a time.
    [​IMG]

Remove the wedge. Here is a pliers that I welded a flange to.
    [​IMG]

Use the pliers by placing the lower jaw against the edge and slowly work the flange up.
    [​IMG]

This is what you will be left with if you take your time.
    [​IMG]

God willing, you should be able to re-use the original skin. It takes a lot of time but when the replacement parts don't exist it just may help keep your panels from rotting from the inside out.
    I hope this helps someone out there.

:)

Last edited: Oct 2, 2008
  2. No_Respect

No_Respect
    from So-Cal

Hay good Job with the home made tools they rock! So i guess this is a galaxie trunk lid?? Do you have any pictures of the skin off?

3. blackout

blackout

Nice tech, thanks

4. oilslinger53

oilslinger53
    from covina CA

imma have to copy dem tools!

5. beaulieu

beaulieu
    from So Cal

I like it ,

Have you made any tools to close it up later ?

Beaulieu

6. Topless Ford

Topless Ford

Here is what to do after you have raised the crimp around the perimiter of the lid.

Get some wooden trim shims, carefully slide the shims between the skin and the frame where there is no panel adhesive.
    [​IMG]

Next, get your thinnest putty knife, mine was broken prior to this but the shape worked well. Stab that thing around between the frame and the skin and find the spots where the old panel adhesive has the skin glued to the frame. Warm the area (not shown) where the glue is with a small propane torch or heat gun. The glue will soften slightly and then you tap the knife with a hammer till the bond is broken. Add a shim where the glue was to keep it apart. Keep the shims in till the frame cools and the heat will not be transmitted to the sheetmetal skin.

[​IMG]

Here is the skin without the frame.

[​IMG]

Here is the frame.

[​IMG]

All of this evil debris was trapped between the skin and the frame. i am sure it would have come back to haunt me later by either rotting out or dusting fresh paint with rust dust. I really only want to build this car one time.

[​IMG]

I hope it helps.........

Last edited: Oct 4, 2008
  7. Topless Ford

Topless Ford

8. That came out nice.

9. mwhistle

mwhistle
    from sacramento

Great job. Thanks for sharing home made tools and technique. I learned a lot.

10. Hansa1100

Hansa1100
    from Norway

Great tip there, exactly what I need to do to my doors!

11. great homemade tools glad i seen this first