Register now to get rid of these ads!

Mfg of special parts ..looking for projects

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Big Dad, Aug 3, 2008.

1. Big Dad

Big Dad

What I'm looking for is a part or parts that needs to be made that is not currently

Do not have the ability to cast alum parts, like valve covers, etc
    and not really interested in making a one off bracket of some sort

More like 4 bar brackets, motor mount stuff anything that we can make several of ..25 ? 100 ? 500 ? --More ?

Anything out there that you have said to yourselves, wish they would make a ??

The shop is well equipped to do anything , and it does NOT have to be auto related

Here is the webpage, it only shows just a tiny bit of what we can do here
    http://sadberrymetalworks.com.p4.hostingprod.com/

Made some exhaust flanges for a person here for a poly 318 Mopar and some sets of the same for a Big cube B1 headed Mopar race motor

Anyone got any ideas, ol Greg is a hand guy to know !!

2. How about:
    1. Ford "Lincoln" (self energizing) style brake backing plates (front and back) that beat the Speedway prices. For anyone wanting to convert to the Bendix style self energizing brakes.
    2. "Duval" speedboat style roadster windshield frames in steel (rather than cast) to be painted or chromed by the buyer. One style with a center divider and one without. Check out the prices for these things in the catalogs!

Building a roadster now and would like to have one of those style windshields but they are radical expensive!

Ya could do any number of things allready out there but beat the other guys on their prices.
    Yeah, go for it....................................

Last edited: Aug 3, 2008
  3. kenagain

kenagain
    from so cal

I would suggest header flanges for model
    a's exhaust

4. Bodacious

Bodacious

Long tube headers for the Mopar flat six. Nothing currently available except for shorties and split manifolds.

5. Big Dad

Big Dad

Its hard to compete with something made already ..in the case of speedway, they most likely order 1000's of something, if someone was to order 1000's them made here

I'm sure the price would be less ..

and it does not have to be automotive related although that is what is prefered to make

Looking for a need and not something that can only make 1 of ..

6. Goztrider

Goztrider
    from Tulsa, OK

How about some sort of gauge bezel that'll hold a pair of 5" gauges centered in a Model A dash panel and will also cover up the recess where the old gauge panel and fuel tank went? I'm talking almost a bolt in, drill a few holes and mount panel that'll have a classic/classy look, but not require the entire dash to be remade to fit. Buyer would have to cut off the 'tunnel' as it protrudes from the bottom of the dash.

This is, of course, for someone who is converting their old stock A tank into an actual dash.

You see so many of those 'off the shelf' gauge holders that are mounted in flat type dashes, but I'm thinking of something that would wrap around the bottom of the front of the dash, then lay flat against the face of the dash itself. Maybe the old nickel look, but just nice and neat and looks like it belongs there - not that it was put there as an afterthought.

7. Big Dad

Big Dad

Is there nothing that they don't already make ?

Any need for some type of tail light housings, or a different kind of wheel center cap ( thiinking like those spiders but maybe a bit different)

Dash panel would be do-able but, out of what kind of material ?

Any other ideas ? ..

8. Goztrider

Goztrider
    from Tulsa, OK

Do it out of aluminum for ease of construction? I know people scream about billet, but when polished it'll be nice enough looking and maybe not as shiny as chrome, but still great looking. Would save completely changing the dash or covering the entire thing. It'd be just nice to be able to convert the center part of the "A" dash without changing everything over.

It could also be powerdercoated or painted as well. I'd probably do one in black to accent the yellow on the body of my RPU.

9. Cowl steering that uses the more street-friendly Mopar gears in a fabricated/extended steel box. There have been MANY inquiries here about that type of steer gear.

10. striper

striper

Sacramento Vintage Ford has a few varieties of gauge panels for "A"s. Not a twin 5" but definitely for extra 2 1/8" or whatever the standard little gauge size is. They fit the standard A dash.

Pete

11. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

How about a BFH to smash some sense into these polititians that are allowing all of our manufacturing to go off shore. Sorry, I own a metal stamping business and I know how hard it is to find business these days.

Good Luck!!!

12. Silent_Orchestra

Silent_Orchestra
    BANNED
    from Omaha, NE

How about header flanges for straight 8 buicks? and maybe olds rockets, don't know if anyone makes them....If you made flanges for some different inlines you might be surprised at how many people want them...Str8 Buicks, 223 Fords, Mopar Flat 6s, and some others...Maybe like U-Fab intake kits for some of the above engines too.

13. Big Dad

Big Dad

Making exhaust flanges is a can do item but, it takes longer to set up the machine to cut them than you can charge if someone only wants one set

Like the poly 318 ones for example .. made a set and then no one else wanted any ?

Made 3 sets of the ones for the b-1 heads ..

Greg does it the stuff just to stay busy really, he sold his business a year ago (perfect timingfor him too:D )

I have found him a couple things to make a few of ..

Looks like I have about 10 orders for Small Block Mopar valve cover spacers

14. Still like the idea of a "Duval" speedboat style windshield frame for roadsters. Punched out steel not cast. Could fit T's, A's, B's, one of a kind roadsters, and every thing in between. Might check out the HAMB posts on those who have freestyled their own. ...........................

15. Big Dad

Big Dad

Made these little slicks ..Note the bead locks, nice detail

Does that give anyone an idea :confused:

16. PM sent

----

Don't worry,if you do find something decent to make,the vultures will have it knocked off in China pretty damn quick.

17. Motorbreath

Motorbreath

Those slicks give me the idea that i would like a set of them, but i dont have any cash.....

18. 3x2rocket

3x2rocket

How about headers and hi-flow exhaust manifolds for rocket engines? In the rare occasion that I see a set on ebay they always go for insane money. There is certainly some demand for them and many of us lack the tooling needed to make our own. I think the same could be said for early hemis and nailheads as well.

19. Big Dad

Big Dad

No way of casting parts

20. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Do you ever read the posts by <TABLE class=tborder id=post2918447 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=thead style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e5e5e5 0px solid; BORDER-TOP: #e5e5e5 1px solid; FONT-WEIGHT: normal; BORDER-LEFT: #e5e5e5 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #e5e5e5 1px solid"><!-- status icon and date -->[​IMG] 06-26-2008, 06:06 PM <!-- / status icon and date --></TD><TD class=thead style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e5e5e5 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #e5e5e5 1px solid; FONT-WEIGHT: normal; BORDER-LEFT: #e5e5e5 0px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #e5e5e5 1px solid" align=right> #1 </TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e5e5e5 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #e5e5e5 0px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #e5e5e5 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #e5e5e5 0px solid" width=175>HotRodChassis<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_2918447", true); </SCRIPT>
    Alliance Vendor

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>Maybe you will find something to interest you.

21. Big Dad

Big Dad

again, if its already made ...Unless you wanted many of that part, would not be able to make one for less ..

And ,can't engineer pieces just based off of a loose description

22. budd

budd

i wish someone made a gage set to check model-a fender and running board brackets, maybe out of 10ga alum. the dam things are always bent and what is the correct shape?

23. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Maybe you could take a pole to see what trans adapter is unavalible that is worth making. Other things might be water pump adapters. Now I can buy Chevy pump to Chrysler. How about to Cad. Cool timing chain covers for Olds or other (Y Block) engines that allow a BBC pump. Things like that. You will need to do some research before comming out with almost anything new.

24. forty1

forty1

How about a ' universal windshield crank -out assembly'----
    NO ONE Makes these anymore...
    NO ONE....balls in your court.
    -41-

25. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

The pair of slicks is your product. Sell em personalized with a company or person's name on the sidewall.

My advice as a manufacturing person would be when you make the one-offs, make them 3 or 4 offs. You're alot more likely to sell something on the shelf and the bay is probably the place to sell it. good luck

26. Motorbreath

Motorbreath

I agree, that is a great idea.

27. Big Dad

Big Dad

Anyone have a picture of one so I can see if we can do it ?

ps

Got one request I believe we can fill, its not hamb-a-rific though :(

28. Weasel

Weasel

1933-35 Willys crank out windshield assemblies are being reproduced and not in Asia either - not cheap but beautifully made - cast, polished and chrome plated.

29. Big Dad

Big Dad

Not able to cast parts ..

More like some type of spacers, something carved into metal like this piston top

30. touchdowntodd

touchdowntodd

man, i would LOVE to have a windshield crank out type thing for my model a... 5" chop leaves me a lil tight to use the stock one, but ill probably find a way before i pay someone hahah