Register now to get rid of these ads!

lowering a staight axle ford f100?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by matthew mcglothin, Jul 20, 2008.

1. matthew mcglothin

matthew mcglothin

i have a 64 f100 ,lowering the back is not a problem but the front baffles me. are there any tricks on lowering the front. whats the most drop i can get using the straight axle. i do not want to front clip it or add aftermarket suspension. please help!

2. skidsteer

skidsteer

Never saw one lowered with out the options you have already ruled out. A Nova subframe matches up so-o-o-o-o nice, whatya got against it?

3. Larry T

Larry T

I wonder if they're the same setup as 56 Ford? Mid Fifty Pickup Parts has lowered springs, dropped axles, any combination you need for the earlier trucks.
    Larry T

4. Villlage Idiot

Villlage Idiot

5. FoMoCoPower

FoMoCoPower

You can buy a dropped axle,lowering springs,etc,etc.

6. Mudslinger

Mudslinger

You can take a few leaf springs out of the front. I did this to my F1 and maybe later I will do the dropped axle. I want to drive it first and see how it feels.

7. yekoms

yekoms

8. misterwhitefolkz

misterwhitefolkz

I got a 58,pretty close,so here's what I did-reverse eyes on the main springs,flipped the axle onto the top of the springs(required making saddle mounts,new 6 inch long u-bolts custom made,shortened pitman arm about 1 1/2 inches,stepped the drag link ends to reduce angle of ends where they mount,c-notched the frame above the axle to get room for axle to travel) Tie rod will sit above the springs with just enough clearance for operation. Mine has a 302/c4 with speedway crossmembers and front sump pan,so everything clears on mine no problemo. Stock shocks work still,no drop axles to buy,no hokey tie rod drop kits to mess with,no need to mess with kingpins or core charges...worked for me. I added a big steering stabilizer from Rancho(made my own mounts) to keep the steering a little tighter too. A little more work than the bolt-on way,but WAY cheaper. Will give 6+ inches of drop.

9. Consider a dropped axel for this thing. Contact Sid Dropel aka/Nostalgia Sids in Guthrie, OK. www.droppedaxles.com. He has two presses and I've seen him drop these axles. Uses original axles for your specific application and creates a great product. Ya can't go wrong this way.........................

10. Jimbo302

Jimbo302
    from Micronesia

I like this over the spring setup and am planning to do the same on my 62.

[​IMG]

11. Mattilac

Mattilac

I recently lowered my '64 F100 by flipping one of the leafs OVER the main leaf upside-down (in negative arc), and then clamping it all back together. Overall it lowered the truck about 3-4". It rides pretty well too and bottoms out only on rare occasions.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As far as I'm concerned, this is the best and lowest way you can go without spending any money.

olgraybeard likes this.
  12. cornbinder52

cornbinder52
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Will the spring flip cause problems with the steering components, or do they stay stock? I don't want it to bumpsteer real bad.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2008
  13. dieselbronco

dieselbronco
    from jamesburg

putting the axle on the top of the springs will give you some bump steer i did this to my 61 not to bad but it is there

14. Mattilac

Mattilac

I haven't had any problems with bumpsteer. The steering still feels pretty much the same as stock.

This truck is my main driver, so I've been driving it all over the place, and I haven't had a single problem with the flipped springs. It really doesn't ride too bad.

15. ten thumb

ten thumb
    from texas

Don't worry about that truck. Work on your bike so I can ride it. I still want those wheels.

16. cornbinder52

cornbinder52
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks guys, it will be my driver too, but it doesn't sound too bad.

17. That doesn't look very low.

18. Mattilac

Mattilac

Yeah, unfortunately, its really not. The truck still sits about a foot off the ground now :eek:, but you should’ve seen how it sat at stock height. All flipping the leaf did was take the edge off the tippity-top farm truck look. I didn’t want to hack the frame and spend money to get it down up front, so this is the lowest possible while retaining a little bit of travel clearance.

19. fasttimes

fasttimes
    from NC

I have 64 f 100 short bed that I dropped. I found a two inch dropped axle at a swap meet for $80.00. It is mounted above the spring and I have gone with a monoleaf front spring with custom brackets. I can go lower but I would hit the oil pan on the yblock. The rear is custom four link system, I am going to run some Hurst Racing tires 16" x 12" pie crust whitewalls.

20. jaxx

jaxx

you can use the front cradle fron an A body Mopar - Fits nicely to the arch of the frame - mid 70s chrys. use transverse tortion bars - no rear cross member required for bar mounts. simple fit - dont even have to move the steering box- Our5kids has done this to a 59 and is starting a 58 in a couple of weeks - works thru 66 - Jaxx

21. 4cfed

4cfed
    BANNED
    from wisconsin

my 66 f100 is dropped something like 6-8 inches, rear was easy, cut perches off the bottom of the frame and moved them to the top, as far as the front, i havent looked to see how they dropped it, but i can in the morning,

here is a picture of mine ( bought it like you see it)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

22. dullchrome

dullchrome
    from SoCal

Have you looked into a shop that can reverse the eyes on your leaf springs?

23. "Whitey Ford" 62 Uni

"Whitey Ford" 62 Uni
    from Tampa, FL

Dropped axle is the way to go. Mine is a drop axle 3"-4" and no leaves taken out. I have a 352 cast iron anchor so its pretty heavy....

24. Mattilac

Mattilac

I've always felt like dropping the already low axle 3-4" over stock is just putting it too close to the ground for clearance. It just seems that way from all the pictures I've seen and looking at my own.

25. RichG

RichG

'66 is twin I-beam, '64 is still a straight axle.

Reverse the spring yourself and leave a little of the arch out of it, that'd be the easiest and cheapest way to get some drop.

...here is a link to an idea I'm thinking seriously about using on my daughters '64:
    http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/716058-buildup-06-crown-vic-front-suspension-into-67-f100.html

Last edited: Jun 3, 2009
  26. Big Khaunaa

Big Khaunaa

this is what i did and this i where mine sits

[​IMG]

27. nolan769

nolan769

Could u put up a pic of the underneath of ur truck showing the dropped axle on top o the leafs

28. TCURRIER

TCURRIER
    Alliance Vendor
    from michigan

29. 56boracho

56boracho
    from lot

would flipping one spring over the main leaf work a 51 ford f100