Register now to get rid of these ads!

33-34 Dodge Pickup Progress Pics

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 34dodgehemi, Sep 5, 2008.

1. 34dodgehemi

34dodgehemi

First things first I'm only 19 years old so dont be too hard on me... Everything is still kinda mocked-up, especially the front end. There's still a lot of work to but we're gettin there.

PS, I NEED A DRIVERS SIDE DOOR!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. 34dodgehemi

34dodgehemi

3. 34dodgehemi

34dodgehemi

The last picture is an old one, before the frame. I was going to run a 40 front axle suicide but i decided against it. I decided to go with a new dropped axle, quarter elliptical front end.. I am still using the 35 wires all the way around.

4. classicfins

classicfins

Awesome work! I see some ideas I'm going to steal for my '26 Dodge RPU project. Keep the progress pics coming!

5. 34dodgehemi

34dodgehemi

The suicide doors is what got me..

6. TOE

TOE

Hey, I wish I took some pics of your truck when I was out there last weekend!

Lookin' good.

7. Mat Thrasher

Mat Thrasher

Looks dam good. Nice fab work and I love the Dodge cabs.
    Mat

8. rdg51

rdg51

Very nice work so far. This is just right. As to being "too critical, you're only 19"? Imagine how good you'll be when you're twenty! :)
    RG

9. 2-TONED

2-TONED

Those are AWESOME trucks!
    i really like the work youve done thus far VERY NICE! - im sure thats going to be a work of art when done hurry up & finish it i want to see it!
    ------- im kind of a: up on the frame full fendered kind of guy but i dig that truck!

10. TP

TP
    from conroe tx

Looks good to me no matter what your age. Are your frame rails tapered or the holes being differant sizes make it look tapered. Good job. Wish to hell I was 19. TP

11. Toymont

Toymont
    from Montana

Great work so far, Love the fab work on the brackets and lightening holes, Great to see the Hemi in a Dodge instead of going the simple route with a SBC

12. hvychvy

hvychvy

Damn good lookin work,nothing to be hard on you about,keep up the good work,and more pics.

13. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

great job , i really dig the head lite mounts and the simple yet clean engine mounts are cool to , lots of neat detail ,

14. jj mack

jj mack

Hey Great looking truck!!!

Is there a piece of metal that you have not put a hole in? :D

BTW I like holes!!!! except the stinky ones.....

15. 34dodgehemi

34dodgehemi

TP: The front rails are tapered. We pie cut the rails then welded em back up.. I'll try to find soe pictures. Ive got some somewhere...

jj: haha you figured out my theme.. I knew i wanted em in the frame and, well, they just looked good in everything else..

16. axeman39

axeman39
    from Saco Maine

Is it ok to use leaf springs in that manner, welded to the frame? I've never seen that done before.

17. 34dodgehemi

34dodgehemi

The springs are bolted to a plate and the plate is welded to the frame. The sole purpose of that plate is for mock-up purpose only. I plan on cutting a square opening in the bottom of the frame and weld a 1/2''x4" block into the bottom of the frame and drill and tap two holes in it. Then im using two 5/8 bolts to go up through the springs into the frame. In another week or so i'll have the springs done.. I'll post some updated pics then...

18. plmczy

plmczy

Damn for being only 19 you seem to know what your doing and have a plan on what you want. Looks really good don't be so hard on yourself. later shawn

19. BadLuck

BadLuck

You've got my respect.....great work...I'm gonna keep an eye on this build!:)

20. blackmopar

blackmopar
    from fallbrook

looks really great man - dig the swiss cheese! agree with others - dont see anything to be hard on ya for - keep up the good work man!

if ya got any step by pics of the front spreader Id love to see

21. Lots of 33-34 Mopar stuff on the H.A.M.B. today! Good luck on the door, I had a hell of a time finding mine.
    Nice to see you didn't run the front axle sticking out two feet in front of the engine as so many seem to be doing. Although you did some real pretty work on the rear axle, sure would have been nice if you did quarter elliptics back there insteaed of coil overs. Don't get me wrong, nice work, just a little too modern for my taste. If the bed covers it up, it's a moot point anyway. Still a nice project, especially for a guy your age.

22. Very nice work.

What locates the front axle besides the springs ?

23. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

It looks great Kev. You've been busy this summer.:D

24. blackmopar

blackmopar
    from fallbrook

damn, the more i look at this thing the more i like so far - Id really liek to see some step by step on swiss cheesin the spreader and front rails - or were these prefabbed parts? Im maybe considering doing this on my stakebed rails - for my 48 project

25. 34dodgehemi

34dodgehemi

Unkl Ian: Im using shocks too. In one picture you can see one on the drivers side. They mount to the headlight brackets...

Blackmopar: Nothing is prefabbed. The spreader bar is made out of 1 1/2 solid stock. I cut two pieces of 1 1/2 stock to length and milled the ends to the angle i had determined. We then welded to bars into the v shape and i ground the welds smooth. To drill the holes i first used an end mill (size of my desired hole) to spot-face the bar (because it was in the vise on an angle you cant use a drill). Then i drilled a pilot hole followed by a 1/2 (same size as end mill). As for the rails ill find those pics somewhere....

I cant take all of the fabricating credit. My dad is a machinist and my older brother has lots of fabbing experience as well. So i've always had someone to at least show me how to do something, although i usually try my way first, just to realize i should have listened to dad in the first place..

26. 34dodgehemi

34dodgehemi

Richard D: I agree with what you say about the rear suspension, It would have been neat to go quarter elliptical all the way around but part of being 19 is surviving off a paycheck of a 19 year old.. haha im sure you know what i mean.. And someone offered me free coilovers so I compromised. Plus like you mentioned, they will be hidden!

27. I hear ya. Not knocking your work at all. After reading that you have access to machine tools, I see how you did such clean work. I have a lathe and mill myself, just gotta learn to use them. I've played with the 9" Southbend a little, but I have yet to get the mill hooked up; gotta convert it to single phase.

28. I noticed the front corners of your cowl are a little chewed up. I found patch panels, if you search my '34 Plymouth thread you my find the source, or in a few posts to other threads. My new job has me too busy to look it up myself. Good luck.

29. blackmopar

blackmopar
    from fallbrook

very cool, thanks for responding - wish i had the access to your shop - might give it a go anyway though!
    Im thinkin the rails of a stakebed might look interesting with holes, along with the stake side brackets - still throwin itaround in the head anyways

no disrespect to true traditional parts, and i know what theyre sayin about keepin it 100%, but im one of opinion that doin it yourself with available parts IS traditional in its own right - if the guys in the 50's had everything that we can source today i gotta beleive theyd be usin it all in creative ways - similar to how you, me and all kinds of others have

that said - 1/4 elips in the rear woulda been cool - hehe

Last edited: Sep 9, 2008